Platform Boots?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Platform Boots?

Could someone direct me towards a company that sells good platform boots for guys? I'm looking for something that will lift the actor up at least 5 inches.

Thanks,
    Jake

I bought mine off ebay
    ~Bill Mlinac
    The Deadland Haunted House
    www.facebook.com/Deadlandhauntedhouse
    www.Thedeadland.comsigpic

Comment

Do you find it relatively easy to get used to walking in them?

Comment

I learned I couldn't walk really fast in them or I would twist my ankle. I actually fell a couple times so just take it slow
        ~Bill Mlinac
        The Deadland Haunted House
        www.facebook.com/Deadlandhauntedhouse
        www.Thedeadland.comsigpic

Comment

I think you might be safer with drywall stilts. Google them. They strap to your leg and provide much better support. Safer IMHO but to each their own. Safety of the actor should be stressed either way.
          Tom
          Creator of the Dungeon
          WWW.BRICKTOWNAMUSEMENT.COM

Comment

Originally posted by scarygoat View Post
            Do you find it relatively easy to get used to walking in them?
            Going straight in them isnt an issue. Its when you want to turn in them that gets tough. The faster you are moving, the harder it is to turn without rolling your ankle. If you're running, you have to stop, turn, then start runnign again pretty much. Holes and dips in the ground are a giant bitch with them too (I wear 4" platforms)

Comment

Platform Boots -

I used a pair of platform boots for my newest werewolf costume - They are called monster boots....or as we call them at our Halloween Store "Suicide Boots" - 90% of the people that try them on just about kill themselves by rolling an ankle, these boots have NO ankle support what so ever and will cause you to twist your ankle over and over.

The way I fixed mine was I actually installed bracing on them so they are more like stilts. I drilled a hole through the platform part and added a flat piece of steel to both sides that goes up to just under my knee and then added a velcro collar to strap them to my leg - this provided the much needed ankle support and now I can almost run without worrying about breaking my ankle.

If I can find a picture of the boots before I covered them with fur I will post it.

Comment

Thanks for all the replies guys!

I saw this tutorial http://www.alliebee.ca/blog/2011/10/...m-boot-part-2/ on making your own platform boots.

What if I were to sort of follow that tutorial, but with a taller, more sturdy boot for better ankle support and maybe make the foam platform taper out wider so I have a larger platform to stand on... anyone think that may provide a safer and easier boot to walk on? And the nice thing about this is that it wouldn't cost much to make so if it doesn't work very well, no big deal!

I like the drywall stilts, but I would prefer boots because they would work better with the costume.

Comment

Originally posted by scarygoat View Post

And the nice thing about this is that it wouldn't cost much to make so if it doesn't work very well, no big deal!
                  It's a big deal if that injury causes your actor to be out the rest of the season.

Rolling an ankle can be a serious deal so make sure you have insurance to cover it. Especially if you modify something.

Not saying the mod wouldn't work but I am sayin a haunt has a lot of senerios we don't predict with patrons being drunk and what not.
                  Tom
                  Creator of the Dungeon
                  WWW.BRICKTOWNAMUSEMENT.COM

Comment

Well what I mean is, I would make it then test it and ensure it works safely before actually using it in the haunt.

Comment

Hot Topic

Check the clearance section at Hot Topic (www.HotTopic.com) periodically, I got my 7" platform boots there a few years back for around $50 I think. Takes some getting used to but they're not too bad to be in.
                      Mike Quill
                      Fear Town Haunted House

Comment

also, the stripper store

You can also check out Electrique Boutique (where the strippers shop). They have men's boots: http://www.electriqueboutique.com/wo...ub/46/1/a.html

Comment

Working...
                        X