Radio ads - Do they work?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Radio ads - Do they work?

For the past two years Sue from Graystone Haunted Manor and I have been doing local radio ads. Dick does the voicing, I do the editing, and we air then with radio station packages in her area Longview/Tyler/East Texas.

Is it worth it anymore? With the Internet radios like iheartradio, pandora, etc, I find it almost counter productive to spend huge wads of cash on radio ads that won't even really be heard by our target audience anymore, since the twenty-thirty somethings are now more plugged into the Internet than ever, I have a hard time believing that it's worth our money anymore.

I'd almost rather spend that same amount of money on billboards along a major highway...

Sue I'm sure will be watching this post, and I hope someone can give us some insight.

Thanks

Keegan

I know that I was in a class and one of the very well known haunts was talking about they had a issue getting there radio adds in this last year, so they ended up doing none at all. He commented that it did not hurt them at all. Now they are a haunt that is well known in their area but they still saw no drop in attendance.

Phatman
    Phatman

Comment

Phatman,

I'm curious to know what haunt that was? You can pm if you prefer.

Thanks,
      Jake

Comment

I am half a sleep still but I think it was Randy Bates from Bates Hotel. Dont quote me on that there were 4 speekers there, but I think I am right. I am a coach for high school football and none of the kids listen to radio anymore and my son is in college and they dont either. Social media is where it is at right now, and most big haunts are moving away from doing a lot of radio and TV. Last year was a good time to test this, because ad space was very expensive due to the election buying up all the air time and raising the price.

Phatman
        Phatman

Comment

It all depends on demographics

We are in rural USA. I put up a banner with our URL, and got no traffic. Why I wondered? Seems no one in this part of the country can afford Internet connections! But they can afford the $10 for a ticket at the haunt, and another $15 for a t-shirt!

We are going to place a radio ad with the local station that everyone seems to listen to. And we are going to have more banners on teh highway. As well as our online presence (we are on several sponsors pages, the local paper runs an article on us, and we appear in the online version of the local rag). We also have newspaper ads.

If I was in metro USA, I would be all over online media and nothing on radio, but it is so dang cheap here I cant afford no tto ($10 for 60s - yeah you read that right, $10 for 60 seconds).
          Travis "Big T" Russell
          President
          Big T Productions Inc

Owner and Operator of "The Plague" and "Camp Nightmare"

Customer Quote of the year: "Damn, I pissed myself"

Comment

Well in lieu of radio we are considering billboards.... I just don't see it panning out regarding old fashioned radio anymore...

Comment

Billboards

If you are looking at billboards I have a guy that can print a 14' x 48' for about $500 if you get like 6 to 10 of them.

Phatman
              Phatman

Comment

it was brett hays from fear fair that dropped his radio
                Owner of The Fear Experience Haunted House in Cleveland, Ohio, voted the #1 haunted house in Ohio, and #14 in America by Funtober. The Fear Experience Haunted House was called the premier haunted attraction in northeast ohio by cleveland.com and #1 in cleveland by metromix.

Comment

Just weighing in. We did clear channel this past season and I wouldn't say it helped. I'm not a fan of billboards either, as we did that the year before this. Billboards are twofold in my opinion. We did split...standard billboards and the new digital. I'm NOT a fan of digital cause you have to share with some 5 other guys, so you have a smaller percentage of views rather than 100%. Standard billboards don't HURT...but my PERSONAL preference is mehhhhh. In terms of RADIO. I only listen to regular radio when a) don't have my aux in the car or am tired of my mix..b) I'm just gonna be in my car for a minute so radio is quicker...c) listening to morning shows. Other than that I'm streaming radio. GRANTED you can advertise on services like Pandora...but still. I HONESTLY heard our radio ad 2 times last haunt season and I INTENTLY listened. We just got our bill the other week and it had the list of every spot they played. Missed 98% of them. Any marketing is good marketing though, so if you can afford it, do ettttt.
                  O'Shawn McClendon
                  Creative Chair -- Operator: Cayce-West Columbia Hall of Horrors

One mans junk is another mans kick-ass new prop...

http://www.hallofhorrors.com

http://twitter.com/hallofhorrors

http://cwchallofhorrors.blogspot.com

http://www.youtube.com/hallofhorrors

http://www.myspace.com/cwcjc_hallofhorrors

Comment

Thanks It was Bret, Those late nights turn your brain to mush. Glad someone else could think of it. Billboards work if you don't have to pay to much for add space, but here in Detroit they are costly. I do like the small local paper because if you drop some advertising on them the will give you a write up in most cases.

Phatman
                    Phatman

Comment

and now I'm going to provide a totally contrary opinion to everyone else lol The past two years, the haunt I am affiliated with has been doing radio ads the past two years, and its actually been our most successful form of advertising. Couple the ads with an on-location broadcast and a few sets of free tickets, and it's actually been rather cost effective in our circumstance!

Comment

we did a billboard last year we had around 3,000 people go through are haunt which is good for a first year haunt out of the 3,000 people 3 told us they scene the billboard which is on a state route rd and also 10 min from us everyone had to pass it to get to us im spending my money on post cards we had 3,000 people come from that and facebook. Most places dont like a flyer because its to big but the post card vista print has are perfect size for counter at bars and gas stations so on and so on

Comment

Originally posted by dreadland View Post
                          we did a billboard last year we had around 3,000 people go through are haunt which is good for a first year haunt out of the 3,000 people 3 told us they scene the billboard which is on a state route rd and also 10 min from us everyone had to pass it to get to us im spending my money on post cards we had 3,000 people come from that and facebook. Most places dont like a flyer because its to big but the post card vista print has are perfect size for counter at bars and gas stations so on and so on
                          Thats actually a pretty good idea, whats Vista Print charge you?

Comment

Ravens Grin Had a Bill board

and I quickly became bored getting the bill for it! was $275 a month on a contract for a whole year too much to pay? Ravens Grin is open every night of the year so I thought it would really pay it's way, but any extra business possibly generated via the "board" all seemed to about equal that $275 each month, and it seemed to give us nothing extra in October, which I assumed it would have being out there all year long to place us into their conscious and unconscious minds.
                            Two years ago we were on the front page and inside of The Chicago Tribune!... we couldn't tell if anybody ever saw it or read the article, but then I had to drive 30 miles (one-way) to find a single copy of a Trib. so newspapers are dead too.
                            Advertising has changed drastically over the last 26 years since I got this house, and has changed once again with all of the now common electronic "Toys" that almost everyone seems to now have.
                            Need good business? It's simple, really , just put on a really good, interesting Show!
                            Put your once beating rancid heart into it! Impress people and they will become patrons of your "art".
                            The gabfest sparked by inovation stimulates many minds to the point of bursting and gabbing without compunction to any and all who may listen. Testimonials are unbeatable advertising and usually can't be bought. I think most people can "read" this fact and do become trully impressed by a customers enthusiasm.
                            hauntedravensgrin.com

Comment

[QUOTE=Damien Warwick;148453]Thats actually a pretty good idea, whats Vista Print charge you?[/QUOT E]

1,500 was a hundred dollars if you buy more its cheaper

Comment

Working...
                              X