Future Tradeshow Location - St Louis Weather

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kevin

Im not offended at all I can give it and I can take it ( no jokes there and yes I am planning a wedding lol). I say this why not open the show up to the public use arm bands the general public one color the buyers another that way the prices would come down for the vendors greatly and I am sure TW would make even more. Many tradeshows are open to the public it's a thought and I am sure open up a whole new debate. And in what you said I can understand Kevin just as I see where Allen said it cost him to go to St. Louis everyone feels different about this if your close then I see your point. If your a vendor far away I see their points that's why I see it as good to move around to spread it out for others. The show is established it's not open to the general public so the buyers would follow most any place it is or stays. Shane and it's here, there wherever
    sigpic

Comment

No way, general public? That would crowd it up and run up costs as the scarf up every catalog and hog time with vendors with no intentions to buy.

Jake

Comment

Jake

It will never happen but that's why I said use arm bands there are ways. I mean heck there are many, many, many actors who attend the show who picks stuff up knowing they would not buy. It's like anything NOTHING in this world is perfect and nothing comes without headaches. Shane and it's the never ending-story!
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by graystone View Post
          It will never happen but that's why I said use arm bands there are ways. I mean heck there are many, many, many actors who attend the show who picks stuff up knowing they would not buy. It's like anything NOTHING in this world is perfect and nothing comes without headaches. Shane and it's the never ending-story!
          You are right there. But I think that the actors too don't really need to be there if it's a tradeshow. Should be about the buyers I would think.

Jake

Comment

Location, Location, Location

I agree with the other vendors that have been chiming in here on this. I have exhibited at this show in all three locations it has been at since 2003 (Rosemont, Vegas, STL) and I can say that STL is by far and wide the best location to date. The only negative for me being the show "decorator" (name starts with an "H").

A few reasons that come to mind why STL is a good venue for me as a vendor:

• Nice, clean, large, modern convention hall. I wish there were better food choices but that’s true of any convention.
            • It is centrally located to my customer base. By the way, CA and FL are too far removed from the core haunter customer base making them the worst of all places to consider. Actually anything west of STL is a very poor choice. I love the west and Orlando but not for a location to bring in haunters.

• The weather ain't that bad! Hey, I live in MN - now that's cold. And Rosemont ("Chicago") was just miserable. Warm places do not have a lot of haunts and haunters = bad place for a show.

• Some may say different but the proximity of the hotel bar across the street is a key factor in making the show a success. One reason Vegas was a disaster is because there was no one place where everyone gathered - everyone was all over town. I did almost zero networking there because of that.

• Nice main hotel and great restaurant choices within walking distance. It’s not a bad downtown at all.

• Easy train transportation to and from the airport

• The Darkness. Yes, it does get old seeing the same haunt every year but this is by far one of the best in the country and Larry puts a lot into changing it up each year. This is not the show to see haunts, this is the place to do serious business. Go to MHC or HC for haunt tours!
            • This type of B2B show needs to stay in one location and not move around. Stability and knowing what to expect is huge for me.

Heads up vendors... Booth prices will be going up a bit next year due to sharp increases in the STL convention hall. But this venue is still worth staying at!

Doug.
            www.frightprops.com

[FrightProps Blog]
            [Google+] [YouTube]
            [Facebook] [Twitter] [Tumblr] [Pinterest]

sigpic

Comment

Doug I agree with most of what you said, 100% on Vegas the town has no central point for people to gather and I think that is one of the things that makes TW special. You may be right about the other conventions too they have their tours and that is a draw for them and they have that covered. I am not looking for another haunt tour either, just if TW were to move to a new location it needs to have all the good things about St. Louis as a minimum and then some new stuff. Don't move it if it is not an improvement. I will say that I do like to go to the Darkness and see what is new and if TW moved I would like to see a haunt of that caliber at a new location, that said that limits locations down even more for me. Weather is not a factor for me it snowed 4" last night and it just means I had to get up a half hour early to plow my drive way. As far a vendors go I am in business for myself and I go where the money is. I do a lot of work a the International Auto show every year so I understand how bad it is to deal with the unions so I am jealous of how easy St Louis is to deal with. But that is just a bonus when you are a vendor there. I don't see TW moving unless attendance drop off a lot in the next two years so this whole discussion my be a mute point. You don't mess with success you build on it.

Phatman

Also if you need to know of some food there, just ask concierge (or a fat guy) I have never had problems finding good food. I eat breakfast every morning at a little gourmet restaurant just two block up the road from the GR and its awesome.
              Phatman

Comment

I run a haunt in Branson and while there is a large convention center that would house a Transworld show just fine and there would be plenty of hotel rooms, the one thing we are lacking down here is haunts to open and tour through. My haunt in particular is nowhere near up to the technological levels that Larry has in his shows. We are just going on our 4th season and while I would love to show off my haunt to others in the industry, I'm still learning more from other haunters I think then they would learn from me. I do know that I could probably get a few other haunts to open and I know Larry has a connection at the Branson West haunt, but they don't like us very much so I'm rarely in communication with them and the owner is currently having er......legal problems. But it does make me smile to think of haunters invading the Branson area and the reactions they would get!
                http://www.hauntedozarks.com

Comment

Keep working and may be in a few years Larry will be asking you for advice. He started small and grew too. Good luck

Phatman
                  Phatman

Comment

Ozarks

Maybe it's just me but I have played Haunted House for 20 years now and I never seen it as a big guy or a small guy industry I have looked at it as a crazy family! Hell I went years not even attending the show because I was busting my ass building a company non haunt related. Don't sell yourself short. I have been to many big haunts that was cool but not scary then I been to some small off the wall haunts that got my ass good! Part of what's wrong with the world is people see status as idols and envy but everyone is human and everyone has passion. Yes I am blessed but money is just a tool and it does not take away heartache, drama, and stress if anything it adds to it I have learned that many times and am learning that now. My point is I have always seen us all in this Industry as on the same team. Yes you have some star players and then you got hidden talent all across the U.S. It's not what's in a haunt that impresses me its the passion and drive from the staff and owners. I had my share of issues with Larry back in the day but hey I call him a good friend now and am not and will not knock what he has and he surly has earned my respect he has a great event, Ben is another one who I say the same thing about there are several really. Sadly I have seen where some think they are better than others and thats sad because in my world everyone has something to offer where you step back and say wow I did not think of that. I am a haunt owner and buyer and that's what the show is about but sure would be cool to see some other haunts out there heck just a new city to explore after the show given the chance. As a buyer hell I can pick up the phone order and save thousands that it takes to bring my staff to the show I got $4000.00 in rooms alone! I may be the only one that see's change as new, and exciting and a new town and new haunts may bring new life to me! Heck maybe I am just burned out who knows but owning a coach company I sure love seeing new cities, new places and people. Shane and it's either way it is what it is and it's not my show
                    sigpic

Comment

Shane I can not agree more with that its not about size it's about doing the best you can. I went to a yard haunt this last year for charity and I will tell you they had two actors that I think could work at any haunt in the country. It's a passion that you can't make but just have. Now if I'm paying for a haunt at a convention I'm doing it for a learning experience, I like going and seeing what can be done and how I can mimic it on a level that I can afford. Sorry Larry, but I love to steel you ideas, but I figure you must be ok with it thats why you put them on DVDs for us. Yours and others pictures here on HW give me ideas and get the creative juices running. But I have bought every DVD you have and plan on buying some of your new CGI stuff this year. Shane you travel a lot for work I believe and I do to. Most people think that because I'm in California, Bahamas, and Hawaii that its like a vacation, but it not, its work. I hate hotels, eating out, and most of all airports. TW to me is about getting together with like minded people and sharing stories and experiences, seeing new stuff and learning. Oh I forgot buying some cool stuff and then banging my head for spending so much. (I'm a impulse buyer, I like it I buy it). I think it would be difficult to move TW to a location that would satisfy the majority of the attendees and vendors. Of course other conventions do it it so I may be wrong.

Phatman
                      Phatman

Comment

Shane,
                        Have you ever been to the legendary haunt tour?
                        I absolutely love it.
                        I actually get a chance to see a haunt in person without the stress of having to vend at the same time.

I would highly recommend it.
                        Kevin R. Alvey
                        info at gore-galore.com
                        www.gore-galore.com
                        www.halloweenmusicgalore.com
                        www.youtube.com/goregalore13
                        www.facebook.com/goregalore

sigpic

Comment

Kevin

Sadly no! During March-Nov it's tour season for all the top tours in the country thats the coach part of the business. Then Oct-Dec is the Christmas part of my company then when ever Easter falls. I guess I just feel my company can't run without me. My haunt guys will tell you I hardly let them do anything without me. It's just my nature. Hey I can wish lol! Shane and it's I miss it everyway!
                          sigpic

Comment

Kevin I just started feeling better about not going this year. Are they doing it this next year again, if they are I won't miss this time. Shane it's just a couple of days of time, air fair, hotel and car rental. Plus some of the best food in the country. I'm not missing it again.

Phatman
                            Phatman

Comment

Originally posted by austind View Post
                              I eat breakfast every morning at a little gourmet restaurant just two block up the road from the GR and its awesome.
                              Whats the name of this place, bringing my wife and she's a foodie, this might make her happy and then allow me to spend a couple $$

Thank You

Comment

Stefanos, it's on 10th st. I have only had breakfast there but have been told they have the best calzones in St. Louis. Here is a link to some info.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserR..._Missouri.html

Phatman
                                Phatman

Comment

Working...
                                X