No announcement yet.

TransWorld Shoot Me Straight

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Larry, Did you happen to see the stuff going out of there on Sunday. It looked like a free for all. I know of one mask vendor that sold a couple of hundred mask cash and carry on the first day of the show. 300 to 400 masks at 25 bucks each is about $10,000 for one booth. Thats is a bunch of cash. Just something the board and transworld need to look at. At least the people selling the stuff needs to inform the buyer.
    When weve bought stuff there and had it shipped... (In Alabama) It is called a user tax. You get hit with anything not bought in the state that you havnt paid tax on.. Go ask a good accountant.

Comment

So did you see haunts bringing their whole actor crew again this year? That always confuses me they come wearing the same clothes and every single one takes catalogs but most have no input on your show other than to show up and try to scare guests on nights open. That's why I say Transworld nights as well make it a general public show since they'll basically let anyone in at this point, hell I went for years lol

DA
      Last edited by Darkangel; 03-15-2013, 08:34 AM.

Comment

What was the Price is Fright? I didn't see that advertised while I was there.

I disagree about removing the interactive haunted house, I would, however, not put actors in it again unless they are just standing around in a vendor costume or something. I think it looked better last year and it was pretty weak this year but I wouldn't remove it entirely. It isn't a bad showcase of stuff vendor's are selling. I would only remove it if the vendors just didn't feel like doing it anymore due to time constraints. Otherwise, I don't see the point in removing it.
        Jared Layman

Comment

Sorry I have to explain this for the 1000th time... why don't I make money on these haunt tours let me count the ways! LOL. Because of my compulsive ways I believe that if I'm to do a haunt tour for this show it must be for a good reason. The good reason is to do something really incredible something whereby the people who attend learn something about building a haunted house or operating one. This has been a learning experience for me more so or as much as it has for anyone who has attended. In all the years prior to doing this show I always went all out on the Darkness but to the tune of my 50% or less the money invested, and or 50% or less on the time spent doing it, and lastly never have I spent that kind of money from the day we close to March.

After the tour is over we have to wait between 6 to 7 months to re-open to get some if not all of that investment back... the very first year we did this it actually almost bankrupted me. Seriously. I've been told multiple times to just open the way it was the previous year and charge 20 bucks, but my thinking is no way... that is no fun, that is not exciting, and why would haunters want to do that? I will have new idea's, no concepts, and something worth seeing or I won't do it at all. As long as the people who come to the tour tell me to keep doing it we will or when I run out of money, which will probably happen, LOL, or I run out of idea's. All possibilities!

I never got in the haunt business to make money, I did it because it was very enjoyable for me, and I've been accused by partners that I spend to much money, and don't focus enough on making money. This is actually true and the pressure I feel because its the haunt industry drives the needle to a point where you just can't make money but as long as I can make it to Halloween season I'll live. I really do enjoy doing this for the haunt industry this year more than any other.

Hauntworld is actually another example of something that doesn't make money for me... all the way up to this year I spent it all on new graphics, new features, cool things, I mean lets face it there isn't a lot of things this site can't do but it cost a ton of money. On Hauntworld I've finally just about run out of idea's so I haven't spent a lot in the last 12 months but I'm always wondering if there is something I haven't thought of yet. LOL The magazine is another I print it on the best paper, I hire Brainstorm, it doesn't sell enough advertisement but I keep printing it because people in the haunt industry enjoy it.

Larry
          Larry Kirchner
          President
          www.HalloweenProductions.com
          www.BlacklightAttractions.com
          www.HauntedHouseSupplies.com
          www.HauntedHouseMagazine.com

Comment

I liked the idea that you make it a demo for how to build a haunt. You have these guys that are haunt designers and you let them each design a room and build it during the show. I think Larry may have suggested that you make like a reality TV show where vendors battle to be the winner and maybe give the title of builder of the year to the winner. I work with Autorama every year and guys build cars just to win the title of the Riddler. Chip Foose spends six figures or more every time he puts a car in for the show. I know that a lot of people think that it is nice to have the auction for the haunt but that limits how much money you can spend on the rooms and make them really nice. Lets face it nobody will put $10,000 in a room that sells for under $2000. I just think it would be nice to see the best stuff money can buy, that is why people go to the Darkness, to see what is possible with a uncompromising budget. From what I have been told Larry spends more a year than most of us have for a build budget for 5 years, I don't remember seeing one black plywood hallway in the whole haunt. If that sounds like I am jelous then you are right wish I could do the same, doesn't everyone. I want ideas and the interactive haunt did not do it for me this year.

Phatman
            Phatman

Comment

Originally posted by drfrightner View Post

Hauntworld is actually another example of something that doesn't make money for me... all the way up to this year I spent it all on new graphics, new features, cool things, I mean lets face it there isn't a lot of things this site can't do but it cost a ton of money. On Hauntworld I've finally just about run out of idea's so I haven't spent a lot in the last 12 months but I'm always wondering if there is something I haven't thought of yet. LOL The magazine is another I print it on the best paper, I hire Brainstorm, it doesn't sell enough advertisement but I keep printing it because people in the haunt industry enjoy it.

Larry
              I've got an idea for Hauntworld and I think it might make money.
              Jared Layman

Comment

Look at your family tree Larry.

I swear you must have farmer blood in those veins somewhere. Spending all that money and skating through till "harvest/haunt" season. At least I have made decent money the last few years farming. Of course last year was thanks to Adam (Poison) who sent me rain.

Wicked Farmer

Comment

Larry I know I asked this before but not sure you gave a answer. How much more work do you do to the Darkness from now to you open? Or do you focus on your other haunts?

Phatman
                  Phatman

Comment

Good question...

After the show was over we continued the repairs on the Scarefactory T-Rex. I must have spent 5 or 6 thousand dollars on this thing now and finally it works like new. We totally rebuilt it, resigned it you name it. We tried to get it working for the tradeshow but couldn't so we worked on that. We will work on the darkness VERY VERY LITTLE if that answers your question.

I'll be honest I go to the show I see stuff and sometimes I'm like man I'd like to buy that and build a scene around it but can't... we are dead BROKE!

I have just enough money to get Creepyworld open and that is it! I will borrow money to open from a LOC.

So I guess my point is as to the Darkness tour, yes it makes dollars, and it helps to pay for everything to put on the event but in the end we sit around for 6-7 months waiting to get all the money back. Its okay it was fun. I live life for today not tomorrow its a flaw yes but that is how I live.

We will start on Creepyworld Monday.

I'll upload photos!

Larry
                    Larry Kirchner
                    President

Comment

• Shane,

Just FYI... your party is the day the show starts like a kick off. You kind of started that and its doing great. I think the main point myself and others are making is there are too many parties, to many events that seem out of place to a buyers show. The show should be first and foremost a buyers show not an enthusiast show. I think its getting out of hand all the things you can do which maybe should be refocused on buying products from vendors or education.

I think overall from what I've been told the education wasn't strong this year and the attendance reflected that... these seminars didn't have the attendance that we've seen in the past. Maybe because there is to many FUN things people are spending their money on maybe... or simply its because attention is spread in 50 directions or maybe the speakers suck. I don't know.

Also again on this interactive haunt I thought it was simply not good... there is nothing educational about it, and honestly I personally do not feel it helps a vendor sell anything. I think moving that thing in the middle of the show floor making it smaller, better, would serve that cause better. Or simply as suggested do a haunter build off, or some sort of demos there with a stage showing how vendors use their products.

I'd much rather see that than some half-hearted attempt at a haunted house. I agree with who ever said it don't do actors again that probably made it worse! I simply think its time for an overall change of direction here just simply do something new and fresh!

Larry
                      Larry Kirchner
                      President

Comment

• costumes from booth

Hello tried to buy several costumes from your booth . But staff said could not sell till close of show sunday
                        We were leaving early sunday morning .especially want the orange jumpsuit
                        60.00 bucks is what show price was i belive .please let us know how we can get these
                        As dont see them listed on the web page thanks and had a great time in st louis will be back again next year .

Comment

• Great I loved the time line photos of the darkness, then you go on the tour and see it in perspective. I don't know about any body else but I like to see the process of construction and then the finished product.

Phatman
                          Phatman

Comment

• An onsite build off would be cool but would you just end up having a long line sitting there all day staring at the build off? That sounds congested. Maybe it could be done in the off hours, or the day before. I honestly wouldn't give up on the interactive haunted house yet, but I would tweak it. It was pretty bad this year, but I liked it the last couple years. I don't understand if you are saying its a waste of time for vendors or the buyers walking through it?

Instead of making the interactive haunted house a build off, you might just make another stage or something and do set build demos kind of like the make up demos. You could even do just like 1 or 2 sets and have several people work on it at different scheduled times. Then give that schedule to people so they could see the people they want to see working on the sets.
                            Jared Layman

Comment

• First off I want to thank everyone who has posted comments (both positive and negative) about the Interactive Haunt, I appreciate constructive criticism as it helps me grow as an artist, an individual, and business person.

I wanted to take a moment to explain how the IHH works.

A few years ago TransWorld approached me with the idea of building the “Interactive Haunted House” on the show floor. Knowing full well what our time constraints were and the challenge of coordinating all of the participating vendor products into the themes we chose, I met with our team and they were all up for the challenge. The first year proved to be the most difficult as it was our first attempt at it, building wall panels at a local vendors shop in St. Louis (thank you by the way), dealing with local building and fire inspectors, explaining the first time idea to vendors, and detailing, decorating, running sound and lighting all on the show floor while trying to meet the tight deadlines we had.

We also found out how quickly scenes can change (and suffer) when vendors show up without the promised items for the scenes.

TransWorld owns the IHH, we are given a small budget to build it for them. The idea is to auction it off each year in hopes of making the budget back to be used for the next year. We quickly found out the first year that by building a “micro-haunt” we would be effectively unable to make the money back so year two we decided to approach it with separated scenes like we did this year (our 3rd year)

We now build the wall panels for the scenes at our shop in Massachusetts however, ALL of the scenes are painted and detailed right on the show floor in St. Louis each year as well as all the wiring for sound, lighting and air.

We usually design the scenes to be square to aid in the ease of set up because of our tight time restrictions (Approx. 36 hours to set up)
                              We had 65 participating vendors this past year (imagine the amount of phone calls it takes to coordinate all of this) the goal of the IHH is to give examples of how the vendor products can be used in different themed environments. I know for a fact the IHH has led to major increases in sales for several vendors and that’s the #1 reason TW offers it each year, to give their vendors more visibility and another avenue to help increase sales.

My team and I do not get paid to design and build the IHH, we do it because of the passion for this industry and wanting to give back to the vendors who work so hard to help all of us. For me, it gives me a chance to teach my team how to stay focused, organized and meet deadlines so it’s a win win there.

We will continue to build the IHH as long as TW continues to ask us to do so and I will continue to learn from the input everyone gives here and via email.

I have posted a few pictures at the following link:
                              http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?s...7154929&type=1

Thanks again and I wish you all a safe and successful season!

Mike “Tattoo” Krausert

P.S. I love the idea of a scene build off as well!
                              Mike "Tattoo" Krausert

Senior Project Manager

Thirteenth Floor Entertainment Group

www.thirteenthfloor.com

President - Bad Boys Scenic Design

Comment

• I would also like to say that seeing some of the props displayed that way helps you actually find them on the show floor a little easier. I don't know why but walking the show floor the last 2 years, I have missed several cool things in vendor booths. Seeing them in the interactive haunted house with a name attached actually helps. I think getting rid of the interactive haunted house is a bad idea.

Also, once again, what was the Price is Fright everyone is talking about? I didn't see it at the or advertised, what exactly was it?
                                Last edited by mindtumor; 03-15-2013, 02:03 PM.
                                Jared Layman

Comment

Working...
                                X