Volunteer Actor Incentive Programs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Volunteer Actor Incentive Programs

For those of you that have an Incentive Program for your volunteers, would you please post some of your levels?

The haunt I volunteered for has a their 1st incentive, a logo wrist band, after night 4. Then items at 7, 10, 13, and so on.

2 free tickets not until after 15 or 16 nights, I can't remember exactly.

I'm thinking that the logo wrist band should be after night ONE.

I saw many voluteers that only came one night then never again. I think it would be a great tool, allowing those that have
    the bands, to BRAG about the haunt to their friends with proof, giving them more reason to come back and volunteer again!

We are having a brainstorm meeting soon about the haunt and our suggestions. Any info is appreciated.

Thank you.
    Last edited by HEARTSTOPPERS; 01-06-2013, 01:01 PM.

I like the wristband idea. I am gonna see if we can expand off of it for our actors.
    We will have incentives for Best Scares, Best Actors, etc. Judged by feedback and what other actors and or managers see. Not sure what will be their prize yet.

Comment

Our prize for Room of the Night was a free soda.

Actor of the Week prize was a free Rockstar Energy Drink and a Candy Bar.

Most of the Actors of the Week also had their photos, in costume, put up on the back wall.

There was also an award for Actor/Actress of the Year.

Everything was also shared on haunt actors' Facebook page too.

Comment

Wow my actors are treated likes Kings and Queens then. I know that a lot of people have a level program. I have started this as well. But every night no matter if it's your first or last my actors are taken water and candy/cough drops/ect, and provided food (meals) for afterward.

I have a wonderful return and don't have turn over. I truly have a "haunt family". They stick together, we have a FB group so they can give ideas, communicate, etc. So long as they feel appreciated, they will stick with you. Some help more than others and there is always something for them. Typically during the off season, we provide food and drinks when working. During parties I always include their families.

This year we did shirts (first year) which is what they wanted instead of going to another attraction. I took my main crew to 2 different attractions free of cost to them. My core group is treated differently because they give more time and hours. That was determined by the shirt type. A few have been treated to a trip to Transworld. But that is only for those that build, sound, etc.

I also do some nights where at the exit pole, we do a 50.00 for the most mentioned actor and then I did a room where they spit 100.00. Just a few ideas I know other do the same.

Comment

Originally posted by spookhaven View Post
          Wow my actors are treated likes Kings and Queens then. I know that a lot of people have a level program. I have started this as well. But every night no matter if it's your first or last my actors are taken water and candy/cough drops/ect, and provided food (meals) for afterward.

I have a wonderful return and don't have turn over. I truly have a "haunt family". They stick together, we have a FB group so they can give ideas, communicate, etc. So long as they feel appreciated, they will stick with you. Some help more than others and there is always something for them. Typically during the off season, we provide food and drinks when working. During parties I always include their families.

This year we did shirts (first year) which is what they wanted instead of going to another attraction. I took my main crew to 2 different attractions free of cost to them. My core group is treated differently because they give more time and hours. That was determined by the shirt type. A few have been treated to a trip to Transworld. But that is only for those that build, sound, etc.

I also do some nights where at the exit pole, we do a 50.00 for the most mentioned actor and then I did a room where they spit 100.00. Just a few ideas I know other do the same.
          This EXACTLY right. A haunt family. That term gets thrown around at Hall of Horrors constantly and the volunteers get water/cough drops/ibuprofen, etc. as needed. Midway through the night they're given a break which consists of either pizza, burgers, hotdogs, etc. At the end of the season they're treated to a banquet where they'll get a nice sit down meal and we recount the best moments from the season and give awards to everyone! HoH too has a FB group for everyone to keep in touch throughout the year.

My NEW haunt does the food and water, a post-season party as well as a FB group but they also treated everyone to Netherworld this year.

So long as everyone is treated fairly and made to feel appreciated then no problems whatsoever.
          Last edited by freak 'n' stein; 01-06-2013, 04:07 PM.
          O'Shawn McClendon
          Creative Chair -- Operator: Cayce-West Columbia Hall of Horrors

One mans junk is another mans kick-ass new prop...

http://www.hallofhorrors.com

http://twitter.com/hallofhorrors

http://cwchallofhorrors.blogspot.com

http://www.youtube.com/hallofhorrors

http://www.myspace.com/cwcjc_hallofhorrors

Comment

We do have people that come through offering candy/cough drops and offer to refill our water bottles.

We had to earn any free passes. I thought some "Parent Passes" would have been nice for the parents to see their children in action.

No nightly monetary awards, except for end of season, where major/key persons were given bonuses.

I was not volunteering with any monetary expectations, but to gain more haunt attraction experience.

I want to become more active in attractions and was hoping I could get some help from those of you more
            experienced in operations. I was thinking the wrist band after night one would give bragging rights to those younger
            volunteers and give them more of a reason to return. If nothing else, it could be given as a "thank you" for the labor.
            Not to mention the word of mouth advertising it could generate earlier in the season.

It is my understanding that an average volunteer dropout rate is around 20-30% by end-of-season.

Is anyone else willing to share their prize/award levels or more of what your attraction does to build, and keep, stronger teams?

Thank you in advance!

Comment

I few guys from the Canfield Scaregrounds visited us this past season. They have key personnel roaming the haunt with tickets. If they see something they like from an actor, they give them a ticket. All the ticket winners, sometimes the same person, are entered into a drawing at the end of the season and the winner gets a cash award. Very good idea and I'll be using it.

We have a few staff members that are incharge of certain sections. They maintain security, monitor guests and keep things running smoothly. They also provide their sections with gatorade (body absorbs it), granola bars, cough drops and ibuprofen. At the end of the night the entire staff is provided a large meal (either purchased by the house or provided by someones grandma). They also get a lunchmeat sammich at the beginning of the night and a 50% discount on all concession items. We have a banquet at the end of the year with staff getting certificates signed by the important local government officials and an opportunity to win a ton of door prizes along with a buffet of free food. They also get free admission to a local independant wrestling show that runs in the area as part of a sponsorship agreement. And, they all love getting the free haunt staff t-shirts. Of course, all staff are volunteer so it may be different from many other haunts in terms of available funds. I'll be grabbing a few ideas from here as well to add on my end for sure.
              Like a midget at a urinal, you gotta be on your toes

http://www.wellstownshiphauntedhouse.com

Comment

Incentives.....

Well at my haunt we would take all our actors on field trips to all the haunts in the area. We would start in Sept for which ever ones were already open and then go every thursday , which i think for them is was great to see, they would all get VIP in to some of the top haunts in the country, The House of Shock, 13th Gate, The Rise and TerrorTest. All would open there doors to us no problem and we would return the favor if they where able to come. In a way it was like bringing my actors to school which made for a loyal cast and better actors too. plus they would get a free meal and drinks on the nights we were open .....oh and we would give the cast our yearly haunt shirt that they wore like a badge of honor. We only had one cast member really screw us on doing this by not showing up for tear down and missing alot of days during the season, but the rest were allways there ready to go and we had a crue of 45 to 50 people most nights even on Halloween, and around here in New Orleans to have everyone show on Halloween weekend with all what goes on in this town at that time was awesome.
                All I have to say is make your haunt seem like its an Exclusive Club or Gang and your volunteers will always be there

Comment

3 days - 2 free tickets
                  5 days- Haunt logo T shirt
                  6 days- Admission to end of season VIP party
                  10 days- $100 cash drawing
                  11 days - haunt logo Hoodie

out of 12 days total

Every single night we provide snacks/ candy/ water before we open. Feed them a real meal at the end of the night, and do a $10 drawing.

This year we only had about 15-18 volunteers total (we are on the smaller side).

This year the end of season party was very generous, we rented a bus and took them to another haunted house, The Forsaken in Mentor. And out to dinner...very generous.

Comment

I just posted to our FB group and getting them more involved in the early season makes them feel more a part of the decision making. I did a survey and got a response from 3/4 of them wanting more meeting in the early months. So this might be something to think about also. I have a "main crew" which consists of building, thoughts, prop making, etc. It is smaller group but valued opinions. Then I have a work crew which consists of many. Then you have the actors only. I take it into consideration and purchased different shirts. Some T-shirts other custom polos and other things like paid trip to conventions or other attractions.

Comment

Custom Comics as Staff Incentives...or for Sale?

Hello Heartstoppers,

Consider a custom comic book based on your haunt's theme, story/legend, and characters. It's a great memento of a super season. Staff will get a huge rush seeing their character rendered into print. Customers who love your show will dig being able to relive the experience by flipping through the book. You can also turn the cover, certain page artwork (or comic frames) into t-shirt art, posters, or any other type of promotional material you wish.

1031 Comics presently has a Kickstarter campaign going. We have a special $200 pledge level that will give a haunted attraction owner a custom drawn full color cover for their show. The Pledge Partner will get the original artwork PLUS the art will be digitized into a comic cover, complete with titling and tag lines...and you'll get a quality print copy of the finished cover.

Check it out!! http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...comic-series-1

Regards, Mistress G (PS...Haunted Overload has already pledged. Eric thinks it's a great idea--do check it out for yourself)
                      Gail Strumberger
                      Art Dogs Inc/Cyber Shock University

Comment

Ravens Grin Bands..

"Neck Bands" 1/4 inch steel, titanium clasp, chain hooks left AND right sides.
                        If there might be a road trip for everyone, everyone Will Be Going Along, chained together in the trailer pulled behind the Jeep.
                        T
                        They will get water on the trip , if it happens to rain that day. ("Wash away those SINS!")
                        Have to toughen these "Sissy-Girls" up somehow!
                        hauntedravensgrin.com

Comment

Thank you

Gail, The comic book cover sounds very interesting! Unfortunately the only properly "themed" section is to be redone this year.

Definately a great idea for a new logo.

I'd like to thank everyone for taking the time to offer info and suggestions! Any more?
                          Last edited by HEARTSTOPPERS; 01-19-2013, 01:40 PM.

Comment

Comic book is interesting. I have to give that some thought. Another thing we did a year ago was made character cards. That was a big hit. Each card that came back gave them a point and the one with the most back got a 100.00. Then you could also track the amount of ppl that came in from that actor.

Comment

Working...
                            X