Market for costumes?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Market for costumes?

Hey guys. I am wanting to start production on some small things to help start getting back up off the ground. One of the things I was thinking about was costumes.

Mainly easier, cloth costumes for now. Like jumpsuits and zombie suits etc. Maybe a few custom things like what GG has. Making my own weaponry to complete a few costumes.

So I wanted to ask, what's the market like for affordable, medium end costumes? I figure a lot of ppl would rather buy, so save time from making them so they can spend more time on the haunt and production of their own show. I know folks like Allen makes his own stuff, but was curious as to how many actually purchase costumes. I've never been to TW yet and I plan to next year no matter what.

Thanks for any insight. I AM looking to make a few things 'different'. rather than the same old ratty costumes.

Thanks.

Dewayne

If you do make some costumes, don't forget about the big guys and girls. It's almost impossible for us big guys to find a decent costume in the 3XL and up. And when we do find someone who will make one, its usually priced out of our budget. It's pretty much the reason I watched a lot of distressing videos and made my own supplemented with some items from other vendors like Stiltbeast and GG. Just my two cents.
    Dr. Saw @ Terrorplex

Comment

Most definitely brother! I know how you feel, tho I'm not a bigger fella, only 5'9 and 225 lbs now. But, I have a friend who's a very tall, larger fella and one of the greatest guys you'd ever meet. I couldn't get my haunt shirts in his size. He's more comfortable in 3x or 4x in some shirts. (Not very wide, just a HUGE dude) I felt so horrible that I couldn't get a shirt in his size. I had already thought about kids costumes (young young adult actors) and the tall and large ghouls too.

No, If I catch mats on sale for those sizes I'll most definitely pick them up and do my best to have a bargain of a deal.

I plan on doing some sculpting and molding too. Maybe some plaques for interior decor. I know sometimes it's hard to get a variety to fill a room / wall. MIrrors maybe. Lamps, I use to do custom "bone lamps" etc.

Thanks for the response.

Comment

Originally posted by GreatCaesarsGhost View Post
        If you do make some costumes, don't forget about the big guys and girls. It's almost impossible for us big guys to find a decent costume in the 3XL and up. And when we do find someone who will make one, its usually priced out of our budget. It's pretty much the reason I watched a lot of distressing videos and made my own supplemented with some items from other vendors like Stiltbeast and GG. Just my two cents.
        This is very true! I'm 6 foot 10" 280 pounds and it's hard to find costumes that fit me. I normally have to make my own.
        ~Bill Mlinac
        The Deadland Haunted House
        www.facebook.com/Deadlandhauntedhouse
        www.Thedeadland.comsigpic

Comment

If you had gone to transworld

you would have seen a ton of costumes offered, but it sounds like You have been given a market opportunity Larger costumes. I don't remember seeing any larger ones there.

Comment

Originally posted by deathstaste View Post
            you would have seen a ton of costumes offered, but it sounds like You have been given a market opportunity Larger costumes. I don't remember seeing any larger ones there.
            I did walk Transworld and saw tons of really cool costumes. None on the rack where in my size. When I asked about larger sizes, they said it was possible but for more $$$. Of course there is the exception of Gore Galore's oversized creature costumes, those would fit!
            Dr. Saw @ Terrorplex

Comment

looks like you've found your niche brother! Also, if you start out and sales aren't quite up to what you were looking for, contact some independent costume stores, if you have a quality product at a reasonable price point you may have a good distribution system there! Good luck!

Comment

Thanks guys. I have several hundred dollars to go buy mats with. I'm thinking about getting somet here in a bit. If nothing else, I can sell locally if I don't use them in my mobile haunt project. I'm trying to design my mobile haunt around 12 actors to start with. That's including lot talent. (que line) So I won't need much in ways of extreme make up setups etc.

Thanks for the replies.

I"m going to try and at least keep the larger costumes at a very reasonable price, if not close to the same price as normal!! (if nothing else, it'll be the 'kick' for it all)

Dewayne.

Comment

Originally posted by Motograter View Post
                  This is very true! I'm 6 foot 10" 280 pounds and it's hard to find costumes that fit me. I normally have to make my own.
                  If you are that big you are already scary enough,you don't need a costume.

Comment

Big & Tall Haunted Costumes! Good Idea!

Stew

Comment

In the works guys!

So far I've been able to locate and purchase quite a few larger dress / suit pants upwards in the 50" ranges. 1 or 2 in the 54"s etc.

I'm working on an idea to make the larger ones expandable. Cut, sew so they don't come apart easier, then attach touch elastic. So a 50" could fit in the 54"s and so on. I'm not a costume man, but Im willing to learn whatever I can to help out.

I just want to keep my foot in the door and DO SOMETHING, anything. I've got a girlfriend now that's very sweet and seems like she wants to help out. So I may have another 'partner' (Just when I was about to take off to cali and start a new, different life, she fell into play and told me the 2nd meeting "Your passion is obviously haunting, please don't quit it"

So I am here to ask. What is the "larger" sizes I need to look for guys? Help me out. I got a few largER jacket sizes but they're hard to size and find.

I am also thinking of breaking up the suits. Some may wear a 40' but the jacket would be too small, or maybe too big. I am thinking about selling jackets and pants seperate to help out with people getting costumes that ony parts fit. Less chances of wasting your money that way.

I'm starting out with ideas such as: Obviously Zombies, Zombie Suits etc, Victorian Dresses; Distressed, Victorian Zombie dresses, a few Cheer leader suits, French Military (if a deal goes through), Mechanic suits /Zombie suits and Nurse Outfits.

I have 2 unique, custom designs I'm working on right now. Going to try and design my own weapons etc to go along with them.

So I need from you guys, ideas of what you'd like to see produced and in what 'larger sizes', like what size do YOU need?

Thanks guys.

Comment

Working...
                      X