TransWorld Shoot Me Straight

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sorry Phatman...

Unlike Wed. night we did not have to see them add ribs to the SOLD OUT board just before we ordered. Had ribs, pulled pork and brisket. I think Pappy's was my real "wow" of the show. Went there 3 times. Yeah, twice without you. Went back just before I headed home Thursday afternoon on my first St. Louis run.

Wicked Farmer

Comment

I thought this years show was 100 times better than last year from the standpoint of variety. We saw the same transformation with IAAPA from large vendors to small vendors who have unique items. We saw a lot of mask companies...that is a great thing. We saw a lot of detailed booths... awesome. We saw several costume companies ... couldn't be happier! We also saw some food vendors for the first time so I would say finally we are moving closer to IAAPA. Plus we had several retail type companies, zip lines, inflatables and more. I loved it!

The things that left me feeling totally underwhelmed...

1) Interactive Haunt: If you ask me it was one of the worst things at the show! i was looking at it going what is the point to this??? It totally made no sense and wasn't even 1/10th as detailed as the 90% of the booths and the products where not well placed, showcased or whatever. It was just pointless. I'm not in any way trying to take away from all the people who worked hard to set it up I guess my overall feelings are we don't need this product. There should be a replacement concept like a haunter build off, building sets live, maybe a big showcase in the middle of the show floor where vendors can buy demo time or something rather than on wings of the show... do something right in the middle something truly interactive because the interactive haunt was anything but...

2) Animations: Totally not the year for animations and they bring a lot of excitement to the show in the past... maybe we've run out of ideas here. Maybe its time for something new and different I think animations should be limited and those same vendors should focus on props, or other concepts.

But overall I think the show offered more bang this year because of the little stuff while at the same time might leave you with the impression it wasn't exciting. I get it.

Larry
      Larry Kirchner
      President
      www.HalloweenProductions.com
      www.BlacklightAttractions.com
      www.HauntedHouseSupplies.com
      www.HauntedHouseMagazine.com

Comment

Its a BUYERS / VENDORS SHOW...So far, from what I hear....not good

If no one buys or sells .......its a failure. My 2 cents.

Stew

Comment

But overall I think the show offered more bang this year because of the little stuff while at the same time might leave you with the impression it wasn't exciting. I get it.

Larry[/QUOTE]

BINGO Larry! And as far if no one buys or sells (Stew)... I bought my normal amount. Threw some at newer vendors who had little things I liked. Big animations years ago helped put me on the map...like Slayer on the Pediment of Scarefactory. It got the news cameras (doubt it would today in my area). Paid more attention last few years to enhancing actors with things that go POW, cast of sparks while clanging knives together, or made loud nosie. Got the whole spectrum now from great eye candy to surprising props and actor enhancers. But the excitement of seeing new stuff, like that of Christmas morning after Santa came of many years ago....just wasn't there for me this year.

Wicked farmer
          Last edited by wickedfarmer; 03-11-2013, 04:07 PM.

Comment

Next year for us

I've been doing trade shows for decades in another industry. When you do a show every year, pretty soon it starts looking like last year, with maybe a few new items being showed off. We didnt go to TW this year for two reasons;

1. Ticket sales for us were not great, and I want to use the money that I would have spent traveling to TW on new stuff for the haunt.
            2. Even last year I started seeing a lot I saw the previous year, and I think every other year is probably a good thing (unless we are just so flush with cash we need a road trip)

I am hoping to see the stuff vendors brought to the show via the web and their sites, and I will be making purchases that way, but my purchases this year will be very selective, and the vendors even more so (after going through some bad experiences last year).

With all that said, someone post some pictures would ya!!
            Travis "Big T" Russell
            President
            Big T Productions Inc

Owner and Operator of "The Plague" and "Camp Nightmare"

Customer Quote of the year: "Damn, I pissed myself"

Comment

I have to agree with you Larry, I thought the interactive haunted house was terrible. Last year's house was 10x better! I did have a lot of fun! We ended up buying a couple things to add to our attraction this year.
              ~Bill Mlinac
              The Deadland Haunted House
              www.facebook.com/Deadlandhauntedhouse
              www.Thedeadland.comsigpic

Comment

I want to add something, I thought the $1,000 minimum purchase from "some" vendors is stupid. They lost our business because of that. Just saying
                ~Bill Mlinac
                The Deadland Haunted House
                www.facebook.com/Deadlandhauntedhouse
                www.Thedeadland.comsigpic

Comment

I think the reason this years TW looks like last year, and all the other years is because when a vendor comes out with a great product 4 or 5 other vendors try copying it, and display it the following year.....

Masks - Everyone sees CFX and others getting 2000 for thier masks, thats why I believe there are all these mask vendors this year.

Animatronics, Everyone wants the next level........ and the technology is out there, BUT who is going to pay 50,000 for 1 creature.

NOT THIS INDUSTRY...
                  If you want better you must pay for it......
                  stew
                  Last edited by Darksidestew; 03-11-2013, 05:02 PM.

Comment

$1,000 dollar minimum ? in this economy ?

this show is DOOMED !!!!!! no one has any money and these guys are making you spend at least a grand. gimmie a break. Thank you for hurting ALL OF US !!!!!

Comment

I'll be at NATIONAL HAUNTERS this spring and HOUSTON next year.

both those show ROCK !!!!!!! and everyone who is ANYONE is there.

Comment

Originally posted by john haines View Post
                        both those show ROCK !!!!!!! and everyone who is ANYONE is there.
                        John you are way off NO ONE goes to either show! Houston was beyond dead and national looks more like a craft store or church bazaar than a real convention. A few big guys go but it's probably 95% enthusiast and small time of home Haunter. Most Haunters are building then.

DA

Comment

Heyyyyyyyyyyyy

I bought one of the doughnut machines! Shane and it's one of the few things I did buy. But I have so much I need to start using what I have. Shane and it's maybe its my age now!
                          sigpic

Comment

Dammit Shane I hope it wasn't the last one, did you get the little orbits? I loved it i would have bought one but i am fat enough, I did hear more talk about that than most props. I think this year was a show for the guy at the average haunt not the guy looking to spend $50,000 to $100,000. There was more stuff for the average Joe that only had a few thousand and wanted to make impactful purchase for his haunt. By up grading your props for your actors you can really stretch dollar, and who knows you have better attendance next year and you can go buy the big stuff then. It's not like it won't still be there next year when you hopefully can afford them.

DA I have to agree with you about national.

Phatman
                            Phatman

Comment

I was pretty happy with the show. I think Gore Galore and Poison props knocked it out of the park. Stiltbeast studios did pretty well and sold out of masks by saturday 90% being gone on Thursday. I mostly hung in my booth the whole time and we had a steady flow.
                              Im going to agree with DarkAngel in saying that National Haunters convention is tiny. It is like a Haunt craft fair as opposed to a show. Im not saying dont go, but saying it is a better show to buy things for your haunt is silly. Houston also has very little for haunts, great for a halloween store but not good for haunts.
                              Allen H
                              www.Stiltbeaststudios.com
                              http://www.youtube.com/user/Stiltbea...s?feature=mhee

Comment

Didn't go..

We decided not to go this year for the first time in a while because of exactly the reasons already mentioned......we were 30% down on ticket sales which means 30% down on money, and the first thing to get the budget cut is props.....you cant cut your marketing, you cant cut your staff, and you cant cut your insurance, utilities, etc. so the only thing to cut is props.....and if I don't have the money to buy things, there is no point in making the trip up just to look. I know of a few haunts in my area that stayed at home as well for the same reasons.

Comment

Working...
                                X