Could use a mental push here..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Could use a mental push here..

So- getting ready for next year of course, and was watching this surprisingly great movie when I saw something I liked.

Now I need to make some- but short of sculpt/mold/cast and the cost associated- I'm not really coming up with a simple way to make these egg pods (not the creatures inside).

Egg pod 1.jpg

I'm reminded of a plastic wrap or packing tape wrap, but I think the translucence will be very low. I need moderately high.

The scale would be somewhere between 18" and 30" high.

Any suggestions? Anyone ever try to use fiberglass resin for something like this?
    How can a man die better than facing fearful odds, for the ashes of his fathers and the temple of his gods.

What you put into your mind- you put into your life.

www.zombietoxin.com

I would recommend doing it with vacuum form build a mold and have a sign comany vacuum form them in 4 parts each.

Phatman
    Phatman

Comment

If your looking for 3ft alien eggs, I have a mold.

Stew

Comment

may not be

this may not be the answer you are looking for or even something that you want to do but to me they look like over inflated grenade shaped water balloons they become transparent when inflated and have those ridges

Comment

Just saw this thread on another forum the other day:

http://www.hauntforum.com/showthread.php?t=34413

Perhaps you could pull something off similar. You'd just have to come up with something to melt it around.
          Zach Wiechmann
          www.frontyardfright.com

Comment

Clear packing tape is the way to go, it is amazingly transparent. Get the kind that you can clearly see the cardboard through, that tells you that even in layers it is still transparent.
            Almost all fiberglass resin has a yellowish or purpleish tint to it.
            Let me try an experiment for you, give me a day or two and I will post a pic OK....
            www.Stiltbeaststudios.com
            http://www.youtube.com/user/Stiltbea...s?feature=mhee

Comment

check this out!
              http://www.wayfair.com/Paderno-World...6-WCS4720.html
              Last edited by Allen H; 12-28-2012, 08:49 PM.

Comment

5 gallon water cooler bottles, heat in a hot box that you make, then inflate them with a shop vac or leaf blower......?

Comment

Allen always has the answers.
                  http://limbohaunt.com
                  Twitter: @LimboHaunt

Comment

What I'm imagining is Allens 5 gallon water bottles, the heating up in a box or old oven and then laying pieces onto a wooden grid that has the round shape and leaves the impressions of all the little squares. I'm not sure heating a plastic bottle would ever get the bottom outside ring to ever reanimate. Everything else would blow out and it would remain mostly the same shape. So no vacu form, just heat and pushing it into a form with a piece of wood or welding gloves. The end color is done with transparent paint for faux stain glass or tinted clear coat products. If you have a wooden form, like a half round cage arrangement it might just be a heat gun and gloves on sections of water bottle like Allen does in so many things. Hold your breath doing this, the world record is over 17 minutes.

Resin is not good for large pieces, it is very fragile without the mat woven into it and shatters worse than cheap glass. It looks to me like the origional might be resin and tissue paper but this wouldn't last long touching or moving things. It could be 2 part polyester like you cover a bar top with, still any liguid is going to have to be applied over saran wrap on a form or poured into a mold. The polyester resins are more elastic but both those options are kind of expensive. Every $30 of stuff only covers maybe half of one of those at some decent thickness, like two coats to be able to support itself.
                    sigpic

Another fabulous post from the U.S.Department of Wild Imaginings, now in spectaclar stereo, sponsored by the Adhesives and Sealants Council, suggesting ways to stick things together since the 1800s. Not fabulous in a gay way. Your results may vary. Illinois residents add 8% sales tax. These posts have been made by professional post makers, do not try this type of posting on your own without extensive training, lovely assistants and a trusty clown horn.

Comment

Holy carp and thanks for all the excellent ideas!

Well what it really comes down to for me is deciding if I want durable, reusable and maybe even salable props, some time down the road when I'm done with them. or cheap and quick, pitch them and move on when I'm dome.

I have to tell you- my mind is always in the 'done right' state, but I'm coming to grips with the fact that haunts require frequent freshening of props and sets- very frequent and relatively costly.

Unless you're a lottery winner these factors are always on your mind.

You have an egg mold? Awesome! What materials do you cast in it? Transparent?

Heat pressing... awesome.

Tape looks like the most cost effective, but I'm worried about the lines from the tape edges that will form- I'm probably going to try this anyway just to see. That would be one BIG ASS chocolate egg!

Thanks for the fiberglass info too.

Vacuum forming- or a close proximity thereof (heat pressing plastic) looks VERY interesting and the google machine produced this- PETG plastic sheet at a .02 thickness, or there abouts, is what is used to form RC car bodies and blister packs.

I found 48x96 sheets for around $40 online... I'll probably try heat pressing onto a sculpt of some kind first and see how that works... Gotta love ghetto-fab!

There are several cool pieces of equipment floating around my head in consideration for purchase or build- a vac table is one of them...

Sigh... never enough time or money for the lazy man...

Thanks again!
                      How can a man die better than facing fearful odds, for the ashes of his fathers and the temple of his gods.

What you put into your mind- you put into your life.

www.zombietoxin.com

Comment

The details in the picture tell me that only the hero unit is actually transparent and the rest are all transluscent and so the clearer stuff is perhaps vacuformed and all the rest are ghetto construction. So cost wise it changes across the display to get the right effect without the whole thing being the best materials and sparing no expense.

I have seen Allens plastic wrap and tape bodies and with just some imagination of applying some kind of decorative goo would detract from that. No one is going to judge that it is spot on movie reproduction, only having something jiggling in an egg will be the whole jist of the scene. Some moving toy with a little monster skin and the use of lights or lack of lights that the eggs are everywhere and this one or three something is happening.
                        sigpic

Another fabulous post from the U.S.Department of Wild Imaginings, now in spectaclar stereo, sponsored by the Adhesives and Sealants Council, suggesting ways to stick things together since the 1800s. Not fabulous in a gay way. Your results may vary. Illinois residents add 8% sales tax. These posts have been made by professional post makers, do not try this type of posting on your own without extensive training, lovely assistants and a trusty clown horn.

Comment

I did a quick test on an 18 inch egg I had. I put a baby doll inside. The glare in a few of the pics is bad, but the transparency is great. This is four layers of tape, it holds is shape well and the babies weight does not miss shape it at all. I hope this helps you to see this options results better,
                          Allen H
                          654BBB68-EBF5-47AF-97CA-E48213213B2F-3286-0000043303E66263.jpg
                          5C4B0C5C-8E7E-4EF0-878C-55B809631019-3286-00000432EF2785A6.jpg
                          this pic is blurry, the transparency is awesome.
                          70414265-9CC5-4F4D-A726-4DAA31CEEFFE-3286-00000432FBE0C186.jpg

Comment

Looks great Allen, if the glare is not the desired effect a light spray of a clear mat spray paint will take care of that. You can even get it with different color sparkles in it to give it a crystal look or wood tone spray to give it a more organic look with some airbrush veins. You could cut some open and use clear silicone to make a yoke oozing out of some cracks. Did it take very long to make Allen? I know I watched you do a whole body in about an hour at MWHC. You should get your own topic on HW Forum called ASK ALLEN you seem to always have good solution to people's questions.

Phatman
                            Phatman

Comment

Non-translucent approach

Allen amazes me most of the time. I made a variety of egg pods different sizes (mostly smaller but some the size Allen shows). They are not translucent, but they are durable as hell. I used styrofoam balls from the craft store, wrapped it in paper mâché (they sell the strips already to go, just wet and wrap). I then sprayed the whole thing with web maker to give it the web look. Took some time with the web gun but the final product looks great. I use them in my spider room, but I like the translucent effect - might be something we try for Camp Nightmare this year.
                              Travis "Big T" Russell
                              President
                              Big T Productions Inc

Owner and Operator of "The Plague" and "Camp Nightmare"

Customer Quote of the year: "Damn, I pissed myself"

Comment

Working...
                              X