HauntWorld Home - Forums Home - Live Chat - Find Haunted Houses - Hauntworld Magazine - Haunted House Supplies - America's Best Haunts - Find Vendors
Haunted House News - Haunted Tradeshows - Join Hauntworld Facebook - Hauntworld Twitter - Advertise - Contact Us

Thread: Gift Shop I need a bit of help in deciding what to sell.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Default New Promotional Item Concept for your Haunt 
    Hi Sue,

Consider a custom comic book based on your haunt's theme, story/legend, and characters. It's a great memento of a super season. Staff will get a huge rush seeing their character rendered into print. Customers who love your show will dig being able to relive the experience by flipping through the book. You can also turn the cover, certain page artwork (or comic frames) into t-shirt art, posters, or any other type of promotional material you wish.

1031 Comics presently has a Kickstarter campaign going. We have a special $200 pledge level that will give a haunted attraction owner a custom drawn full color cover for their show. The Pledge Partner will get the original artwork PLUS the art will be digitized into a comic cover, complete with titling and tag lines...and you'll get a quality print copy of the finished cover.

To check out the artwork quality and samples for our current project, go to: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...comic-series-1

Eric @ Haunted Overload has pledged and loves the concept. You might contact him to get direct feedback.

Thanks!
    Mistress G
    Gail Strumberger
    Art Dogs Inc/Cyber Shock University

2. Default  
    I saw an earlier, off-the-cuff estimate of 5% of customers even noticing that there was merchandise for sale in conjunction with the haunt.

Do any of you have hard data regarding the percentage of your patrons that purchase additional merchandise? (ticket sales vs. gift shop transactions).

How about scare photos, like a lot of amusement parks do? You photograph each patron/group of patrons at a reliably shocking scare and post photos near the exit for sale to the patrons in the photograph. Have any of you implemented this and what type of patron participation do you experience?

I plan to sell logo T-shirts, mugs, hats, and do the scare-photo thing and am looking for some SWAG numbers with which to populate my business plan.

I'm sure the logo merchandise sells better at established, big-name haunts (hey, Larry).

Thanks, all.
    Fright In Falcon Haunted Maze
    http://frightinfalcon.com

3. Default  
    Let me help you...

1) CHEAP t-shirts that is the #1 seller from probably 99% of every haunt in this industry.

Everything else is RISKY!

Larry

4. Default  
    We feel slightly burned on our gift shop we went beyond buying the typical black and white t-shirts and loaded up on other items like key chains, stickers, cups, etc and well we didn't sell anything. Our number one buyer for everything we did sell was our own actors. lol

We'll give it another try this year and see what happens. If I was to rank our merchandise the biggest seller was black and white t-shirts, hoodies, jackets (mostly because the actors bought them) and from there it was maybe a few cups. Here is what I can tell you and that is our goal for next year is to have an online store in addition to the gift shop on site. We are also going to sell other items like drinks and candy. I think we took a bit of a hit the first year but we are going to take what we learned and carry it over to 2016 and make it better.

5. Default  
    We have done a gift shop and food and neither do incredible. We gave up the food and allowed a food truck to visit but the issue with them is they hardly ever show up. Tough to decide what to do there. As for the gift shop very few people buy anything some buy t-shirts or hoodies and most sales are to our actors. Not a big focus for us.

6. Default  
    Let me tell you this... we have a wonderful looking retail shop and every guest has to walk right by it and we lost money on it. This I know and we had several different types of merch and it didn't matter. People just don't care.

Our #1 customer was our actors buying t-shirts and stuff. I have heard of SOME people tell me they did okay with it and I know Netherworld does great and so does Headless Horseman but outside those who else is doing well with it?

I don't think its a real effective source of income for haunted houses, but rather adding another attraction, something you can upcharge be it a 3D haunt, escape room, or adding other events on like zombie laser tag whatever.

I am NOT saying don't do merchandise I'm merely saying there are better ways to increase revenue at your haunted house.

Larry

7. Default  
    Seems to be the consensus; not a reliable money maker.

I did buy one of your coffee mugs in 2013, though, Larry.
    Fright In Falcon Haunted Maze
    http://frightinfalcon.com

8. Default  
    I find we sell to about 15% of people - t-shirts are our best seller, with hoodies being a close second. We end up giving stickers away at the end of the season.
    Good deals with : brad, smiley, capt. chaos, fables studios

www.fearthegallows.com

9. Default  
    Just a quick post here... we have totally redone our Darkness gift shop and I think everyone will really like it. We have added all kinds of stuff including a 3D photo set up ... if you come to The Darkness haunt tour you can get a FREE 3D Photo! Tickets will go on sale for our tour later tonight. www.TheDarkness.com

IMG_3767.JPGIMG_3768.JPG

10. Default  
    Did you ever decide what to sell? I'd like to hear the final choices.

Thread Information