Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Your Domain Name for Your Haunt Site - Don't let this happen to you....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Your Domain Name for Your Haunt Site - Don't let this happen to you....

Don’t let this happen to you!!

I had a good friend call me last night with an issue where their haunt company web site has been online for 10+ years, the guy who help them setup their website took a vacation for several years, basically disappeared… so in turn they found someone else to help with web updates, etc… renewal time came up, the friend was not so friendly anymore and refuses to give up the domain name and basically holding them hostage for $$. This happens all the time, unfortunately…

Make sure all your Domains for your web site(s) are registered in YOUR name. Not your programmer’s name, not your friend of a friends name, not your marketing/advertising/developers companies name…. have the Domain Name registered in the owner of the company’s name, with the owners email address and information.

There is nothing wrong with a design or development firm managing domain names for clients, as long as the client directs what happens to that domain name. At the very least have a contract between both organizations clearly stating this.

It only costs about $12 a year for a domain name – but it can get very costly in these situations to resolve these problems. Legal fees, loss of website, downtime, etc etc… There are ways to work through this – but save yourself any future issues and just get this done right from day 1.

Save yourself the headaches.

• Make sure YOU own your own domain name and have the username and password for your account.
    • Make sure YOU own your own hosting account and have the username and password for your account.

Good luck!!

Thanks,

Paul Boyd

This happens all the time. Several years ago, an Illinois haunter I know was in a similar situation. His domain ended up expiring and the new owner was holding it hostage for $5,000. Don't let this happen to you!
    Happy Haunting,

Adam Drendel
    Webmaster of http://www.HauntedIllinois.com

Visit us on Facebook for the latest updates! http://www.facebook.com/pages/Haunte...m/225595667213

Comment

Around here too!

A local high school kid was doing web sites for small businesses and keeping the ownership of their "Names". He was making money! charging them fees for this and that and holding their entire website as "insurance" over their heads.
      None of these practises were popular or long-term, so maybe he could have had a long term business himself from doing it more honestly? But then , he was just a "Kid".
      When we went to get "Ravens Grin" someone else all ready owned it,just sitting on it, speculating... This made us get "Haunted Ravens Grin" which I really feel, worked much better for us! ("Happy Accident!")
      hauntedravensgrin.com

Comment

Paul is absolutely right! I've already had to help a few clients get out of this nightmare recently. Make sure to register the domain with Domain.com, GoDaddy.com, or whoever YOURSELF or have them create the domain in your name and hand over the username and password to the account that manages it. When I register domains for clients, this is what I do to make sure that if I'm killed in a car accident that night, they are not left helpless. And if your dealing with someone that is using it for insurance or whatever, that's a huge warning flag that you shouldn't do business with them in the first place. If they are not thinking about your needs first, then expect to be screwed!
        News and event coverage from directly inside the Haunt Industry - http://www.hauntersdigest.com
        Get a Website and/or Mobile App for Your Attraction - http://www.charlesterry.com

Comment

This sucks, I can see where this could be devastating. Thanks for sharing this.

Jake

Comment

Working...
          X