Theming ideas.. island?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Theming ideas.. island?

I was wondering how to theme and indoor outdoor island themed outdoor haunt and 2 haunted houses

Pacific island cannibals (look at the last king kong movie, great looking islanders and sets in that one) King kong took place of Skull Island.
    A Volcano themed haunt could be fun (great opportunity for sets and costumes)

Alkatraz is an Island
    Island of the dolls
    Zombie Island
    Island of the Gods
    Island of the giant Rats
    If any of those titles germinate ideas for you then it has merit.
    www.Stiltbeaststudios.com
    http://www.youtube.com/user/Stiltbea...s?feature=mhee

Comment

I know I like the island of the dolls. I went to a haunt that had a striper pole and thought what kind of haunt has this. After i got done snubbing my nose at it my associate pointed out that the demographics of haunted houses includes a large number of of boys 13 to 18 in age. So I may not condone the use of this technique, but it would at least fit the theme. And it would draw those people that are not yet of age. Zombie dolls with their scantily dressed male slaves.

Phatman

Of coarse I would never do such a thing. Any body know a good supplier for stripper poles?
      Phatman

Comment

Unit 70 has some GREAT guys that would fit into this, and I think someone's selling some used ones of the guys I'm talking about right now in the trading post....I could be wrong or they could be sold, so don't quote me on that haha.

Anyway, STONEWORK!! Very few people do really cool stonework (out of foam/or stone, depending on how crazy you want to get), but carved stones, like creepy easter island giant heads, tall tiki statues, and try to incorporate a lot of nature, i.e sand and water, in places where it wouldn't get all over. Create a nice large waterfall if you can, the more you can incorporate water (safely) the more island-y it would feel, same with sand.

This isn't a theme/haunt, where you can just throw together some 4x8 walls and call it whatever theme you want, in order to get that island feel, you really need to MAKE an island. For the indoor section create a facade for a tiki hut, and then create a few different rooms of what would be in a cannibal/infected/cursed tiki hut.

Another outdoor idea would be to create some sort of elevated walkway, and make volcanic craters and run pvc pipes from crater to crater and have them blast out fog at your patrons, that'd be really neat to see!

When you start building this, please post some progress pics, I (along with many others I'm sure) would LOVE to see this theme progress!

Comment

But Bobby what about the girls, you for got the girls, girls. Can you tell what my focus is right now. We have been below zero for the last 3 days so we need some entertainment here in Michigan right now. So let find some hula skirts and cocoanut bras and crank up the heat and do a off season haunt. Whoops wife just walked in maybe this was not a great idea. But seriously I do like the Easter island idea and I also have seen someone with the large statues but can't remember right now. If I think of it I will post it.

Phatman
          Phatman

Comment

Bahaha! So you're also gonna need some hot zombie chicks in bikinis, duh, what is wrong with me?!

College! Yeah! No wife! No problems! ;D

Comment

Bobby how do you look in a bikini? I know that over in Europe they would ask me to put clothes on if I put on a speedo. I could play the par of one of those big stone statues. It's the only costume that would fit. Island getaway just sounds good right now, it a warm 17 degrees out side and just got 3-4 inches of snow. I have always liked the island type theme for a haunt, like the first Jarasic Park movie, we have an island here in Detroit called Belle Island that has a old closed zoo that I have tried to get permission to use several time without success that would be perfect for this type of haunt. I'm dreaming you can't do anything in Detroit they make it seem like you are trying to take advantage of them.

Phatman
              Phatman

Comment

I wouldn't know! But most likely NOT GOOD.

And hahahahaha I'll build ya an easter island statue costume for this October! People will shit their pants when a statue starts chasing them around! :P

OOOOOHH!!! Back on track! Another cool idea for this theme.....a GIANT ROLLING BOULDER ANIMATRONIC!
                You can probably build it fairly cheaply and even have a person run it for you to cut down on initial costs, construct a lightweight fake boulder, and a track system for it to roll down and stop on, then as people wall back, trigger it to roll right at them! I've seen it before and it's a real cool effect!

Comment

Originally posted by Allen H View Post
                  Alkatraz is an Island
                  Island of the dolls
                  Zombie Island
                  Island of the Gods
                  Island of the giant Rats
                  Island of Misfit Toys?

Originally posted by Allen H View Post
                  A Volcano themed haunt could be fun (great opportunity for sets and costumes)
                  JB had a Lava Floor in Castle Dragon. A Volcano motif could take that concept to a whole new level.

Also, remember the Clay People from the old Flash Gordon serials with Buster Crabbe? That could make for an interesting camo scare.

C.

Comment

Thanks for the advice I think I have a good direction we are going with.

Comment

Originally posted by HauntedDeadEnd View Post
                      Thanks for the advice I think I have a good direction we are going with.
                      Excellent! . . . which is . . .

C.

Comment

Witch doctors, cannibals, living tiki statues... But don't forget all the lovely nature in the jungle: snakes, spiders, giant centipedes, maybe a killer plant or two?
                        Haunt: DARK REALMS

Day job: Game Composer/Sound Designer

My "geek rock" band: Legendary nOObs

Comment

Working...
                        X