Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flashlight only section?

Hey guys,

My haunt is in two separate sections with two different themes. For one of them, I'm toying around with the idea of having minimal to zero lighting in the scenes and the patrons only have one or two flashlights to use. But there are a few concerns I want to address:

Has anyone done this before? Does it work well?
    How much can I put into a scene? I don't want people bumping into things (or is that part of the fun?)
    Actors... flashlights only to guide them out? Just for emergencies? Always?
    I'm thinking it would be 5 or 6 scenes right now; too little? Too long?
    Normally we have out patrons find their way out a room, think that's still okay or should the exit to a room be clear? (I think it would be awesome to try and find an exit with just a flashlight)

Any insight would be appreciated!!
    Bryce Ring
    Co-owner/ Designer
    Twisted Realms Haunted House

Light source

Try using something else as a light source you do not want your customers shining flash lights in your actors eyes. They sell those little torches with the silk flames but they brake like no other even though I think it would be a cool light source. I have heard of people using glow sticks. If you brainstorm you can come up with a better light source from your costumers.

Comment

I think that it is a pretty cool idea. If you were to use very dim lights 5 lumen or less, blinding actors would not be a problem and it would really slow traffic down, and make the experience very intimate. I don't know of any companies that offer a low power only light, but you could easily build them. There are several forums on the web that dabble in flashlight building. A host body can run anywhere from 5 to 30 bucks, and a drop in bulb and reflector can be had for under 10. You might even get away with painting the reflector black. Usually the flashlight guys are pushing the envelope of how bright you can make them, but this is entirely do-able.
      www.haroldshaunt.com

Comment

I don't suggestion it for a couple reasons... if you ever plan to grow your attendance this might become a problem. We could never do something like that because it would slow down the haunted house to a crawl and people in line would complain like crazy, we'd probably be there for hours on end trying to put all the people through. If your attendance isn't that high and you want to use this as a possible theme to grow some buzz... maybe but once your attendance starts getting up there I see this creating some problems.

Larry
        Larry Kirchner
        President
        www.HalloweenProductions.com
        www.BlacklightAttractions.com
        www.HauntedHouseSupplies.com
        www.HauntedHouseMagazine.com

Comment

I git excited!

I mis-read the title. I thought it said "Flash Lite", and guessed this would be wimmen flashing but they aren't well-endowd.
          hauntedravensgrin.com

Comment

Throughput and quality are inversely proportional. If throughput is not a problem, this just might be the thing to give your show that extra boost that will result in more attendance. If throughput is already a problem, then I would agree with Larry, you probably shouldn't do something that will make this problem worse. Until that time, take advantage of any means available to make the quality better. By the time it becomes a problem, the novelty of the flashlights will have probably worn off and it will be time to do something different anyway. I really admire haunters who take a different path and do things outside the realm of what is usually practiced in our industry. If it is a hit, you will be a hero, if not, it will soon be forgotten and you can work on your next big idea.
            Last edited by Mike Goff; 12-03-2012, 11:31 AM.
            www.haroldshaunt.com

Comment

Working...
            X