No announcement yet.

TransWorld Shoot Me Straight

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Couple more things... I'll admit if the show wasn't here I wouldn't go every year either but I will say clearly TW is the best show out there bar none. I don't even know why we bring up these other shows they are not even close to being in the same category. All these shows can claim whatever they want but they are NOT EVEN IN THE SAME LEAGUE! TW however seems to be moving more and more into the fun category more like MHC and I think that is a mistake honestly. MHC is the tour and the haunt party show, while TW should stick strictly to being the show for professionals no matter who actually attends.

On another note ... TW should keep the focus on having the best speakers, best topics, best events for professionals all the other stuff leave to other shows.

Two the interactive haunt has gotten so bad it should be eliminated.

I don't think at all that the show was bad, but I will say this like I've said in the past...SOME VENDORS NEED TO STOP thinking they know what buyers want. Vendors should take road trips in October and see as many haunts as they can and talk to as many haunters as they can read these forums, ask for help, ask for idea's, hire focus groups, whatever and maybe TW can help here. This would help keep the industry going in the right directions.

Four... I have NO IDEA what vendor had a 1000 order who did that? This I need to know!!!

So please spill the beans on that one!

Larry
    Larry Kirchner
    President
    www.HalloweenProductions.com
    www.BlacklightAttractions.com
    www.HauntedHouseSupplies.com
    www.HauntedHouseMagazine.com

Comment

Transworld 2013.

For me , I really enjoyed the show! As a 4th year guy it offered numerous things for me.

I brought some of my key staff so they could see "The big picture". That will pay off on Nov.1st with my staff seeing my vision and understanding what we are striving to achieve. I am empowering them to fill their responsibilities and I believe they are "getting it" by the advice and pointers all of you shared with them. Thanks much!

I understand what everyone means by nothing that totally blew you away. But look at all he things the vendors have brought to the industry in the last few years. CGI fx, animatronic puppets, silicone masks, and the list goes on. I would say that the vendors have a tough time "Wowing" us after the last couple years. On the flip side, I see progress in the industry with customer service and more variety. Someone mentioned smaller items. Yeah! A lot off them. It was great. For me I am now no longer a "haunt rookie". So I am able to look at everything and still keep my head on straight. I can totally appreciate all the work, talent, and creativity in all products without losing sight of what will work or not in my show.

My sales were way down last year. Whose fault was it? Mine. I come to this show to enjoy all the creativity of the industry. I treat my show like a business. And part of my business is this show. I focused HARD on what is going to increase revenue to my haunt. One item I bought was Decimated Designs muscle suit. I think I bought that thing within the first hour of the show on Thursday. What for? Well, I will put an actor in it but....I will drop money out of my traditional advertising budget to pay for that thing. Now we will put a ripped up straight jacket on that thing with "Property of Fear Asylum " on it and put it on the parade , fair route in about a month. Killing two birds one stone thing. It is interesting and will fulfill 2 roles. That thing will turn heads.

I was disappointed with the interactive haunt also compared to last year. I don't honk they should get rid of it but last year was way better. I know a bunch of people worked hard on it but, not near the caliber that this show can produce. I think a scene build on the floor going on all week would be great. Watch it come alive.

What did I buy?
      1. 2nd haunt. 2000-3000sqft 3D haunt from Stuartizm Design. This will increase ticket value but I am going to put it in a different location then my main haunt so I will have 2 locations promoting my business.
      2. Computer show controls. This was a huge purchase that was not even in my radar this year. But, my show lacked in the FX market last year and this system will make my show a heart stopper for the next numerous years. This may not be for everyone but, it was a smart investment as far as I was concerned.
      3. Guppy Pod marketing . I almost bought the PIC marketing last year. I believe this is easier, better value, and will increase my revenue within the next few years.
      4. I could not pass up on the animatronic mannequins. Creepy as hell. Couldn't pass on those.
      5. European body airbrush setup.
      6. Stilt east studios masks, Halloween Productions "iron mask", a few others.
      7. Etc. lots of random stuff. Oh yeah...that LED geyser fx from froggys fog. Love it! Thanks Tater!

Loved the show! had a blast! Really enjoyed making more haunt friends and catching up with some old ones.
      BUT... I'm pissed. I never tried the donuts. I thought you had to buy them. Oh we'll. see ya next year.

Buck
      Capt.Chaos
      Fear Asylum Haunted House
      Brookings,SD

fear-asylum.com

Comment

Okay since the direction changed so I'll post my thoughts on what was cool...

Coolest thing I saw... nothing not one thing! There just wasn't a coolest thing there. What did I buy?

Scarefactory: Two of those inflatables because I'm going to put one on my roof and at my other haunt out near the highway. Those should drive more business.

I bought a couple masks from the show floor because I got a great price and other than that NOTHING!

The company I thought had the most stuff I would buy if I was buying anything... GHOST RIDE they had a lot of cool gory stuff.

I would love to have that giant plant monsters from Gore Galore but it was pricy. I liked the mannequins clearly that was inspired by Silent Hill 2 but it was cool just didn't know what I'd do with them. I thought those guys had very affordable prices. I like Dark Ravens stuff however it seemed like mostly the same stuff as before maybe just bigger.

So overall I bought nothing really... I did however make a huge order with Unit 70 again for Creepyworld. I still didn't see companies just come with nothing but props monsters, standing figures so I just keep going back to Unit 70. I'd like to see the animation companies just stop for a year or two and making monsters, and props.

Overall I was most interested in the small stuff.

I talked to many vendors who said they didn't do well... but I'm with all the haunt owners in that I had a bad year as well. But let me say this to ALL THE VENDORS... ALL HAUNTERS will break loose with the money come June or July TRUST ME because they can't help themselves.

Just keep the faith because the biggest buying season is June on anyway and this year it might be the biggest one yet... so fear not!

Larry
        Larry Kirchner
        President

Comment

Originally posted by drfrightner View Post
          Okay since the direction changed so I'll post my thoughts on what was cool...

Coolest thing I saw... nothing not one thing! There just wasn't a coolest thing there.
          Larry

Larry, Should I remind you that your company was there VENDING...and you didnt see one cool thing at Transworld....Interesting!

Buck, anytime buddy, As I told you I loved it so much I bought one too and I dont own a haunt hahaha
          Last edited by Tater; 03-12-2013, 12:13 AM.
          Jesus loves you, but everyone else thinks you're an asshole.

Comment

Hey I think it goes without saying that every vendor who brings product there thinks what they brought is awesome otherwise they wouldn't bring it... so yeah I liked what we brought but I'm not going to say it was better than anyone else so I don't say anything about it. That is up to the buyers to decide. I am going on the record here to say we had a great show we sold a lot of stuff so I'm not going to complain there. We are happy and thank everyone.

I didn't like anything there the best... I liked a lot of different things but just nothing stood out as WOW!

Larry
            Larry Kirchner
            President

Comment

Tater,

I missed your booth this year can you send me info on the LED geyser lights? allan@bennettscurse.com.
              Thanks,
              Allan

Comment

Transworld has definitely changed from an all business show to now being a show packed with activities and nighttime events. While most are there for business there are those now coming to party and hang out much like you'd see at MHC where business isn't always the main focus for attending. I think Transworld above all else should always focus on business and the pro Haunter first, and the other shows are great options for home Haunters, enthusiasts, actors, and people looking to hang out and party etc.

I enjoyed the show this year though. I did notice that many vendors booth looked the exact same and with the same products as before. I was also surprised that Scarefactory had the inflatable this year. It looked cool but that seems like something that would've been done 10 years ago at the height of the inflatables boom but they did a nice job with painting it. All in all the vendors and Transworld did a great job.

Allan

Comment

Originally posted by drfrightner View Post
                  Four... I have NO IDEA what vendor had a 1000 order who did that? This I need to know!!!

So please spill the beans on that one!

Larry
                  Reimagine your booth in your mind and then look to the right towards the entrance of the show.

$1000 minimum order wouldn't be bad if you had $1000 worth of new interesting stuff and not all the same stuff you have been selling for years.

Kudos to Gore Galore, nice stuff. I like the smaller props, keep it up.

Scarefactory had a nice hallway of doom that clocked me in the head pretty good, really nice if I wanted to actually kill people that came through my haunt, thanks for the headache.

Larry, I will admit your air blaster/ water blaster stuff was pretty vicious. Just stop blowing people off and start answering their questions, lol.
                  Last edited by mindtumor; 03-12-2013, 07:14 AM.
                  Jared Layman

Comment

Well.....

I love our vendors some really, really great guys and I hope they made a ton. I feel bad when I don't buy but again I got stuff I am not using now! I just felt maybe everyone was a little bummed from this past season? Just like I say just felt someting missing before, durning and after hours of the show. I think I missed alot of folks too. Oh and Larry you left that g string and wig in my room I left it at the front desk to pick up! Shane and it's oh and I lost my damn checkbook too!!!!
                    sigpic

Comment

I will say this the parties are after hours and those who came to party I don't think got out to the show floor much. I know I got a lot of stuff handled in the bar and lobby area, this was the only place where you could get a one on one with a vendor and not have people hovering waiting for their turn. I will say that I wait till Sunday to buy because I don't do much cash and carry, and I found that the vendors gave me better deals this year. I was getting 10% to 15% of show prices from guys, I don't know if that was because the sales were slow or that they knew there are not much sales to be had on Sunday. Larry were your sales per hour better early or did you do good on Sunday? I like Sunday because the show floor is slower and I give my self the chance to think over what I really want to buy. I make a dream list and work back from there Friday and Sat. I am a impulse buyer so I need help and time to keep me from buying donut machine. Like I really needed that thing hanging around.

Phatman
                      Phatman

Comment

Transworld

Vendors.. Meet some great new ones and chumbed up with some old ones.. Bought hardly nothing.. Half of last years order dollars wise .. Im with Larry that Unit 70 will get some $$$$ from us...
                        I think the show is really very slow and lame.. No offense to anyone but it is a very boring show. I walked the floor a couple of times per day and except for a few vendors I saw very few folks buying the goods.. lots of folks buying up the floor samples on Sunday.. That is real neat to be able to do if you can haul it..
                        I do have some advice for all those that sale cash and carry at the show including Jen at Transworld..
                        The IRS will be knocking on your door/booth one of these days.. St. Louis will figure it out and go back X number of years and burn each and and every vendor doing such.. Mark my word it will happen I've seen it first hand. You talk about headaches.. I dont think Transworld or the vendors are prepared for that kind of real TERROR....

Comment

We admittedly came in with a lower buy budget this year so it was a little less exciting for us. However, we unexpectedly loved VFX Creative Studios Attack Zombies. Loved those things, finally decided to drop some unplanned quid on one only to discover they were sold out of the year. Congrats to them though, apparently THEY were even surprised! Sometimes the most simple innovative props are the most exciting and coveted.

I would like to mention something though that kind of honks us (and I hope it isn't 'off topic') Seminars. A hefty portion of the reason we come to TW is to hear from the heavyweights in the biz and glean some real insider knowledge and techniques. Not to be that negative guy but for the last two years, we are about 50/50 on the seminars being either GREAT, or a complete waste of time and money. Again, we're not negative people, but after a couple of the seminars we were privately wondering if we could get out money back. But we're nice fellows so we kept our traps shut. I just wonder if a better job couldn't be done vetting the speakers to ensure that they have a solid outline and are also effective communicators. Even the most talented of folks can turn a seminar into a real snoozefest (not to mention money-drainer) if they aren't able to effectively communicate their expertise.

I'm just sayin. The ones that were great, were fantastic and we couldn't write fast enough to keep up. But a couple... yikes...
                          Michael Inks
                          Geist Entertainment, Inc.
                          Visit GEI on Facebook

sigpic

"If you can dream it, you can do it." - Walt Disney

Comment

So some vendors don't panic...

Don't want vendors to read too much into the "no wow" this year as "their stuff sucked and don't want it". My business model involves buying $1000- $3000 props that are what I call of two different classes of props. The "hidden prop" that deploys fast, or does the "unexpected". Hidden props I purchased were from Adam of Poison. Dropping clown flailer...$1100 - no one sees it coming...then it is there in their face attacking from above. The torso drop reacher same thing ..will come from hidden place from above. Not "WOW!!" but effective. Told him his stuff fits my needs and he told me it is harder and harder to make animations in that range with several movements. I then trade these off in trading circles to keep my place fresh. Same prop or set up year after year and the customers get bored. I keep adding new inventory AND trading. I keep getting bigger and never the same show twice. I talk a LOT with customers exiting the haunted trail. They tell me which haunts in the area have the exact same layout as the last 3 years. That is why they now go to my place...I'm always changing. Distortions props where actor hides in plain sight almost and does a great unexpected move is part of my arsenal with currently 2 of their "shock" line rotating among fellow frind haunters places.

So...I get a feeling the general consensus is "30% down from 2011". Im guessing it is just that people went to two haunts last year instead of 3. I WILL NOT reign in my show upgrades this year based on last years numbers across the industry. NO WAY IN HELL!!! I'm doublin down and going for broke before I go conservative this fall. My guess is people will be doing MORE looking seeing who is offering the same old show as last year. And if you go with the same as 2012....your 2014 attendance will be a disaster. No my approach is not the blueprint for everyone. Also understand I routinely drop a few hundred thousand dollars to put a crop in the ground and wait for it to rain the right amount. My tolerance for risk has been hammered into my soul for decades...I can live with that, some can't.

So Larry; your prediction that buyers will be out in June & July sounds correct to me; IF people want to have anybody to show up at their door in 2014.

Comment

I glad someone else brought up the Scarefactory DEATH HALL. Most dangerous thing i've seen in awhile being sold out there. It blinded me then hit me in the elbow with a wood door and at the end in the knee with a wood cabinet. REALLY !!!! Stupid design

Robert

Comment

I'll 3rd the hallway

usually you will see me chiming in defending Scarefactory whne the 'gang piling" gets rediculous. I'll state that I am outdoors and have had no problems with breakage. Even told dave that this year at the show. But yeah...that hallway....absolutely ASSININE!

I stand corrected. I forgot about the hallway. I did go "WOW!" this year...but in a bad way. Walked through it after I made this years purchase from them.

But since the hallway safety came up I'll add that one spray/mister at Darkness hit the girl in front of me directly in the eye. She was very uncomfortable for long time.

Wicked Farmer
                                Last edited by wickedfarmer; 03-12-2013, 10:32 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X