For me , I really enjoyed the show! As a 4th year guy it offered numerous things for me.
I brought some of my key staff so they could see "The big picture". That will pay off on Nov.1st with my staff seeing my vision and understanding what we are striving to achieve. I am empowering them to fill their responsibilities and I believe they are "getting it" by the advice and pointers all of you shared with them. Thanks much!
I understand what everyone means by nothing that totally blew you away. But look at all he things the vendors have brought to the industry in the last few years. CGI fx, animatronic puppets, silicone masks, and the list goes on. I would say that the vendors have a tough time "Wowing" us after the last couple years. On the flip side, I see progress in the industry with customer service and more variety. Someone mentioned smaller items. Yeah! A lot off them. It was great. For me I am now no longer a "haunt rookie". So I am able to look at everything and still keep my head on straight. I can totally appreciate all the work, talent, and creativity in all products without losing sight of what will work or not in my show.
My sales were way down last year. Whose fault was it? Mine. I come to this show to enjoy all the creativity of the industry. I treat my show like a business. And part of my business is this show. I focused HARD on what is going to increase revenue to my haunt. One item I bought was Decimated Designs muscle suit. I think I bought that thing within the first hour of the show on Thursday. What for? Well, I will put an actor in it but....I will drop money out of my traditional advertising budget to pay for that thing. Now we will put a ripped up straight jacket on that thing with "Property of Fear Asylum " on it and put it on the parade , fair route in about a month. Killing two birds one stone thing. It is interesting and will fulfill 2 roles. That thing will turn heads.
I was disappointed with the interactive haunt also compared to last year. I don't honk they should get rid of it but last year was way better. I know a bunch of people worked hard on it but, not near the caliber that this show can produce. I think a scene build on the floor going on all week would be great. Watch it come alive.
What did I buy?
1. 2nd haunt. 2000-3000sqft 3D haunt from Stuartizm Design. This will increase ticket value but I am going to put it in a different location then my main haunt so I will have 2 locations promoting my business.
2. Computer show controls. This was a huge purchase that was not even in my radar this year. But, my show lacked in the FX market last year and this system will make my show a heart stopper for the next numerous years. This may not be for everyone but, it was a smart investment as far as I was concerned.
3. Guppy Pod marketing . I almost bought the PIC marketing last year. I believe this is easier, better value, and will increase my revenue within the next few years.
4. I could not pass up on the animatronic mannequins. Creepy as hell. Couldn't pass on those.
5. European body airbrush setup.
6. Stilt east studios masks, Halloween Productions "iron mask", a few others.
7. Etc. lots of random stuff. Oh yeah...that LED geyser fx from froggys fog. Love it! Thanks Tater!
Loved the show! had a blast! Really enjoyed making more haunt friends and catching up with some old ones.
BUT... I'm pissed. I never tried the donuts. I thought you had to buy them. Oh we'll. see ya next year.