No announcement yet.

Question for all you owners?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Work is work, and no matter how you look at it-it is still a 4 letter word. I never get tired of creating, planning or testing ideas-but YES, dealing with the public can be a total p.i.t.a.!!

I'm a total mainliner I guess...There's rarely a day I'm not thinking/talking/doing something haunt related. Even doing black tie events I find my mind wandering to "could I incorporate a particular element of this into the business"?

Workaholic

Kathryn
    Kathryn DeSautell
    Lafitte's Landing, Dark Shadows Entertainment

Comment

Then -- There is The Ravens Grin Inn.

I am given a pile of lumber, old boards, whatever? I get strange items cast off into my yard from people meaning to help or inspire me. I can not begin to count the items or the people who have done these things, and they have helped me, much moreso than not.
      I have gotten some of my ideas from a half-waking state as the mind starts waking up from a full night's sleep.
      I build parts of things that will sometimes set for many years before the other half (As I see it) happened to show up in my realm of influence.
      I have drawn plans for things, lose the plans, even forget about the project, build it later, find those old plans to see I have duplicated what was on that first rendering.
      I wanted just the backend of a classic hearse. Eventually a friend who knew this, happened to run into a person who "HAD" to get rid of several hearses and I got what I wanted. I just had to drive 80 miles, cut off the parts, load them and drive back home. If my Brother had not been with me, the "part" would still be there! Very heavy!
      So I have an idea, I spy some parts to make it, I work on it til maybe 5pm, then I rest, shower, eat Supper and wait...people show up, I take them through the house and most of the time I have a lot of fun doing this! Last night just three were here, two women , one man. they had driven maybe 3 hours just to get here. The women have been here before, the one three years ago.
      As adults I gave them the more adult tour. When the house lights went up, the one woman was tending to tears in her eyes, she explained how when she laughs hard, she gets tears.
      As I lead them through here I point out numerous props, items ,I have made or have a story about and I usually will be telling about some past customer's experiences here which proved to be very entertaining! (And Still is, second, third-hand!)
      Seeing and being right there to see how something I built works on real customers helps me adjust sometimes small things to make it more effective. Some of my customers have helped with this too and not just from a reactive position.
      Last night's tour for 3 went on for 3 hours, not uncommon (Except in October)They were having a good time as was I. I did ask them while still in the first room if they were on a "Time" consideration and had to be out of here or someplace else at a certain time?
      They did not, so inspired , I delve deeper into my material (stored between my ears) and explore what aspects of my house they may be More interesting in hearing about, along with what I may wish to tell them on this night?
      At last night's conclusion the guy (the first-timer) said he was coming back here.. "For revenge?" I asked. (Which unfortunately does happen when haunt/October customers leave pisst, in my opinion)
      "I'm bringing so many people here!" There was a slightly evil twinge in his diction as if ..... well, I don't really know..
      I used to work outside, next to the house all Winter long, the sun could find me there and a tarp and other windbreaks helped sustain the ambition to be out there, "Doing", but as I get older, standing out in the cold trying to do fine finger and hand work is really not pleasant on the aged body.
      I can become somewhat burnt out on customers who are idiots and some employees who do it "Their Way", which becomes an entertainment Black Hole often times.
      Only holding a very effective prop up to your own neck and saying stupid things was found to not "Make IT" as compared to the methods I had already determined to be the best from all standpoints,which created screaming customer I have moreover a Great Time haunting, building ,figuring things out and I do everything year-round!
      Shoveling snow, raking leaves, trimming limbs does become boring though
      hauntedravensgrin.com

Comment

I tell you what I was down in Orlando during the Thanksgiving Holiday visting the Disney parks. All I could think about was my haunt the entire time and was busy observing the fine details of certain rides and how I could re-create something like it.
        ~Bill Mlinac
        The Deadland Haunted House
        www.facebook.com/Deadlandhauntedhouse
        www.Thedeadland.comsigpic

Comment

Not me Shane!

Headed to Disney end of the week. Taking my wife and meeting my Mom and Dad there. Taking in all the Christmas decorations there while there is still time. I'll ponder day in day out about haunting when I'm dead; and not until. Sure I'll scan HauntWorld a few times each week (except when on vacation). Haunting to me is a sideline to farming. April - end of harvest (early till late Nov. depending on year) is many 100 hour weeks. Haunting during fall harvest and wheat planting is just f'n nuts! Early nov. tear it down..label it..store it. Drop a couple deer Nov. 15th here in Michigan and get a hair cut a few days before thanksgiving. Then slowly transform back to human for a few months.

Come April the beast returns. And he tears up ground belching diesel exhaust and slashing the coutry side with steel machines cutting 30 foot wide swaths. And he is likely head banging to Ozzy's "Crazy train".

Wicked farmer

Comment

Originally posted by Motograter View Post
            I tell you what I was down in Orlando during the Thanksgiving Holiday visting the Disney parks. All I could think about was my haunt the entire time and was busy observing the fine details of certain rides and how I could re-create something like it.
            Well you had plenty of time to think about haunt ideas while you were down there because your too tall to ride any of the rides. You should have walked the hogwarts que line and moved their lights...
            Jared Layman

Comment

Originally posted by mindtumor View Post
              Well you had plenty of time to think about haunt ideas while you were down there because your too tall to ride any of the rides. You should have walked the hogwarts que line and moved their lights...
              I wasn't able to move any lights this time because they are permanently installed.
              ~Bill Mlinac
              The Deadland Haunted House
              www.facebook.com/Deadlandhauntedhouse
              www.Thedeadland.comsigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Motograter View Post
                I wasn't able to move any lights this time because they are permanently installed.
                I'm guessing that means you tried, lol! I'll have to go with you next time.
                Jared Layman

Comment

Working...
                X