Possible bad news for Haunts, MLB Schedule Change

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Possible bad news for Haunts, MLB Schedule Change

Hello, you guys don't know me, I'm just a long time observer of these forums, and a student of the haunted house game. I don’t usually post, but to me, this warrants opening my mouth.

I’ve just happened upon what I personally believe to be catastrophic news for many in the haunted attraction industry. Many of you may have seen this already, and some of you might even think that this isn’t a big deal.

As a matter of fact, to some of you this isn’t a big deal. But to any haunt in a large baseball market, this could be a nightmare. Haunted houses like the Darkness, or Dreamreapers, I’m talking about you.

This past week Major League Baseball announced it’s new postseason schedule. Here it is:

2007 MAJOR LEAGUE BASEBALL POSTSEASON SCHEDULE
    Series Date Network

NLDS A Game 1 Wed., Oct. 3 TBS

NLDS B Game 1 Wed., Oct. 3 TBS

ALDS B Game 1 Wed., Oct. 3 TBS

NLDS A Game 2 Thurs., Oct. 4 TBS

NLDS B Game 2 Thurs., Oct. 4 TBS

ALDS A Game 1 Thurs., Oct. 4 TBS

ALDS A Game 2 Fri., Oct. 5 TBS

ALDS B Game 2 Fri., Oct. 5 TBS

NLDS A Game 3 Sat., Oct. 6 TBS

NLDS B Game 3 Sat., Oct. 6 TBS

ALDS A Game 3 Sun., Oct. 7 TBS/TNT

ALDS B Game 3 Sun., Oct. 7 TBS/TNT

NLDS A Game 4 Sun., Oct. 7 TBS/TNT

NLDS B Game 4 Sun., Oct. 7 TBS/TNT

ALDS A Game 4 Mon., Oct. 8 TBS

ALDS B Game 4 Mon., Oct. 8 TBS

NLDS A Game 5 Tues., Oct. 9 TBS

NLDS B Game 5 Tues., Oct. 9 TBS

ALDS A Game 5 Wed., Oct. 10 TBS

ALDS B Game 5 Wed., Oct. 10 TBS

NLCS Game 1 Thurs., Oct. 11 TBS

NLCS Game 2 Fri., Oct. 12 TBS

ALCS Game 1 Fri., Oct. 12 FOX

ALCS Game 2 Sat., Oct. 13 FOX

NLCS Game 3 Sun., Oct. 14 TBS

ALCS Game 3 Mon., Oct. 15 FOX

NLCS Game 4 Mon., Oct. 15 TBS

ALCS Game 4 Tues., Oct. 16 FOX

NLCS Game 5 Wed., Oct. 17 TBS

ALCS Game 5 Thurs., Oct. 18 FOX

NLCS Game 6 Fri., Oct. 19 TBS

ALCS Game 6 Sat., Oct. 20 FOX

NLCS Game 7 Sat., Oct. 20 TBS

ALCS Game 7 Sun., Oct. 21 FOX

WS Game 1 Wed., Oct. 24 FOX

WS Game 2 Thurs., Oct. 25 FOX

WS Game 3 Sat., Oct. 27 FOX

WS Game 4 Sun., Oct. 28 FOX

WS Game 5 Mon., Oct. 29 FOX

WS Game 6 Wed., Oct. 31 FOX

WS Game 7 Thurs., Nov. 1 FOX

Italics indicate "if necessary."

Now not to be an alarmist, but if you look at those dates, you’ll notice something. MLB has, for the first time, officially scheduled a baseball game on Halloween. This is not just any baseball game, this is game 6 of the world series. Potentially, this is the biggest baseball game of the year.

On Halloween.

You’ll also notice that, except for Friday, Oct. 26, every major date that a haunted attraction needs to draw customers has a major playoff game scheduled. For the entire month. This has never happened before, but MLB plans to do it this way from now on.

I repeat, this is not a one-year thing. MLB has cracked November, and it is their intention to do so from now on. If this doesn’t worry you, think for a second about what this means:

Last year Larry Kirchner reported here on Hauntworld suffering some major attendance loss because the Cardinals were in the World Series. Last year, the World Series was over by Oct. 27th. This gave The Darkness several days to spare, time to rebound and still capitalize off Halloween.

In 2003 when the Cubs almost made the World Series, it’s been reported from numerous sources that Chicago haunted attractions lost thousands and thousands of customers. Had the Cubs made the World Series, there are Chicago area haunted houses that would’ve very likely “lost their shirts.”

And this was before the World Series was scheduled on Halloween. So let’s continue to use Chicago as our example. Now picture what it would be like if say, the Cubs, and their hundred years of futility, went to the World Series.

In Chicago, if the Cubs make the playoffs, it consumes the city. It’s all anyone cares about, even non-baseball fans. People who wouldn’t be caught dead watching baseball during the regular season become obsessed. Flags, billboards, bar specials… everything belongs to the Cubs. If the Cubs reach the World Series, well then Haunted Houses will pay and pay big.

Because if the Cubs win or lose the Series in six or seven games, that means that, through the entire month of October, October 26th will probably be the only night most people will have free to attend a haunted house. And their Cubs fever would be so high, they probably wouldn’t even think to attend a haunted house anyway.

Let’s say the Cubs new ownership decides to spend big money on their team, like the Red Sox or Yankees do. This could certainly turn the Cubs into a perennial contender. If the Cubs were to make back-to-back postseason appearances,(unlikely, but certainly possible) with the schedule as it is above, most of the haunted houses in Chicago could easily go out of business, no questions asked.

It’s not just Chicago. Other major Haunt markets, like Ohio, Michigan, Wisconsin, Missouri… These are places where haunted houses don’t need to compete with one of the World’s biggest sporting events. MLB needs to be stopped, their season was already far too long, and I’m saying that as a baseball fan. Although thinking about it, that goal seems nearly impossible. Seems like money will always have the last say.

Halloween has long had the benefit of being alone. No competition, a time when there’s no major sports, no other attractions. On Halloween, you either celebrated Halloween, or you did nothing.

Now Halloween is a major sporting event. If your haunt is in a major baseball market, chances are you'll feel the effects. Maybe not this year, maybe not five years from now. But if someone doesn’t come up with a plan, IAHA or anyone else, if something isn’t done, someone probably will lose there shirt/haunted house over this.

Thank you for reading, and please feel free to comment. I can’t think of any answers and I’d love to hear what anyone thinks.

Thanks

I dont think anyone has to worry about St. Louis making it to the World Series this year! Maybe not even the playoffs. Just my two cents.
    Damon
    Damon Carson

Comment

Do people go to these games to see baseball, or to look at some very wealthy people dressed as baseball players?
      What percentage of "fans" would remain home if alcohol was taken away from the park?
      As a kid growing up before instant replays I got discouraged trying to enjoy baseball on TV because for hours on end the game's action would severely lag, the second I walked out of the room ,"It's over the fence for a Home Run!" ???
      Waiting for TV to entertain and inform or go out and live your own real life?
      Open the door, I'm going outside!
      You can't get beaned or hit in your private parts watching it on TV, you have to go out and throw and bat to really experience the agony of defeat, decrocth, deskull.
      The last time a ball hit my eye, the pitcher stopped to see how I was doing, in a dim room I uncovered my injured eye and he made some strange sounds, trying not to alarm me (his victim), I had a piece of raw bacon folded a few times laying on my eye! Scared Him! hahahah!
      hauntedravensgrin.com

Comment

Should we dub this the "Bats vs Bats" crisis?
        sigpic
        Louis Brown
        Owner, operator, and dish washer
        at
        DarkWood Manor

Comment

That's a real swinging idea! Groovey!

"and the pitcher has been ejected from the game , he was using a foreign substance on the ball, bat guano!"
          hauntedravensgrin.com

Comment

That wouldn't be a good idea. Any ball with guano would end up being a foul ball.
            sigpic
            Louis Brown
            Owner, operator, and dish washer
            at
            DarkWood Manor

Comment

The acid in the guano might eliminate some of the shape and weight of the ball effecting balance, making it a real curving wobbler to ever hit though.

"It's a spitball!"
              "Nobody has breath That Bad!"
              hauntedravensgrin.com

Comment

I think its a HUGE mistake to play a WS game on Halloween.

Even though in some ways what they did was good news, they finally decided that weekday games get better ratings so they no longer want games on weekends. GOOD FOR US!

They're phasing out weekend games for weekdays.

But WS on Halloween that's absurd.

Larry
                Larry Kirchner
                President
                www.HalloweenProductions.com
                www.BlacklightAttractions.com
                www.HauntedHouseSupplies.com
                www.HauntedHouseMagazine.com

Comment

Guess it means we just get creative. Instead of playing old horror movies as line entertainment you put the game on! Instead of outside music, maybe a radio broadcast of the game and then note it in your advertising.
                  Save your specials for those nights, two for ones, ect. make a deal with a sports bar, discount to your haunt with a receipt from the bar, two for one drinks at the bar with your ticket stub...

We're creative, just think ahead!
                  R&J Productions
                  Las Vegas, NV
                  www.LasVegasHaunts.com

Comment

"Creative", like have a bouncher dressed as the "Vampire-Umpire",
                    "Yer OUT!" (Of the door.)
                    Have a hallway of reaching, grasping hands..wearing baseball gloves.
                    Zombie players from past seasons of long, long ago, uniforms tattered, very dingy.
                    The old catcher with the cleat marked face, have ears of corn roped to a pole..Tie Cobb! The corn could be visably struggling, trying to get away.
                    hauntedravensgrin.com

Comment

I guess I should he happy that the Orioles suck these days! Rich's ideas were great, and that is the right approach to the situation, be proactive!

Allan

Comment

Hell

Damn that is going to hurt...
                        Screw the cubs they can't win for anything....
                        When they were in the playoffs a few years back it hurt
                        When the games ended they started coming out
                        When the sox were in the series it didn't hurt too bad....it was over quick
                        People get mad at me for hoping they lose...hell it hurts biz no matter what!
                        Gee could it get any better than this?

Comment

You should feel lucky that Baltimore and Washington suck.

You know if you took the wins from both teams and put them together they still wouldn't make the playoffs.

LOL

Lucky you!!!

The Cardinals in the series last year HURT BIG TIME!

Larry
                          Larry Kirchner
                          President
                          www.HalloweenProductions.com
                          www.BlacklightAttractions.com
                          www.HauntedHouseSupplies.com
                          www.HauntedHouseMagazine.com

Comment

Geeze Larry, what a great pick-me-up that was! Seriously though, Baltimore should finish around .500 this year, but not much noise in the playoffs, and yes the Nats really do suck! I guess I should feel fornunate about this. The Orioles have been mediocre since Ripken retired. But we still have the best ballpark in the country!!!

Allan

Comment

Thanks to everyone for the various responses.

Larry, I hope you're correct about phasing out the weekend games. I hadn't heard that, and it's welcome news.

Best of luck, all.

Comment

Working...
                              X