Fake Window Panes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fake Window Panes

I need to create about 500 square feet worth of windows with panes. Maybe with a grungy old factory look to them. The windows will be 3'-4' wide up to 8' tall. Plexiglass ain't cheap. The windows can be clear, but have a dirty look or even frosted. A person doesn't really need to see through them as long as they look like a window from the outside from a few feet away up to a couple hundred feet away.

Any ideas, tips, or techniques on what a person could do? I never messed with something like this...

So in addition to just a neat frame, you also need a glass substitute, correct?? Make a two frame pane. 1) frame no one will ever see, this is what you'll use to attach your clear fake glass, then add fake glass, then attach your aesthetically pleasing frame over your original frame.

I have one idea just off the top of my head, go to your local Restuarant depot , or google, large rolls of plastic wrap, (think Glad cling wrap on steroids). I don't know where by you, but there's a wholesale Restuarant place near us that sells rolls 3 feet in width. Create a basic wooden frame (2x2?) then wrap that frame in cling wrap a thousand times, and of course by a thousand I mean like 3 or 4 times, then put the real framing around it (maybe dirty aluminum strips for your industrial look?)

But Bobby! I don't want people to see the lines from the plastic wrap! Well Johnny, make your outer frame (the aluminum one I mentioned, or whatever you choose to do for aesthetics) and make a couple rows or columns over the actual glass part(aka your cling wrap on steroids) to help hide the seams/wrap lines of the Alex Rodriguez wrap. (Steroid joke)

To help with the clarity of the a-rod wrap (okay the steroid jokes are getting old, sorry!) use a latex paint to distress it, find a gross color of OOPS paint at your local mom and pop killing box store for $0.50 and water it down in a spray bottles, and spray the heck out of the wrap and just let it drip and dry on its own. (Maybe a hideous brown then a second layer of a little hideous green in the corners? Honestly, the real question is why anyone thought those colors would work in their home in the first place.....yuck!)

I hope I helped, or at least saved you from expensive plexi.

Comment

Yeah. I was thinking plastic wrap of some sort or a clear visqueen would be cheapest. Just didn't know how often somebody tried it and how it held up if exposed to the elements all year long.
      Last edited by Creepy Works; 12-03-2012, 11:26 AM.

Comment

Build your box frame, then I would use clear restaurant saran wrap (as Bobby suggested) over the frame stapled and lightly heat gunned to be taught. I would do about five layers of wrap for thickness. Then use colored caulk to do the pane dividers, I would use black silicone caulking. Once the caulking is dry I would airbrush each window with Tandy leather stain to give the translucent dirty/ grittyness it needs.
        Allen H
        www.Stiltbeaststudios.com
        http://www.youtube.com/user/Stiltbea...s?feature=mhee

Comment

I have also used shower curtains in the past, as well as pallet wrapping plastic.
          www.Stiltbeaststudios.com
          http://www.youtube.com/user/Stiltbea...s?feature=mhee

Comment

I LOVE the stain Allen recommended! I haven't used it on the wrap before, and wasn't sure if it would eat away at the plastic or not, but since Allen recommended it I would use it instead of watered down latex paint.

As for the elements, just wrap it more, you know your climate better than us! You know what will happen to your fake window panes, so just use your best judgement, if you're afraid it's tooflimsy, reinforce it before going any further or try a different concept. Don't be afraid to be creative

Also, thanks to NONE of you for laughing at my bad steroid jokes.

Jerks. :P

Comment

Since other people mentioned plastic wrap, my thought was to use heavier, rolled, clear vinyl used as table coverings. There are different thicknesses and it is even available at Mal-Mart. Buy it by the yard and no creases to get rid of.

Comment

Lots of good ideas. I really appreciate it.

Comment

depends on the size of your squares you could use plastic pop bots....I did this to create our indust. windows.... worked well and the stain held up don't remem the stain we used...

Comment

Or use.. the Power

OF.. suggestion. You think like there is glass there, They SEE you thinking there is glass there.. they begin to see it too!
                    If you have never done a thing before... get ready! IT WILL BE HERE!!(Eventionaly)
                    hauntedravensgrin.com

Comment

home depot or lowes

maybe try clear sheathing (rolls of Plastic)... just a thought... much stronger, you can get in 20' x 100' rolls and up to 6ml thick...

Comment

Working...
                      X