X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ooze Drip

Ooze Drip
    ~
    What could you add to an alien, gore or even a sewer scene?
    ~
    Dripping Ooze of course!
    ~
    ooze1.jpg
    ~
    By now there are plenty of people with tipped rusty barrels in their haunts. What a perfect addition to the environment is to add a wall of ooze or green sludge.
    ~
    I drew out tipped barrels in my black book of haunt ideas. Links to the tipping barrels video can be found on my profile.
    ~
    This article is not for barrels, but would work perfectly in conjunction with those or any slime scene. Instead, it’s about ooze, or more specifically, ooze dropping. As far as I know there are way too few haunted attractions using what I call walls-of-dripping-slime. I don’t mean streams of blood like the walls in Amityville. I am talking about a lot of goo.
    ~
    ooze2.jpg
    ~
    This picture shows the combination of drips. Sick!
    ~
    Let me try to offer some how to accomplish this idea. When I think of these things they are quickly followed by how they might be done. I don’t write them here as exact instructions…these are ideas only.
    ~
    ooze3.jpg
    ~
    Shown here is the first concept for an ooze dropping device. There is a conveyor belt that has heavy fabric attached to it. As the belt slowly rotates the fabric is dipped into a tank of ooze. The dipped fabric flops out of the tank and drips the slime down. –I need to point out that fabric is not the only way to get this to work. Attach a strip of thin plywood to the end for the ooze to grab on to and drip from.
    ~
    In the drawing I have a lower tank directly under the dipping slime. The ooze travels from here back to the top tank via pump. This sums up the procedure. But the following guides you through some much needed details.
    ~
    More ideas to get this working for you:
    ~
    ooze4.jpg
    ~
    Pictured here are 3 overhead dripping mechanisms. The top is a PVC pipe fitted with spray jets. The middle has a tank that continuously drips. I would like to see this one rock back and forth to give dimension as the ooze drips from back to front of the tank. The bottom tank has a tank that remains stationary with a moving plank inside. This sifter-plank moves the ooze and gives randomness to the flow of ooze.
    ~
    ooze5.jpg
    ~
    Pictured above top is another version of the later with a couple exceptions. First, the plank will not rock. Instead the plank pivots up and out to release large amounts of ooze. You can add holes to the bottom of the tank (although its not shown in the pictures). The bottom tank is the one I suggest making. The plank is attached by hinges and requires only a slow pneumatic cylinder to function. Add some holes to this one to let drips run freely, when people walk over the foot-trigger-mat, dump a huge amount of slime next to them. –The amounts can be adjustable, using your pneumatic controls, lift the plank half the way up for a little drip and all the way for a car-washing amount.
    ~
    The bottom tank:
    ~
    Although I have more illustrations in the black book regarding ooze dripping, I am limited here for space. So, to keep it short, the bottom is not as tricky as you might think. All you need is another tank (like in the above picture #2.) to catch the falling slime. To catch the splash (thick liquid won’t slash that much), add a mesh screen over the bottom tank. In some cases where you want thinned slime, the splash will need more than a simple screen. I suggest using small stones lying on top of your screen. Black smooth/round stones would fit in most haunt themes anyway. If you have nowhere to get them, buy a large bag of marbles, they will work just the same.
    ~
    Attach a pump to remove the ooze and shoot it up to the top tank and that’s all you need.
    *Add Glowing UV color and give the goo a real alien feel inside your 3d haunt.
    *I would like to see something like this in a haunt. It reminds me of the movie Aliens. It’s that close, slimy, dark monster that could pop out through the ooze feeling.
    ** My black book, by the way, is over 200 pages now with mostly never seen before haunt ideas.
    RIP

~The Imagineer~

Andrew de Ruiter

Download part 1 of Andrew's Black Book of ideas for haunts here:
    http://www.epubbud.com/book.php?g=EGQDK8HZ

Black book

And shall we start the bidding now @1000 dollars .for this black book
    Thank you sir do i hear 2000 now 3 now 4000 .thats the type of info in my opinion is priceless
    .iwould love to see this book . Thanks pm if something can be arranged

Comment

Part Two: Antigravity Slime

Thanks for the compliment; I wasn’t sure anyone was that interested in my works. I should tell you that I posted there are over 200 pages in the black book, but in reality there are lots more. The book is a simple drawing book I bought in Atlanta GA at a Barns & Nobel. It has about 30 pages left until it’s full. I wrote in my last post about there being over 200 pages. I actually stopped counting after 200 with about another 100 or so left. And, for every page, much like a book has a front and back, making my book considerably larger. Some pages have multiple ideas and effects and few ideas take up one or two pages. I think the longest effect is my Pepper’s Ghost stuff, it’s about 4 or 5 pages.
      ~
      blackbook.jpg
      I would be happy to show the book! I will contact you shortly.
      ~
      Anyway, as a thank you, here is part two to the ooze section:
      ~
      Antigravity Slime!
      ~
      First, I don’t want to take credit for this part as I had little to do with its creation other than finding an application for it. When I saw this I knew that it would work well with the dripping ooze (see first part of this article).
      ~
      Back in 2008 I ran across a video of some college kids at a technical university developing 3D water. They ran a pump from a tank into a dropper and let the water just drip. They attached a strobe light and tinted the water green. By changing the speeds of the strobe light they could see the water slow down, stop and reverse. –Yes, the water dropped upwards instead of down.
      ~
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dWyJiTvlcRQ
      ~
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4_9Xnc4FlZ0
      ~
      You can find more videos by searching, “Antigravity water.”
      ~
      My drawings were put in the book to remind me and haunters that is usable and can be fully interactive.
      ~
      The strobe lights used must be hidden and:grin: unseen. I added a shade with a slit in it to hit only the water as it falls. This will limit the amount of light shoot through the water and into the background. Here is a tip: add black fabric into your background or only where the beams of light travels to absorb the extra light beams.
      ~
      antigravity.jpg
      ~
      Bonus:
      ~
      Because I enjoy hearing compliments! Although every video that have seen uses water and/or a mixture of water, you don’t need to use water at all. Any small 3D object falling repeatedly can be used to accomplish this same effect. Say for instance a steady stream of marching ants or flying fairies. Please note that unless they fall in exactly the same pattern and manner they will look like tiny balls in the strobe light.
      RIP

~The Imagineer~

Andrew de Ruiter

Comment

Id say you've been busy documenting all your great ideas!!! lol! I love it. Your drawings are nice! The ooze falling would in deed be cool. I like the water falling "upwards" too!........Or big blobs of ooze falling upwards!!!!

I like it!!!! Its funny how the mind gets thinking of all these ideas.................. and how many different idea you we get before we actually REALLY bring one to life for our haunts???? Tons of ideas!! lol! Thanks for sharing!
        Kelly Anderson
        Owner- Halloween Undercroft
        http://www.halloweenundercroft.com/
        Owner- Haunt Your House llc

Comment

Ooze Drip

Originally posted by Kelly Anderson View Post
          Id say you've been busy documenting all your great ideas!!! lol! I love it. Your drawings are nice! The ooze falling would in deed be cool. I like the water falling "upwards" too!........Or big blobs of ooze falling upwards!!!!

I like it!!!! Its funny how the mind gets thinking of all these ideas.................. and how many different idea you we get before we actually REALLY bring one to life for our haunts???? Tons of ideas!! lol! Thanks for sharing!
          Thanks for the compliment!
          I do have many more to share soon. But I am planning on posting when the forward is written to my first book. Yes, I have written a book of ideas based on my black book of concepts. It should be done soon but I am not pushing the process. There is a lot of ideas in it and it takes a while to take it all in. So, when the forward is done I will post it on the forums along with new ideas.
          Thanks again.
          RIP

~The Imagineer~

Andrew de Ruiter

Comment

Working...
          X