Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Video editing software

Hello,

I'm just curious to know what kind of software anyone might recommend for editing video?

Thanks a lot,
    Allan

Final Cut, Adobe Premiere, or Media Composer from Avid. But most of these have a learning curve if you are not familiar with editing video. If you need something edited just let us know and we can help out.
    Best,
    Bill Rod.
    Dark Tech Effects
    Bill Rod.
    Dark Tech Effects
    Automated DMX Lighting
    Show Control - Audio / Visual Effects

Comment

Too many variables to answer this question earnestly - the two major questions being. what's the video source format? and, what's the style of work you want?.

The newest version of final cut is blunted and meant to be used by consumers. Besides that Vegas Video is the easiest for a new user. Avid Symphony and up is professional level and out of reach unless you know someone with a suite.

In the middle is Adobe Premiere pro CS5.5, needs a 64 bit system and encodes DSLR HD without pre-encoding or plug ins. For my needs it is the preferred system as I switch between it and After effects. If you're doing haunt related video you will need after effects, non-linear editors are for building scenes and sewing clips, you can also use plug ins or formulas from light room and photoshop for color correction but that's it, basic editing.

Lastly, with well shot footage you can make work with free microsoft movie maker.

Comment

I use Sony Vegas and DVD architect to edit and render to DVD for my props.
        Pete

Comment

I know a lot of people are down on Final Cut Pro X, but I've been editing for ten years and I really like FCP X. It's coming a long way from release to get back in the good graces of pro editors. They have done some updates to get functionality that pro editors need, but for 90% of peoples needs, it's perfect. Unless you doing some serious editing that requires a bunch of VFX compositing work and syncing with other pro decks and timecode editing, then it will work perfect fine for you. Also, if you have an iPad, there is a very nice third party software that was just released that turns the iPad into a deck controller. I just bought it a few days ago and it's really helping to streamline some of my editing. You can check it out here - http://store.pixelfilmstudios.com/plugin/app-procutx. Only hitch, you have to have a mac.

If your stuck on a PC (which you should seriously consider going to a mac, especially after Windows 8 release), the only other option I would recommend for people, and there is a bit of a learning curve, is Adobe Premiere. It integrates great with products like After Effects and Photoshop, but some people may be intimidated with the interface when they first start out with it. But Adobe is way way way more pricey. Just something to consider.

End of the day, if you are already on a Mac, go with FCP X. It's way more affordable, it's powerful, and very intuitive to learn. If your on a PC (and unwilling to make a switch), go invest in Adobe Premiere and the rest of the Creative Suite.

If this is just a hobby for you or just need something to edit a few videos quick and dirty, I've heard that Vegas is a good software. But I've never tried it before so don't hold me to it.
          News and event coverage from directly inside the Haunt Industry - http://www.hauntersdigest.com
          Get a Website and/or Mobile App for Your Attraction - http://www.charlesterry.com

Comment

Originally posted by MovieRelics View Post
            I know a lot of people are down on Final Cut Pro X, but I've been editing for ten years and I really like FCP X. It's coming a long way from release to get back in the good graces of pro editors. They have done some updates to get functionality that pro editors need, but for 90% of peoples needs, it's perfect. Unless you doing some serious editing that requires a bunch of VFX compositing work and syncing with other pro decks and timecode editing, then it will work perfect fine for you. Also, if you have an iPad, there is a very nice third party software that was just released that turns the iPad into a deck controller. I just bought it a few days ago and it's really helping to streamline some of my editing. You can check it out here - http://store.pixelfilmstudios.com/plugin/app-procutx. Only hitch, you have to have a mac.

If your stuck on a PC (which you should seriously consider going to a mac, especially after Windows 8 release), the only other option I would recommend for people, and there is a bit of a learning curve, is Adobe Premiere. It integrates great with products like After Effects and Photoshop, but some people may be intimidated with the interface when they first start out with it. But Adobe is way way way more pricey. Just something to consider.

End of the day, if you are already on a Mac, go with FCP X. It's way more affordable, it's powerful, and very intuitive to learn. If your on a PC (and unwilling to make a switch), go invest in Adobe Premiere and the rest of the Creative Suite.

If this is just a hobby for you or just need something to edit a few videos quick and dirty, I've heard that Vegas is a good software. But I've never tried it before so don't hold me to it.
            Agreed. One caveat, if you go the Adobe Premiere Pro route get a copy of CS5.5 or newer. You will inevitably want to edit DSLR footage and you will not enjoy the web of third party crap you have to navigate to get workable codec into earlier versions of PP.

Comment

I use Corel VideoStudio Pro X4. It was pretty easy to pick up and it does everything I need it to do.
              sigpic
              Louis Brown
              Owner, operator, and dish washer
              at
              DarkWood Manor

Comment

We use Final Cut Pro X and Adobe Premier Pro CS6 for editing, between the two you can do virtually anything you would ever need. Now if its more general post-production VFX setup you're after, I honestly wouldn't know where to start suggesting software without knowing your project goals, we have another dozen or so "go to" programs for various VFX stuff here, its all pretty case-by-case in that area. But as far as editing goes, FCP and Premier.
                -Mat

Comment

Great info everyone thanks a lot for sharing.

i just need something for editing and putting together footage from my haunts, nothing too crazy just for a clean and professional presentation.

Allan

Comment

I use Adobe Premiere CS6 along with AfterEffects CS6 for just about everything. I shoot video with Canon 5DMK II's and III's and a Red Scarlet and CS6 handles all native footage nicely.
                    Travis Magee
                    Brutal Industries LLC
                    www.brutalindustries.com
                    www.facebook.com/brutalindustries13

Comment

Thanks Travis, the Adobe program seems to be a popular choice and sounds like its user friendly, thanks for posting.

Allan

Comment

Working...
                      X