Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fire Safety Question- Dead tree branches indoors?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fire Safety Question- Dead tree branches indoors?

I’m currently working as creative director for a small haunted attraction in southern IL and brand new to the pro side of things. We are building what amounts to an indoor haunted trail in an old retail space. There's lots of room but we don't have resources to build a maze with wall panels in the entire space.

I'm thinking of doing a haunted forest type theme for at least one area since our sponsor is affiliated with a landscaping company and we could potentially get as many trimmed tree branches as we need. I have a pretty good idea of how I’m going to set things up if we go this route but would like to bounce it off some more experienced minds to make sure it’s a viable option. My main concern with this idea is fire safety, how would the fire marshal/insurance company react to a forest of dead tree limbs being used indoors? Our building does have sprinklers and the branches would be affixed to our set decor and out of reach of the patrons.

Has anyone ever done or seen anything similar, and if so were there any issues?

Thanks!

I would talk to your fire Marshal first. Tell them your plan and all the things you aregoing to do to make it safe. You did not mention Fire retardant, you need to start mentioning that.
    www.Stiltbeaststudios.com
    http://www.youtube.com/user/Stiltbea...s?feature=mhee

Comment

Thanks Allen!
      Good call, I'm sure bringing the fire marshal in sooner rather than later is best regardless of how we proceed with this particular idea.
      Ah yes fire retardant! Forgot to mention that, but yes we will be using it as well.

I appreciate the response!

Comment

We had a 10,000 sqft rainfoest. We had to firepoof the trees and it also had to rain on them. Yes we had floor drains.

Not sure how Larry is getting away with it, ask him...

Stew

Comment

Trees and brances are very easy to treat with flame retardant, it soaks it up well. Knott's used tons of it.

Jake

Comment

Excellent!
            Thanks for the great info everyone!
            I think this has got us thinking along the right lines for when we bring the fire dept in.
            Appreciate the feedback!.

Comment

I agree to check with your fire marshal. I have run haunts in several different cities, they have never allowed me to use ay type of real vegetation. Old stumps, tree branches, leaves, hay or even sod. It's always best to speak with all your cities inspectors that might be coming out as far ahead of time as possible. Have you even talked to the building or planning department to make sure the space that you want to use will be acceptable for a haunted attraction? I would start there if you have not.

Good luck,
              1986-1997 (Mutilation Mansion,) 1998 (Screamers Haunted House,) 1999 (Evil Intention Haunted House,) 2000-2001 Concept Creator/Business Partner (Urban Legends Haunted House,) 2002 Floor Plan Designer and Consultant for a (Haunted Barn) Owners had city challenges & were never able to open, 2002 Floor Plan Designer/Construction (Fright Nights Haunted House) 2003-2012 Now retired Owner (Deadly Intentions Haunted Attraction)

Comment

Working...
              X