If this happened our industry would go out of business... read this

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Who is the "Competition?"

25 yrs. ago when my admission was $2.00, my biggest competition was the $5.00 can of beer bought illegally from someone old enough (hence the $5.00 investment.)
    The actual "Cost" of live entertainment also has to include some of the expenses of travel to arrive and return. The price of a gallon of gas , ex cetra plus money for incidentals like a pop or burger and admission.....
    Working 30 hrs at 8$ might make the decision for a great many to stay home so they can buy groceries instead.
    hauntedravensgrin.com

Comment

im from ma,she isn't calling for 22 an hour,she is simply stating that if the min wage increased with the cost of living it would be around 22 per hour. honestly,who can live off min wage at its current rate.i pay my guys 10-12 per hour.like the old saying goes..pay peanuts and get monkeys
      https://www.facebook.com/pages/Blood...32305403537000

Comment

Originally posted by hacksaw the clown View Post
        im from ma,she isn't calling for 22 an hour,she is simply stating that if the min wage increased with the cost of living it would be around 22 per hour. honestly,who can live off min wage at its current rate.i pay my guys 10-12 per hour.like the old saying goes..pay peanuts and get monkeys
        Not totally accurate. At Knotts they hardly paid anything. Most acors work very hard and deserve a lot more than they get but they are there ebcause they want to be there whether it's $7.50 or $12.50 an hour. It's not a job you work just to do I think you are into this sort of stuff, horror, legitimate acting, costumes, etc and that's why they are there regardless of pay rate. Those people you're paying 12 would do it for 8 because they are IN TO it.

Jake

Comment

Who really pays min wage. Our McDonalds are paying $10 around here. The haunt industry has enjoyed the fact that people don't act for money but for the passion of being a haunt actor. How many of your actors have good paying jobs and do this for fun. I know a lot of professionals that do it for the love of the scare and being able to bring out a alter ego they can't show in thier every day life. It's nice to roll play and pretend in a world of political correctness that we now live. If people said the things they say as a actors in real life they would have 100 personal protection orders against them and be in jail.

As far as pay goes there is such a split in paying actors out there it's incredible. Sub-contract, volunteer, or paid. Everyone has thier own opinion on this and there is no right answer for the industry as a whole. That is not a subject that we can resolve on a forum setting.

As far as $22 dollars hr min wage they are playing games, if they put $22 out there and get people scared, they feel when that when they pass $10 to $12 we will think how lucky we are it's not $22. Just like taxes, at our current tax code the US will take in more tax revenue in 2013 than ever in history and we will feel good about it even if they still take a small raise in taxes, thinking we dodge a bullet. They play the game of puppet master and we just go along for the ride.
          Phatman

Comment

knots berry farm id like to think of as the exception.in new England,especially Massachusetts,min wage is 8.25 after deductions..alot of people wont get out of bed for that rate and I cant blame them at all. again,22 an hour isn't the rate she was calling for,she was simply stating that if min wage has kept up with inflation and the obscene profits big business makes then it should be 22 an hour. it makes sense actually.try supporting a family on 22 an hour in boston is tough never mind 8.25 that's just a joke

Comment

What did you pay when you started and what was your ticket price?

The article makes a point about if the worker productivity improvements were coupled with Cost of Living what the min wage would be. A GREAT discussion point.

That said, what was the ticket price of your haunt when you started selling them?

What was minimum wage at that time?

How much has each increased? Who is further ahead?

Here is some info from the labor dept. It was ten years before the last increase from 1997 to 2007 with two auto increases. Now it has been four years again with no increase.

Apr 1, 1990 $3.80

Apr 1, 1991 $4.25

Oct 1, 1996 $4.75

Sep 1, 1997 $5.15

Jul 24, 2007 $5.85

Jul 24, 2008 $6.55

Jul 24, 2009 $7.25

Bottom line is much of the same target demographic that the minumum wage helps is our customer base. Many kids are living at home and can spend money on haunts like movies, games, and misc. How many haunts out there were down last year? The fact is that many haunts have priced themselves out of reach of many of their customers as discussed on another thread.

As some haunts have said, they pay more than minimum already. Maybe those that are paying exactly minimum are getting what they are paying for?
              Brett Molitor (aka ~ JamBam) Member of HAA

Haunted Hotel-13th Floor (est by Huntington Jaycees in 1968 8) )
              Longest running Haunted House in the WORLD!!

Hysterium Haunted Asylum (old Haunted Cave), Fort Wayne Indiana

Hysterium Escapes - 4 rooms with 3 themes

www.HauntedHuntington.com

www.facebook.com/hauntedhotel

www.Hysterium.com

www.facebook.com/HysteriumFtWayne

www.hysteriumescapes.com

www.facebook.com/hysteriumescapes

sigpic

Comment

I think haunts have had to price their haunts at the high number now just to exist. I talk to a lot of haunters and visit many every year. When you stop and see how many paid actors they have and the insurance cost and the marketing it took to impress the guests with their shows and to attract new guests, it costs a small fortune to do a good show. Nowadays I wouldn't touch the concept of opening a new haunt for under 300k at least it just couldn't compete against a strong haunt with sound business sense. It's not like it used to be with black walls and volunteers, its a real business and like any real business it has real expenses and they need to charge what they charge to continue to exist and try to turn a profit. It's a new era now.

DA

Comment

Originally posted by Joe P View Post
                  That we have been so suckered into this mindset that if we make more you spend more. If they make "MORE" withot doing anything to "earn" more then the only thing will happen is all of the cost of living will go up which does nothing but keep the poor in the poor house. Its not just the hourly wage that makes people poor. Its bad choices...lottery, beer, cigs, too many kids 22 inch rims on your honda. So yes take more from me to give them more and guess what you might get their vote (which is all they really want) but you wont be better off. By making me have less (who runs two of his own business and risks my OWN capital to succeed) you wont make anyone else better off. Oh sure they might get more on their EBT or the Govt can pay for some more pet projects to get brownie points, but punishing the maker to cater to the takers will eventually land us all in the poor house! Now thats SCARY! Next year I am doing a themed Haunt called OBAMACARE! Its a haunt where a bunch of blood thirsty mindless Zombies are caring for the old sick and weak. Should be a HOOT
                  really? are you so blinded by fox that you just assume poor people make bad choices and with more money they would buy rims and smokes...dude,that is the thinking that cost the gop the election,stop judging people you don't know or understand

Comment

Originally posted by hacksaw the clown View Post
                    really? are you so blinded by fox that you just assume poor people make bad choices and with more money they would buy rims and smokes...dude,that is the thinking that cost the gop the election,stop judging people you don't know or understand
                    Open your eyes he doesn't need a news network to think for him like the PC minded liberal democrats of today. Open your eyes and the truth is there more often than not people are poor in their own accord.

DA

Comment

my eyes are open,wide at that.i was a union firefighter for 20 years,most poor people are poor because of job loss thru no fault of there own,sickness,age,no education again thru no fault of their own,there is nothing to back up your claim that the poor are poor due to their own accord,NOT from 40 oz beers,smokes,and drugs.turn off fox for christsake.poor people aren't the shitbags you think.rich people,now there are some shady chracters for you,their the real shitbags.anyways this forum isn't the place for this so im done
                      Last edited by hacksaw the clown; 03-21-2013, 10:21 PM.

Comment

Hacksaw,

Im assuming you've never lived in an inner city neighborhood in a big city? If not, do that for a couple months and you'll see much of what these guys say is correct. Nice cars, nice clothes, no job, despite being abled bodied. I used to sit on my front steps and literally watch my tax dollars being abused and they felt entitled to do so. Not all poor people are lazy my parents worked hard and did the best they could as many poor people do but to say rich people are automatically worse is just not true and just as much generalizing as what you accused the other guys of saying.

Allan

Comment

Originally posted by MDKing View Post
                          Hacksaw,

Im assuming you've never lived in an inner city neighborhood in a big city? If not, do that for a couple months and you'll see much of what these guys say is correct. Nice cars, nice clothes, no job, despite being abled bodied. I used to sit on my front steps and literally watch my tax dollars being abused and they felt entitled to do so. Not all poor people are lazy my parents worked hard and did the best they could as many poor people do but to say rich people are automatically worse is just not true and just as much generalizing as what you accused the other guys of saying.

Allan
                          Exactly!! Thanks Allan apparently he now thinks rich people are all bad. Only lazy people filled with hate and jealousy and shame because of their inability or willingness to make something if themselves hates rich people for being rich. There is good and bad in both classes of people.

DA

Comment

Originally posted by Darkangel View Post
                            Exactly!! Thanks Allan apparently he now thinks rich people are all bad. Only lazy people filled with hate and jealousy and shame because of their inability or willingness to make something if themselves hates rich people for being rich. There is good and bad in both classes of people.

DA
                            if you reread my post youll see that I said I was a firefighter for 20,in the city,where I met lots of poor people,there not all bad,in fact I bet some of them go to your haunt don't they. so please,go back to discussing haunts and not your hatred toward the poor.

Comment

Warren Buffet's take (more about how things should work) which I've always loved: "Let's say that it was 24 hours before you were born, and a genie appeared and said, 'What I'm going to do is let you set the rules of the society into which you will be born. You can set the economic rules and the social rules, and whatever rules you set will apply during your lifetime and your children's lifetimes.' And you'll say, 'Well, that's nice, but what's the catch?' And the genie says, 'Here's the catch. You don't know if you're going to be born rich or poor, white or black, male or female, able-bodied or infirm, intelligent or retarded.'

Comment

Dear congress..................

Thank you for hurting us !!!!!! (bunch of losers !!!!!) you dont see them giving up anything or giving anything back..........

Comment

Working...
                                X