No announcement yet.

walkie talkie ( best ones, worst ones)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• walkie talkie ( best ones, worst ones)

Hello we are looking to get a set of walkie talkies so we all can keep in touch with each other when the haunt is running. Was just wondering if any of you have any ideas on which ones are the best value for this?
    Thanks Joe
    In Darkness they hunt the living
    http://www.DarkMatterScreamWorks.com

Well we just went through phase one of walkie talkie ownership- cheap Talkabout radios and cheap single pin ear pieces. I'm done with those forever!.

I asked the same question a little while back and someone with a lot of experience was kind enough to give me their opinion. It really depends on your event, but the bottom line is you get what you pay for, and with walkie talkies you are going to have to pay! Motorola CLS1410 is what I'm looking at now based on the information that I was given, what I've read online, and what my event needs are/are going to be.
    How can a man die better than facing fearful odds, for the ashes of his fathers and the temple of his gods.

What you put into your mind- you put into your life.

www.zombietoxin.com

Comment

I don't know best or worse. I can only tell you my experience. I bought 18 sets (36 total) of these:

Uniden GMR 1636-2C 2-Way Radios, black, two radios
      http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ls_o03_s00_i00

The rechargeable batteries were useless but the walkies only cost me about $14 each at the time. We used supercheap AAA batteries that would last about 2 days (8 hours'ish). So we spent about $20 on batteries for 2 day increments. We used them 8 nights and they worked great for us. We had about 12 to 15 people on these cheap headsets too:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ls_o03_s01_i00

No real problems except for one or two headsets that appeared to be faulty. We were all outdoors with people up to 1/2 mile apart with rolling hills and trees. No reception problems.

Comment

thanks for your input! we are a small haunt don't need some thing that can go for miles just for an indoor haunt.
        Was just wondering what ones people are using out there and how well the work.
        Joe
        In Darkness they hunt the living
        http://www.DarkMatterScreamWorks.com

Comment

Pro when I can afford it

I have two radios that are 2 mile radios, and we have found these to reach much farther than two miles. I use these with my crew during the day when we are setting up, loading effects, etc.

At night, I use the small GRMS radios everyone is talking about, either Uniden or Cobra work great for us. We are a distance apart and have lots of trees and some terrain between our main haunt and our outdoor haunt, and these things work great even with the obstacles. I will continue to use these for a few more years until I can afford (and justify) the expense to Professional Commercial-Grade Motorola radios.

I actually carry one of the Motorola radios every night, because I am in a campground and need to be in contact with the campground staff all night, so I use two radios. I love the Motorola radios but they are $350 apiece. I have found some that are only $250 each, but when you need about 12 radios, this gets expensive and they need to be justified (for me anyway).

If you use the GMRS radios, most come with "privacy" features. Buy all the same model so the privacy will work with all the radios. This keeps outside interference from other GMRS radio uses in the area.

When I am working a big show (I do concert production as well) I am usually carrying a Motorola Commercial radio, but someone else pays for that!
          Travis "Big T" Russell
          President
          Big T Productions Inc

Owner and Operator of "The Plague" and "Camp Nightmare"

Customer Quote of the year: "Damn, I pissed myself"

Comment

Working...
          X