TransWorld Shoot Me Straight

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

One vendor was VERY upset

...that he didn't bring stuff for cash and carry as there was so much going on and he was told "it wasn't cash and carry show' Had latex stuff, pretty sure I saw Larry post a pic of the gal with the white skull painted on her chest. It was everywhere. Even if you didn't see it the stash was behind the booth...like a certain vendor I might or might not have bought a battery operated drill air horn combination.

Wicked Farmer

Comment

That is the problem with message boards or any of this stuff ... I KNOW people are carrying stuff out the door this I'm well aware of. What I'm saying is and actually what I did say was its not really a cash and carry show outside the fact that people are buying the displays from peoples booths and well carrying them away.

Does that really make it a cash and carry?

Cash and carry in my opinion is something different... its a vendor or really the majority of the show bringing 100's of pieces and selling them right on the spot. Their goal isn't to take orders rather make money while at the show. Let me take a guess who many giant animated monsters Scarefactory can hide under a table, or how many gore galore monsters can be stashed behind a whatever.

What I'm saying is this show isn't a cash and carry but yes its true that some vendors dump their displays but in my opinion that really isn't cash and carry. I've been to shows and vendors had 100 pieces trying to sell them right on the spot, this show is mostly taking orders shipping later.

Larry
      Larry Kirchner
      President
      www.HalloweenProductions.com
      www.BlacklightAttractions.com
      www.HauntedHouseSupplies.com
      www.HauntedHouseMagazine.com

Comment

Yeah tell me about it...we know first hand that you weren't doing cash and carry Larry - you had full racks of zombie costumes which we tried to buy 5 of and your staff told us we couldn't...so we went around the corner and bought from Brainchow Studios...they were taking orders and doing cash and carry - and doing very well I might add.

Comment

I have no idea about that... I thought they were letting people have the costumes. I think the issue there might have been they wanted to keep all the costumes on the rack so people can look at them to place orders. I don't know but I will ask. Those costumes they made look really really good you should order some.

Larry
          Larry Kirchner
          President
          www.HalloweenProductions.com
          www.BlacklightAttractions.com
          www.HauntedHouseSupplies.com
          www.HauntedHouseMagazine.com

Comment

Yes indeed your Zombie costumes did look fantastic - good work!

Comment

For those that attended the "Price is Fright" what were your thoughts?

Comment

Doing a quick flip through forums..

I came across 3 postings right here on the forums advertising cash and carry at the show. Sure the large prop makers can't bring in several props and hide under the table. But there were stacks of small boxes in the dead space between the display backing and their neighbor on the other aisle. Yeah this can become a huge mess for future years. Well, it already is when one vendor is mad he didn't bring the 1 ounce bottles to sell cash and carry seeing all the cash and carry going on. A couple here on this thread said they did cash and carry. It IS going on, though the show isn't officially run that way; a lot more than just booth pieces but no where close to majority of vendors. In Michigan they started sending forms to each vendor (myself included) at a show..and it wasn't fun getting it sorted out proving I simply handed out literature...guilty till they were persuaded by reasoning I was innocent sort of thing.

Since Larry has already talked with "officials" it may go by for a few years as it is. But my guess is there will be more cash and carry items next year whether sanctioned or not. My suggestion having dealt with this first hand...let it go on as it will until State of MO. cracks down. BUT I would suggest dropping a sheet of paper on every vendors booth next year telling them to cover their butts...pics of booth showing no cash and carry items as silly as it sounds worked for me proving I had no sales. and those doing cash and carry better be ready to back out the % sales tax MO. wants. I am afraid if the no cash and carry was enforced we would lose a few vendors and that is not good. There is no good solution.

Wicked Farmer

Comment

Halloween productions

We too tried too buy several costumes from that killer HP rack but were shut down and told could not buy till show close sun but we were leaving early sun morning . But would still be interested especially in the ragged and tattered bad ass orange jumpsuit it was killer and for 60.00 bucks i sure hope they list these costumes on the website hint hint Larry hope we get a chance to buy them .thanks cant wait too see them for sale again

Comment

Why couldn't any vendor just charge a sales tax on each order of C&C items just to cover their asses? Problem solved. No different than going to Macy's and buying clothes...we all pay sales taxes. No biggie. -Tyler
                    http://www.hauntdesignkit.com
                    >Download free Google SketchUp collections made just for haunt owners and designers.

Like us on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/HauntDesignKit

Comment

They should be.

They should be charging sales tax...but do not always. Of course I am sure they back it out later and report it. The problem here in Michigan festival I went to was the State KNEW there was tax evasion going on (as explained to me) so they said "Fine...we will just send a tax form to every vendor registered at the show" The show provided them with my business name (trade name) not the official DBA (Doing Business As) which made it even more fun. MO. could literally walk the aisles, see the registrations, and send forms to vendors as a "SURPRISE" as they did with me.

That some do and some do not do cash and carry makes the show all the more prime target by the state to stick their heavy hand on. Of course THEY WOULD NEVER EVER dream of walking the aisles observing and send notices. And cops do not hide behind overpasses on the Interstate's either to ambush speed violations with a hefty fine.

Wicked Farmer

Comment

You are worrying too much about sales tax when the booth spaces already pay directly to the city as the landlord of the convention center, collecting hotel taxes on 10,000 people showing up and it is all a pre planned system. Hassling 300 vendors because two to a dozen vendors do cash and carry and make 10,000 gross and have spent $4,000 to get there and bring money to the city in the form of being an event or attraction for business it the over all intention. It costs even a government money to try to follow up on all this minutia. Just to be a vendor you have to offer all of your regular federals business numbers and there is the taxation world.

A flea market where 4,000 people show up and are not registered businesses, yep they will make everyone get a business license for that town and register to pay sales tax because the place that the market is held is usually privately owned.

In the future the cash and carry percentage will most likely remain the same, a small percentage of the tradeshow orders. The trend is for most to not work ahead of time and risk hundreds of hours of work hoping for a sale of unique items. Rather to show what can be made and take orders.

In the larger order of things even tax delinquency isn't really gone after unless it is a significant amount of money like $10,000 in taxes or $40,000 in employee taxes. There is a veil of understanding that small business will never become big business if they are hammered regularly at lower levels. Taxes become one of those burdens and obligations that might otherwise be counter acted with other business deductions and things balance out.

Yes, several years down the road you can get hit for past events and income. It is kind of expected behavior that businesses may or may not become long term sustainable entities but, when they do, welcome to the world of taxation. Having lots of sales and having a gain are two different things. In the sales of unique hand made items, how much of that income was recovering all the booth expenses and travel expenses and the cost of the materials and labor paid to make things? Quite a bit. So in the bigger picture, someone may have sold hundreds of items and simply broke even on their labors. It isn't like you found crap left behind in a garage and hosed it off and are selling it for $100 because the market might pay that. These are all fully developed companies that will pay somewhere and I'll bet the city even gets a dib of the federal funding to make sure they have a convention center! So everyone is semi happy.

If there are 300 vendors there are probably 300 different catagories of tax payer identification and methodolgy as to what sales are even a gain at all or totally a promotional effort. Even making $10,000 or more in cash and carry does not signify those vendors total yearly income by any means and if it does, then they are given freedom to develop in a business and a market. There is a reason the booth spaces cost so much. The game for a $40 flea market table that hasn't paid any thing to the city or state versus paying $1500 or $2500 100 Square foot space where most if it goes directly to those entities are simply a different catagory of government income.

Say the government gets half of a $1500 booth space, that would be $750. If all the income came from sales tax on selling $10,000 worth of items that would be in sales tax about the same amount. It is done. It was paid. No reason to look over your shoulder. No reason to cover your butt or independently be a do gooder, you were yanked to even be able to participate in the convention as a vendor whether you made $10,000 or could only sell $1000 worth of some unique item.
                        sigpic

Another fabulous post from the U.S.Department of Wild Imaginings, now in spectaclar stereo, sponsored by the Adhesives and Sealants Council, suggesting ways to stick things together since the 1800s. Not fabulous in a gay way. Your results may vary. Illinois residents add 8% sales tax. These posts have been made by professional post makers, do not try this type of posting on your own without extensive training, lovely assistants and a trusty clown horn.

Comment

In short, sales tax is low hanging fruit when you can get people to pay rent and cash in on a federal pool of money. They make generalities about the amount of money transacted in not just this one but all tradeshows and there you go. It is how the prepaid booth fee is established. A really high booth fee like this plus hassle and it is over. OR just charge everyone the average of the planet even if they don't make a dime. How great is that.
                          sigpic

Another fabulous post from the U.S.Department of Wild Imaginings, now in spectaclar stereo, sponsored by the Adhesives and Sealants Council, suggesting ways to stick things together since the 1800s. Not fabulous in a gay way. Your results may vary. Illinois residents add 8% sales tax. These posts have been made by professional post makers, do not try this type of posting on your own without extensive training, lovely assistants and a trusty clown horn.

Comment

C&C

This is a tough one for me. The show is evolving and changing rapidly. More and more activities, celebrities, cash and carry each year. This year c&c was everywhere. Several booths only had c&c and no literature.

I’m fearful that all of these changes, and especially c&c will harm the shows value for me as an exhibitor. It’s the only show that brings the big spenders and big exhibitors. I like that about TW and would hate to see that go away.

I’m not against c&c and maybe it’s a good idea. This show needs to find a happy medium between no c&c, no celebs, no fun and garage sale, a fan show, a party.

Larry… From what you are saying I can tell that you did not walk the show floor during opening hours. If you had you would have seen cash and carry everywhere. As some people posted, you wouldn't sell c&c so they went elsewhere.

Doug.
                            Last edited by FrightProps; 03-14-2013, 07:33 PM.
                            www.frightprops.com

[FrightProps Blog]
                            [Google+] [YouTube]
                            [Facebook] [Twitter] [Tumblr] [Pinterest]

sigpic

Comment

I'm sure Larry is intentionally not seeing all of these things.

All the things you mention though, the C&C, the parties, the seminars, the big purchasing clients are actually each a different segment of the whole. Each one has a different customer matched to a different type of vendor. You have owners, investors, buyers, actors, set up people, and just enthusiasts all wandering around in the same space.

Some vendors are there to sell $10,000 worth of inventory and some are there to take $100,000 worth of orders. Or perhaps selling everything that was your booth on the spot could fall somewhere in between those incomes or certainly allow for break even on how much it cost to do the trade show.

You have to go with who your client is. Cash and Carry doesn't cheapen the whole thing, it is only a segment of what is happening. The high dollar buyer isn't doing cash and carry for $150,000 worth of stuff. The enthusiast isn't writing orders for $30,000, they are walking out with one $20 or $100 item.

It isn't really competition, it is complementary. IF you seperated out all the different catagories of who is being serviced at any particular show, and segmented it, it would be pretty lame overall.
                              sigpic

Comment

I do see Transworld trying to become all things for all people. I worry that all these extraciricular activities could detract for the real purpose of the show. Wasn't there talk of showing proof of spending at least $5k to gain entry at one time? It might sond like a lot to some but it's really easy if you buy one of the large costumes and animation or two, would cut back on the riff-raff??? Just thoughts to stimulate conversation.

Jake

Comment

Working...
                                X