Do you belong to HAA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Maybe just maybe

Maybe a large part of the issue is that we are looking at the wrong problems in the industry to approach with a collective body. There seems to have been this focus on standards and support by all previous organizations. It goes without saying that hasn't really accomplished much. Maybe instead we should be looking at archiving and recognition? Approximately how many attractions are there in the US currently? How many in Georgia? In Macon County? How many of them are large commercial attractions? Home attractions? Charities? Volunteer based? Attend Transworld? Attend MHC? And how does all this data compare to 2000? To 1990? To 1980? When did the peppers ghost start appearing in attractions? Pneumatic Props? Fog Machines? What are the current fog companies? Fog formulas?

We are absolutely wonderful about sharing information in this industry. Honestly almost everyone is willing to tell you how they did something, why, what works, what doesn't. Sit and talk with you for hours about their attraction, and every attraction they have ever had a part in. But we are absolutely terrible about recording this knowledge and then making it accessible in some useful manor.

And then we need to include vendors in on all of this because it will help them to target products at what we need. Was this a bad year all around for everyone? Time to churn out cheaper products that will meet the demand. A fantastic year, everyone is up? Time to roll out those crazy elaborate ideas you've been sitting on for years but could never justify the investment in.

And then recognition. Who's been in this industry for 20, 30, 40, 50 years? What vendors have been around since dirt was invented? How old is Distortions? Same owners? What attractions have been around for 20, 30, 40, 50 years? Who got up in front of their state senate and made a hell of an argument as to why this industry is safe? Who won a landmark legal case that could help us all keep from getting sued?

There is a huge potential for a central body that doesn't seek to control the industry but instead sits back and archives everything we go through. And then makes this information freely available so that we can preserve the state of the industry at any given time. Anyone attached to this industry in any way should be able to join. Attraction, vendor, individual, charity, doesn't matter. Then those of us who are fortunate enough to be doing well should donate to keep the wheels turning. Not because its the only way we can join the club, but instead because it's something we actually believe in.

Harold
    DHD

Comment

According to their website, they allow a wide variety of people/groups to join their Association, which I think is a recipe for failure. The following categories are listed on their website enrollment page: Student, Enthusiast,Professional Actor, Home Haunter, Commercial Haunter, Commercial Haunted Attraction, Amusement Park/Zoo, Small Business Vendor, Large Business Vendor,Convention Producer.

One of the biggest problems with the Haunted Attraction Association is that they try to be everything for everyone, which will never work. When you create an association, how could it possibly be successful if all of your members have different needs and/or a different/conflicting agenda? It’s just absurd to assume that enthusiasts, home haunters, commercial haunted attractions, vendors, actors and convention promoters all have the same needs/goals.
      Last edited by Haunted Illinois; 03-03-2013, 04:37 PM.
      Happy Haunting,

Adam Drendel
      Webmaster of http://www.HauntedIllinois.com

Visit us on Facebook for the latest updates! http://www.facebook.com/pages/Haunte...m/225595667213

Comment

Adam that is a good point. When you try to be everything to every body you really can't accomplish anything.

Phatman
        Phatman

Comment

a

In my tenure in the haunt industry I have been a part of all of them either a member or as a board member.. Wow what a waste of time and effort and money.

Comment

Originally posted by austind View Post
            Wow you are right about the newest posted item I saw was from 2009. I was a member but never receive any thing from them other than a email thanking me for joining. That was years ago and I don't think they have done anything ever since. Just wanted to know if I was missing anything. Doesn't look like I have. Well not one person has said that it was worth joining and they did not place a post so it must be true what Shane said and they are dead. Thanks for the input guys.

Phatman
            Austin..Dont be fooled by the tricks Larry played on you. He owns the HHA site and last I heard wont give it over(In his right he doesnt need to, but directing people to go to that site was alittle bit wrong). We are talking about the Haunted Attraction Ass. While it is a NOT waste of time, I just wanted you to get the right facts
            Last edited by spookhole; 03-15-2013, 01:09 AM.

Comment

What does the money from the auction go towards? The Haunted Attraction Association has a website, but besides that what other costs does the association have? At the auction, are they going to explain this? It looks like all the benefits for members are available on the website besides the banner members receive. Am I missing something here? It looks like their only costs as far as I can see is their website which shouldn't be much since it's a pretty simple website.
              Spooky Wishes
              Noah

City Blood: Ohio, Kentucky & Indiana's #1 Haunt Site!

http://www.ohioshaunted.com

Comment

Treasures Report

I think what Jolly Pumpkin wants is a treasures report. A good one doesnt just give current balances and budget but insight into what balances are being saved for ie future projects, war chest, etc.

Wicked Farmer

Comment

So in 3 years they have not been able to get a new site going? Larry is only one person of many to make statements on here and I am yet to see one that says they think its a good idea to join. How could there be not even one person? Does the board not monitor HW to see what is going on as far as comments or do they have no defense for the statements made here. I am a member of the NFPA and that helps with the FM but as far as showing cities that you are a profesional business HAA may fit that need even if they dont do anything else for me. People trust large organizations more than individuals and being part of a organization helps even if its a logo on your letter head. From what I have seen that is all they provide so is that worth it? Thanks for all the comments and I will have to see what I do from here, but it is unlikely I will join.

Phatman
                  Phatman

Comment

No, I just want to know what the money from the auction goes towards. If people are going to bid, they should know.
                    Spooky Wishes
                    Noah

City Blood: Ohio, Kentucky & Indiana's #1 Haunt Site!

http://www.ohioshaunted.com

Comment

austind, why pay to use the logo? It is an association that does not do anything. Just use the logo if you want, it is not like they even check to see who is using the logo and if they are actual members or not. Besides if anyone outside of the industry checks on the association (if you use the logo on letterhead, website, etc), they won't get anywhere with them.

Comment

Originally posted by austind View Post
                        So in 3 years they have not been able to get a new site going? Larry is only one person of many to make statements on here and I am yet to see one that says they think its a good idea to join. How could there be not even one person? Does the board not monitor HW to see what is going on as far as comments or do they have no defense for the statements made here. I am a member of the NFPA and that helps with the FM but as far as showing cities that you are a profesional business HAA may fit that need even if they dont do anything else for me. People trust large organizations more than individuals and being part of a organization helps even if its a logo on your letter head. From what I have seen that is all they provide so is that worth it? Thanks for all the comments and I will have to see what I do from here, but it is unlikely I will join.

Phatman
                        The reason is because Larry forbid anyone to post from the HAA in his forums a couple years ago, he said so on here. So they can't post here if they are not allowed. But they have bigger problems on their hands they do nothing and the email they send out are completely worthless with no valuable info. I mean, who wants to see a picture from the president every single single email that's sent out. He must be getting paid a nice chuck to be on as the president for IAHA for years then HAA for year after year. It's not like any if the members are even industry leaders at this point seems like they'll take anyone willing to run.

DA

Comment

Farmer if they are a 501 3C non profit inc has to provide financials to members if requested. Now they don't have to send you a copy, all they have to let you see them in there office. And to answer wickedondvd I am a firm believer in paying for what I use, no video bootlegs and no music either. Just because they don't really provide any real service does not mean you can use their logo without permission. I know this is old fashion but that's the way I do business and it has worked for me for many years now.

Phatman
                          Phatman

Comment

Working...
                          X