Who from United States going to Canadian Haunted Attraction Connferance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who from United States going to Canadian Haunted Attraction Connferance

I live in Detroit and am thinking of going over for the Show just wondering if any body else has thought of going. It's seems to be a little smaller and more personal type of show and is only 2 1/2 hr from Detroit.

Phatman
    Phatman

I went and spoke last year and yes, it is a small show, but they certainly are enthusiastic about what they do. I had a good time and would certainly attend again. I know they want more folks from the US to attend as they are always looking for good teachers and vendors. I was treated very well and had my brain picked several times.

Their site www.canadahaunts.ca says Leonard Pickel and Nick Wolfe are among those speaking and/or teaching this year.
    http://www.bigscaryshow.com
    http://www.rabidbadger.org

Comment

Im working on my passport now and Plan on attending.
      www.Stiltbeaststudios.com
      http://www.youtube.com/user/Stiltbea...s?feature=mhee

Comment

Originally posted by Allen H View Post
        Im working on my passport now and Plan on attending.
        Considering your vast talent- it shouldn't take you long to whip one up...

lol
        How can a man die better than facing fearful odds, for the ashes of his fathers and the temple of his gods.

What you put into your mind- you put into your life.

www.zombietoxin.com

Comment

i have never been but am planning on going this year!!

Comment

FYI... we have done many projects in Canada and its VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY hard these days to get into Canada. It makes NO sense but they are so freakin strict its not even funny. They can and will turn you down for almost anything these days... a DWI will keep you out of Canada. I know a lot of people have a DWI ... not me I don't drink but even that will keep you out of Canada. You must also have a passport its just nuts... you'd think we'd just be able to cross back and forth no problem.

If you do a project over there everyone needs permits from the Government or they'll arrest you... you'd think they are at war with us.

Don't lie at their border about anything they will detain you ... we've had guys try to go over there and got detained for an entire day.
            Larry
            Larry Kirchner
            President
            www.HalloweenProductions.com
            www.BlacklightAttractions.com
            www.HauntedHouseSupplies.com
            www.HauntedHouseMagazine.com

Comment

Larry that is not true I have my employee over there all the time. Just make sure you have your passport. We here in Detroit go there a lot and as long as you are not doing work over there, the love you to come spend money there. It harder getting back, not going. If you are going there for work you have to get a work permit and background check. We have never waited at the boarder more than 45 seconds going over, and that's in about 1000 trips. You must have been working and driving with stuff Larry and then they will check your info a lot closer. I have worked and played in Canada for years and the only time I had a problem was when I was 19 and went to drink over there legally and my smart ass friend made a bad joke about smuggling pot to the border guard on way back and that was an hr delay. We go there for lunch all the time, so it is not much worse than toll booths in Chicago during rush hour. Go and enjoy.

Phatman
              Phatman

Comment

I was under the impression it was a little easier for us in Michigan to get into Canada then people from other states. This is what I have been told anyways, so perhaps what Larry is saying is true. Our experiences may just be easier based on where we live. I could have sworn that relationship was set up to allow people easier work/recreation acess. I am pretty sure we just need a enhanced driver's license vs showing a passport if you live in Michigan and a few other states as well.

http://www.michigan.gov/sos/0,1607,7...3045--,00.html
                Jared Layman

Comment

Just wanted to add that two of my employees that go there have had DWI tickets and they have never said a word. Like I said working there and playing there are two different things. They don't want us to work there, but they do want us to play.

Phatman
                  Phatman

Comment

Trust me it is true... I know this for a FACT MY FRIEND! I do projects for people in Canada and they even tell me tourism from the USA is way way way way way down because of how hard they crack down on people there now. I've been going to Canada for over 10 years and it use to be so easy boom just fly right in now its not like that. Before you could get in with a driver license now you can't. Trust me I talk to those tourist attraction guys all the time and they cry about how much business they have lost because of the crack downs.

You guys must be going to some easy crossing who knows but whatever you are experiencing is not happening everywhere.

Larry
                    Larry Kirchner
                    President

Comment

Jarred I cross back and forth in Nigeria at least 2 or 3 times a year too and its the same. So I don't know why it would be differant any where else. I think a lot of Larry's frustration comes from that they don't make it easy for you to work there. I have permits for this and you would think it would get easier but it's not when going over to work. They just protect thier jobs there any way they can. The first time I did work there we drove over and did our work with no permits. Then I found out what could happen if caught and now I have a couple of guys with permits. As far as just visiting its easy with a passport, I let my son drive there all the time and he is only 18, he is the DD for his buddies because he doesn't drink and the drinking age is 19 there. So I understand Larry has had problems and I'm sure they did give Larry a hard time getting in but I find the guards on the way back ask more question. I have even passed through the Buffalo, Ny boarder with no problems when I do work for the Bills, becuase it shorter distance to go through Canada from Detroit.

Phatman
                      Phatman

Comment

Me personally I've never had a hard time getting in... but I know several people who have. It was so bad a few times we had to have guys from Canada come get people and help bring them over. This is all I can tell you okay...

I know for a FACT its hard because the guys who own tourist attractions over there tell me their USA business is WAY DOWN because of the border situation.

I'm not making this up! I'm telling you what business owners have told me even say 2 weeks ago I was told this. Personally I wouldn't even try to go to Canada if you don't have a passport... but overall you should expect some issues if you go with or without one. They are tough now.

Larry
                        Larry Kirchner
                        President

Comment

Larry it easy with a passport we do press checks 2 times a month there and we go to lunch there about once a week. Maybe they think Missouri is a country in the Middle East? Tourism is down just because who carries thier passport on them all the time and the dollor is almost even to the Canadian dollar. Here a lot of people have gotten what is called a enhanced drivers license and that acts as a passport to Canada too. I have not gotten one because I am too lazy to go stand in line. I'm sorry they have made it hard on you Larry we have always had no problems at the Detroit crossing.

Here is a link to tips to make your crossing easier and fast.

http://gocanada.about.com/od/faqscro...order_tips.htm

Phatman
                          Phatman

Comment

I drove to CHAC last year from Buffalo and crossed over the Rainbow Bridge in Niagara Falls both times. I was at the border about 1 minute. They wanted to know where I was going, for how long, and if I was planning to make any large purchases. Once I answered them, they told me to have a nice trip. Coming back was about the same but they asked if I had bought anything. After I told him some souvenir shorts for the kids, they waved me along.

I had heard that one vendor from the States (name escapes me at the moment) had an issue and was not able to cross, but all the others American companies that vended at CHAC in 2012 had no issues.

Comment

Just an FYI: the Big Scary Show will have Matthew Flagler as a guest on the next show (out this weekend) and we discuss in detail the ins and outs about CHAC, crossing the border, and many other things Canadian. If you have an interest in attending the show, I hope we answered your questions...

Comment

Working...
                              X