Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ceilings for an Indoor Haunt

Greetings.
    I'm in the works of improving my ceilings. I have an indoor haunt in a mall, and currently my ceilings are those white 2ftx2ft tiles that look like an office. While I can't build a ceiling on top of my walls because that would block the sprinkler system, I can put a thin layering on the current white tiles. That said, I'm considering something like this: http://www.betterthantin.com/ceiling...productID.1461 (and painting them myself), but they are not as haunted as I would like them to be. Does anyone know of vendors of ceiling facades or ceiling tiles that can be used for a haunt? (aka creepy ceiling facades or creepy ceiling tiles).

-N

Also, I may just decide to make my own tiles out of tin. Does anyone know where i can get a huge roll of tin or other cheap flexible metal?

Comment

You could just get a good painter to paint the ceiling to look like anything you want, cracked plaster, old broken lath wood. thats what i would do.

Robert

Comment

Our white ceiling tiles were painted black. They just taped off the sprinklers and sprayed it with an airless. Ceiling=Gone

-Joel-
        Heartstoppers
        Haunted House

Sacramento, CA

www.scaredyou.com

www.fb.com/heartstoppers
        www.twitter.com/heartstoppershh

Comment

I'm witl Joel if they will let you paint it. But we had the same problem a long Time ago and we took the tiles out and used electrical tape on the grid to block it out. In some areas we even put painted luan zip tied to the ceiling grid for a ceiling and it worked great we just cut circles for the sprinklers. Hope this helps.

Phatman
          Phatman

Comment

A few years ago I went to a haunt that had 2x4's spaced every 2 feet across the ceiling and they had screen stapled to it with a light shining sideways on it. the light made it look solid and the water would go right through it.The 2x4's give it a solid look when looking down a long hall.
            We use this method in our haunt to give it the feeling of having ceilings. Its very effective and the fire marshall approves it.
            Just something you might want to look into and you can get the screen in large rolls. Its easy to staple to the 2x4's.
            I like it better than the camo netting because it gives a cleaner smoother look.

Greg
            Fearfest
            Greg Allen
            scarygreg@andersonfarms.com
            www.andersonfarms.com

Comment

These guys carry ceiling type vacuform patterns. They are a little thinner than what we see at the show but they are reasonable.

http://storefront.vacuformstore.com/...=index&cPath=8

Give them a try. Shipping reasonable too.

Wayne

Comment

look at the dakrness post photos on this forum. larry just put in ceilings with sprinklers.

stew

Comment

DSC02788.JPGDSC02558.JPG
                  look at the dakrness post photos on this forum. larry just put in ceilings with sprinklers.

stew

Comment

I am very interested in this idea, do you have any pictures that show how this effect worked? Do you mean a metal mesh screen like for a screen door or something else?

Originally posted by N2SPOOKINU View Post
                    A few years ago I went to a haunt that had 2x4's spaced every 2 feet across the ceiling and they had screen stapled to it with a light shining sideways on it. the light made it look solid and the water would go right through it.The 2x4's give it a solid look when looking down a long hall.
                    We use this method in our haunt to give it the feeling of having ceilings. Its very effective and the fire marshall approves it.
                    Just something you might want to look into and you can get the screen in large rolls. Its easy to staple to the 2x4's.
                    I like it better than the camo netting because it gives a cleaner smoother look.

Greg
                    Fearfest

Comment

This is the only pic I could find at the moment. You will notice are haunts are under commercial canopies (tents). This pic was taken during the day with sunlight at its brightest. When its dark outside you dont notice the ceiling is false. We use fiberglass screen. When we did a test burn on it it just turned to dust.
                      We still treat it just for safety though.
                      The crown moulding makes it easy to hide the edges and it works great.
                      I hope this helps.

Gregslash and prom 010.JPG
                      Greg Allen
                      www.andersonfarms.com

Comment

Heres another pic but at night.pics from phone 093.jpg
                        Greg
                        Greg Allen
                        www.andersonfarms.com

Comment

Very interesting topic since one of the big things we are doing this year at The Darkness for our 20th season and the Transworld Haunt Tour is building ceilings on all of our new scenes.

If you come to the tour you'll see a massive amount of ways we created false ceilings... you can create them several different ways. Probably the easiest of all the ways is camo net over your scenes. But I will tell you another big thing I'm into is 12 foot tall scenes... there isn't one single scene in the Darkness that is 8 foot everything is built up!

Come to the tour this year and you'll see probably 10 different ways we built false ceilings. www.TheDarkness.com

This actually might make for a great article in Hauntworld Magazine. I'll have to think about writing it .
                          Larry Kirchner
                          President
                          www.HalloweenProductions.com
                          www.BlacklightAttractions.com
                          www.HauntedHouseSupplies.com
                          www.HauntedHouseMagazine.com

Comment

Another effective and inexpensive way of doing it providing your Fire Marshall approves is using wooden or plastic lattice. It will not affect your sprinkler system at all. Plus it gives you some very cool ways to do some lighting effects from above. My entire haunt the last few years was completely covered and it did a great job making you feel very claustrophobic and closed in.
                            1986-1997 (Mutilation Mansion,) 1998 (Screamers Haunted House,) 1999 (Evil Intention Haunted House,) 2000-2001 Concept Creator/Business Partner (Urban Legends Haunted House,) 2002 Floor Plan Designer and Consultant for a (Haunted Barn) Owners had city challenges & were never able to open, 2002 Floor Plan Designer/Construction (Fright Nights Haunted House) 2003-2012 Now retired Owner (Deadly Intentions Haunted Attraction)

Comment

Working...
                            X