Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Haunted House Sales Tax? Are you charged a sales tax on admission ticket sales?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's just a matter of time

Originally posted by Mike Goff View Post
    Kelly, I have been following this pretty close, and I do not believe that it has legs. The people that are raising the most hell about it, are the County Fairs. Fairs are already in a bad shape, due to a combination of the economy, and using the same business model for the last 30 years. I just don't see it happening. Let's hope.
    It's coming I hate to tell you it's not if but when the tax man will come for you too it's like that pretty much anywhere where there is a modest population so if you haven't had to pay yet consider yourself lucky and get ready for it.

Jake

Comment

Originally posted by Deathwing View Post
      It's coming I hate to tell you it's not if but when the tax man will come for you too it's like that pretty much anywhere where there is a modest population so if you haven't had to pay yet consider yourself lucky and get ready for it.

Jake
      I agree Jake, it is just a matter of time. All of our taxes are going to go way up, from many different angles. I think that this time around the State sales tax won't get anywhere.
      www.haroldshaunt.com

Comment

Im shocked

That some states has still has no tax. I agree it's coming no way out of it! Shane and it's all good things must come to an end!
        sigpic

Comment

Blame it on the tax man!

Here in NC we are not required to pay amusement tax for tickets to our corn maze or our Zipline tour, however we are required to pay the state a 3% amusement tax on the haunted attraction tickets. We have absorbed this tax for 27 years, but starting this year we are passing this to the customer. I made this decision while standing in line at a Disney ticket booth last month when I read at the bottom of the ticket board was a notice that prices did not include tax.

The customer is used to paying tax, by passing it on we just gave our bottom line a 3% boost. I have discussed this with other haunts in our market and they are going to do the same.
          Tony Wohlgemuth,
          Comes up with the fun stuff!
          Kersey Valley, Inc.
          www.KerseyValley.com

Comment

Expanded Sales tax all but dead in Ohio

It's looking like the sales tax won't be happening anytime soon.

http://www.limaohio.com/opinion/edit...9bb30f31a.html
            www.haroldshaunt.com

Comment

Sales tax in Ohio

Mike, you could be correct. I've been listening to radio talk shows lately and it's sounding like it won't happen anytime soon. One potential reason, they included taxing lawyer fees! Guess which join is leading the fight to keep this tax from coming? Yep, the Ohio Bar Association, a good group to have on your side when you want to challenge a new tax. I'm sure somehow, someday they'll implement a sales tax; if not the state, then local city tax.

I was just curious how many haunts in other states are dealing with this issue and I appreciate all the responses.

Kelly Collins
              The ScareAtorium

Comment

Many cities in Ohio (over 70) are already charging a sales tax for entertainment venues. My guess would be that Governor Kasich is looking to take that from the towns that already have it in place and building on it from there. That, after all, is how this dickhead operates.
                Like a midget at a urinal, you gotta be on your toes

http://www.wellstownshiphauntedhouse.com

Comment

It never ceases to amaze me. Cities tax and regulate people to death and then bitch when the people flee like refugees. What amazes me even more is when the city people move into the country, and bring all of their big city ideas with them. In effect they try to make their new location exactly like the location that they are fleeing from. It's a vicious cycle that boggles my mind.
                  www.haroldshaunt.com

Comment

Texas does indeed collect taxes on every ticket, trinket, photo, what have you. There used to be an exception that if you were legitimately tied in with a 501(c)3...they could fill out the forms to send to the Texas State Comptroller-which effectively made you a revenue stream for THEM. Sales tax was not sent to the Texas Comptroller...but to the non profit event that you had partnered up with (Hint here: Make SURE they file the form with the Comptroller's office!)

Pesonally, I'd always like to see the non-profit get it as opposed to the state. Never ceases to amaze me that people don't consider the taxes (or how they may legally minimize them) when they are crunching up their business numbers.
                    Kathryn DeSautell
                    Lafitte's Landing, Dark Shadows Entertainment

Comment

Working...
                    X