Trailer Haunt for Fairs Input pls

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trailer Haunt for Fairs Input pls

Ok guys. I'm designing and proposing a Trailer Haunt idea to get my foot back in the door. I lost 90% of my stuff in 2012's b/s year.

Last few years and times I'd been at the fair, people were spending way more money on the funhouses, rides and food than tshirts. So with my broken hand and what is called "production tshirt airbrushing" I probably would be better off NOT rebuilding my tshirt stand.

So I'm very intrigued about trailer haunts. There was a funhouse with mirrors that took 3 min's for my wife and daughter to go through. I think it was 3 tickets and there was a short line the night we went and it was a slow night.

My thinking was, if I could only purchase 2 trailer's and get them detailed and outfitted by this season, wouldn't this be a good opp. to run these at the fairs to at least get SOME revenue in to finish purchasing trailers and stuff. If this were to be plausible, what would a 2 trailer haunt be worth charging for if I can keep them 3-5 minutes?

Any ideas on this subject? Eventually, for 2014 I'd like to have 5-6 trailers outfitted with a courtyard in the middle to have a decent length show going so I can charge $10, be a bargain and pay for itself and maybe a hotrod at some point :P

Let me know any and all ideas please. My mind is still jacked from the experience and I'm just trying to get back on track.

Thanks.

Dewayne

A user on here [MENTION=11943]shawng[/MENTION] built by far the best trailer haunts I've ever seen. From electrical to use of space, it was so well executed. I highly suggest contacting him and seeing if would be willing to give you some pointers.
    Zach Wiechmann
    www.frontyardfright.com

Comment

Dead house designs is your haunt trailer headquarters

WHERE YOU AT TRANSWORLD EARLY THIS MONTH, IF SO DID YOU SEE OUR TRAILER HAUNT $25000.00 PLUG AND PLAY READY, THERE ARE A FEW VIDEOS ON YOUTUBE WITH IT. WE CAN CUSTOM DESIGN TO WHATEVER THEME YOU CAN THINK OF, OR WE CAN COME UP WITH SOMETHING.

www.deadhousedesigns.com

my name is kevin and you can message me on here if your serious about it.

Comment

Is it $25k for one 48' trailer? That's super expensive what all comes in it props and animation and cgi effects? You'd need at least 4 for a legitimate attraction that's $100k WOW.

Do you guys offer services where you cone to locations and build out people's trailers instead of buying new ones from you guys? I also hear that there are no scare zones in the trailer at the show so there was no place for actors to hide and scare from?

DA

Comment

Frightener,

It certainly is an interesting idea and one that we've been exploring for a while. As an FYI, I've got about 15 years experience in the entertainment end of fairs and have taken a show (not a haunt) to about every event in the US at some point or another so I've got a fairly good handle on how it operates. Not 'pooh-poohing' the idea at all, because it could be a good opportunity, but there are some things to consider depending on how deeply you want to get involved. Totally doable, just keep these things in mind as you develop your plan:

RATES: The most interesting thing (obstacle?) about this industry is there is essentially not an industry standard. Every single event you encounter will present you with a different business model. For vendors particularly, it's an extremely competitive environment and of course... depressingly, it's all about the money. Real estate is premium. Once you get accepted, some events will charge based on linear feet of your space, some will charge on total square feet of your space, some will charge a percentage of your gate, and then most will come up with some bizarre concoction of all of those formulas. Just be prepared with a calculator. **See below

TRANSPORTATION: If you're just considering doing a couple of local fairs in October, then this next part probably doesn't apply, but be sure to account for transportation costs of the trailers. If you don't have access to tractors, most companies will move trailers in the $2.50 per mile range (or less) and there are several good resources for that. But if you're just talking local and have a buddy with a truck, you could certainly strike a better deal.

INSURANCE: So far most events are still sticking with the standard $1M liability, but some events are pushing up to $2M and in some cases $5M. Ugh. But that hasn't been so widespread yet.

POWER: This is a real consideration. Attempt to keep your power needs to a minimum! Can't stress this enough. Our show required 100 amps and that was a huge struggle almost everywhere we went from quality of the power, to distance of cable needed to reach the source. Not to mention actual amps available and their reliability. A good strong quite genny would be great if you could pull it off. Not a deal breaker, just be very specific in your pre-show discussions.

LOCAL REGS: This one will make you crazy(er). Every county of course is different. I'd suggest going the extra mile on safety, then have overwhelming comprehensive safety documents for the attraction that you can
          'wow' inspectors with. Too much is worth it... rather than a 'no' opening or incredibly expensive last minute runs to Home Depot. Keep in mind, that while some safety regs are seemingly more relaxed as a temporary installation, some (SOME) inspectors can be a little tougher on the fair industry as they can hold a bias that the 'gypsy' nature of the industry creates a greater risk. Lots of documentation, and a friendly and professional attitude will do wonders.

LODGING: If you're local, then no worries. Just be sure to figure in housing costs for your folks and per diem, etc. if you are going out of town. If you have access to RV's most fairs have a lot for just such a thing at a reasonable rate. Motel 6 can be your friend for your crew... but book early, cheaper hotels fill rapidly in advance of fairs.

**RATES REVISITED: It's possible that some fairs could be a little more malleable with their rates if they can be convinced that your attraction will bring in revenue that they wouldn't have gotten had you not been there. As opposed to performing dog shows, barber shop quartets and defunct family circus acts, I think it's entirely reasonable to think that you could convince a fair that haunted attractions are capable of drawing it's own crowd who might just come out to specifically to see your well marketed House of Horrors. With your pro experience, I'm sure that you could demonstrate that you have the ability to fire up your own well-oiled marketing machine. They'd like that. Just be prepared to work WITH their marketing department.

LASTLY: A great resource, really a must, is IAFE, the International Association of Fairs and Exhibitions. This is a well organized association that virtually every reputable fair, vendor and entertainment belongs to. They publish a book that among other things, details every event in the country (and beyond) including contact information, grounds size, demographics, attendance (attendance is a number you really wanna look at!) and other useful tidbits.

Hope this has been helpful. Holler at me anytime in a PM if there's anything I might be able to add. As I mentioned, we've been looking at this option for a while, but being involved in other things, haven't taken the plunge with a haunt. So we're looking forward to a 'guinnea pig.' Ha! Best of luck!!!
          Michael Inks
          Geist Entertainment, Inc.
          Visit GEI on Facebook

sigpic

"If you can dream it, you can do it." - Walt Disney

Comment

I saw Dead House's trailer designs at Transworld...

Originally posted by Darkangel View Post
            Is it $25k for one 48' trailer? That's super expensive what all comes in it props and animation and cgi effects? You'd need at least 4 for a legitimate attraction that's $100k WOW.

Do you guys offer services where you cone to locations and build out people's trailers instead of buying new ones from you guys? I also hear that there are no scare zones in the trailer at the show so there was no place for actors to hide and scare from?

DA
            I saw Dead House's trailer designs at Transworld... I thought their design looked pretty darn cool. Correct there wasn't really a lot of places to hide people. but it appears they design/build to suit... so I assume a simple matter of adding some nooks. I assume Dead House was showing off their talent of crunching a whole lotta cool scenes in trailers versus presenting a fully workable haunt.

Otherwise, I think there are a number of remedies to your dilemma, but sometimes discovery the answers oneself is the best way.

Comment

Thanks for the responses.

Michael, yes I want to hit a few fairs, but only to make a little bit of money to help purchase the other trailers and building $$. I have an investor that has a small amount invested in my last haunt, but big enough he's not going to want me to pay him back with my current job lol. He WANTS a business to come out of this. Even if it just pays the bills and my wages. Even I will be very happy with that. Just as long as I can keep it open to build it up.

I don't want to make a lot of money. Just be comfortable and I know new businesses will always take 'building up' to get there. This is why I'm considering the fairs and MAYBE a carnival or two in a town or so away. But yes, ONLY small time, local, VERY LOCAL events. Nothing huge. All this is about, is to get my haunt built up to a $12 sizeable haunt with value.

I also plan to power the whole event with 12v, with an A/C unit outside of the trailer and a generator w/ backup running as the power plant / charger. I have a friend who can sell me Gen's at wholesale, so if I wear one out, I can pick one up relatively cheap.

Right now, I'm just working on design of the first trailer and the facade. I'm not sure if I want to go cheap and PAINT the trailers, or actually build a facade so when they're setup you have to really look to see the trailers in it. "trailer skirts", wall extensions to hide the gaps of the trailers on the side and everything. Costs more but will be a lot more appealing to the customer.

Comment

It's quite possible that I spouted out far more irrelevant information than you were looking for. I've been known to do that. Great luck on the haunt! (I like your 12v plan, very low amp friendly!)
                Michael Inks
                Geist Entertainment, Inc.
                Visit GEI on Facebook

sigpic

"If you can dream it, you can do it." - Walt Disney

Comment

You may want to reach out to Jim Upchurch he own 11th hour Haunted House in Chicago. It's a trailer haunt and he was the instructor for the trailer haunt class at TW. I took the class and he really knows his stuff about this subject.
                  Phatman

Comment

All the things Micheal Inks said, really isn't an over statement. Most fairs have set the bar a little high and you have to be a member in good standing in the national group and pay your member ship fee. It is not only to list where you will be attending but a way for them to track vendors. Where all the shows are and when may seem totally useless but you still have to have the link to that association.

Having your own generators sounds like the thing but if you go to an established fair, they will insist you hook up to their power generators with long expensive cords. They will site the standards of how their show is run. The fuel is only in one or two places and the noise is kept remote.

Further, just to get into one or two shows to do a trial, they will insist you pay up front for your space and utilities $500 or several thousand dollars, especially if you are taking cash instead of their ticket system where they handle the splitting of money.

So starting out you will want to avoid the more established festivals and carnivals that will require putting up several thousand in advance hoping you get customers. I have popped into any fair or festival that has the old style haunted house or dark ride and watched for hours the actual flow of attendance. You are in competition with all sorts of things with their own barkers and just sitting there with even a $250,000 rig they are only seeing 2 to 3 people every 20 minutes that actually do the haunt. You can take the established attendance for any such show and you might actually attract 1/2%. Not impressive for all the hoops you need to jump through.

I have sat with dudes that owned carnival set ups and they didn't turn toward a gain until they had 8 games spread through the festival. It has been a long time but pulling that off was drive all your stuff in, get it all inspected every time and pay the boss $10,000 for the privelage of setting up. Pay for the crew to stay somewhere and be open the whole 12 hours the show is open to the public so this means several shifts of very reliable people to get your front money back.

So also as Micheal suggested you want to make the haunt some kind of additional thing that at least in concept is going to make people want to come. So the subtlety of this is if you aren't getting the feed back that this would be a great thing, you are into a festival that is a little too developed and wants to manage you with your money.

You will have to explore things like where the bands are, successful DJs and hook up with local resorts and even large churches. Rather than festivals, work the large flea markets and trade days.

Build insulated walls for the generators to control the noise from other vendors. Any place you can't use generators is a tip off to something that is too well established and you might as well be fighting a union.
                    sigpic

Another fabulous post from the U.S.Department of Wild Imaginings, now in spectaclar stereo, sponsored by the Adhesives and Sealants Council, suggesting ways to stick things together since the 1800s. Not fabulous in a gay way. Your results may vary. Illinois residents add 8% sales tax. These posts have been made by professional post makers, do not try this type of posting on your own without extensive training, lovely assistants and a trusty clown horn.

Comment

Thanks for the input guys. Especially you Greg. You've helped me out a ton last season with getting my feet wet.

I was thinking, even to start with 1 or 2 trailers for a few small events etc, that should be a HUGE blessing. The main thing is, not having to pay rent for a full year!! I was going to have to pay $24,000 just in rent for this coming year... Take that off and what do I have? Much less need to hit higher numbers for my first few years while I build up.

I have spoken with a few people and I have a bunch of different areas I can set up. Even my 5th and 6th choices are REALLY GOOD places! Mainly very HIGH traffic areas... at least for around here lol.

Also, the carnival things around here don't seem to be too terribly restrictive, at least as long as I cooperate, let them choose my 'spot' etc. They'll probably, most likely want me to go to their ticket system but I don't care. Making money is making money to me for the first settings. I'm just trying to get the ball rolling. THEN I can purchase a few more trailers and continue building.

Any other input? Any other advantages you guys can see? I'm serious, if I can clear 2,000 ppl a season I'd be ecstatic and really, we WOULD'VE HIT THAT # in 2012, had it not been for the crazy ex to fail at the rest of .... ok. If we had completed even 50% of the marketing it would've been easily done.

Thanks again.

Comment

One of the aspects not covered is heat. If you are planning to utilize these during the summer fair season you basically have a steel box oven sitting in the sun all day. On top of that you now put 98 degree heaters (every person entering) through that will continue to maintain that heat level. I run my haunts in Vegas. I have holes and vents cut into every trailer, fans at every actor spot and it's still hot...in October!! During the late fall when working on the trailers it will be 100 outside and 130 inside!!

Second, almost everywhere you will go will probably require a sprinkler system. Can you hook up to a hydrant everywhere you want to set up?

Third, most locations will have no idea how to inspect the trailer show. Your inspection process might take longer that the actual fair. Since there is no standard you would have to submit plans to each jurisdiction, probably weeks in advance. Then they would want time to inspect before you even open the doors. Most locations for a fair will not allow you the time to set up and wait for fire inspections. You have one maybe two days prior max.

Transporatation was mentioned and is a legitimate concern. Do you have one truck making multiple trips or multiple trucks making one trip? Distance between fairs? Do you travel from one to another or return to a base location between shows? Licensed, insured drivers will be $100-$150 and hour plus mileage.

Comments made here are not to "rain on your parade", merely point out real issues from someone who actually owns and operates a trailer haunt.

Smart thing you are doing is to ask questions FIRST, before you spend money!! Good luck

Rich
                        Last edited by RJ Productions; 04-04-2013, 02:54 AM.
                        R&J Productions
                        Las Vegas, NV
                        www.LasVegasHaunts.com

Comment

Thanks for teh response. I thought I made it clear, I'm not traveling with the fair. I only have 2 locations I want to go to. My town, and the town 20 min's from me. I plan on speaking to the FM's in the next week or so and see what they think. The main thing is, I want to be able to just set up a few times, at the fair if possible and have a couple of starter shows. Then next year I plan to add on. I'd like to have 4 trailers to start with in 2014.

I will probably have one truck do all four. I have 2 friends with CDL's, one with a company truck, one with his own rig and I also have inlaws that can help with transportation.

My main goal is for it to be portable. When I get the name slowly built up, and marketing money saved, I can start advertising to be at a certain place for the season. I have 3 locations that are out of city limits and on farms etc (possibly 5 now that I think about it) that I can setup with much less aggravation from the legalities. NOT to be ANY LESS SAFE! None at all, but to keep tight wad jackarses from keeping me from running. You know, the people who just DO NOT want a haunt in their area. But honestly, in this area, haunts have been very welcomed from what I have learned so far. In Paragould here, I was praised by the local FD BECAUSE I approached them! They said and I quote "Well we've had many haunts here, but you're the only one to have approached us. We've never even been to the others, like the one at the nursing home or the one at xxx street. So you've already got our respect for trying to do things right. We like that. "

Eventually, hopefully in just 2 seasons, if all goes well, I'll just set up at a farm or other location that has parking, pay rent and be out of the 'hairs' so to speak. Here in Arkansas, during October (when I mainly want to setup) it's usually COLD! Everyone in lines are always wearing jackets etc. I've always gone to haunts here and being a hot natured person, I, most of the time are either cold, or wearing a jacket! And I hardly wear a jacket. I wear t shirts when it's snowing outside. Irrelavent I just realized but o well lol.

You did make me think about the fairs though for sure! So thank you for helping me realize that the fair runs DURING THE DAY as well!

Since I'm making this a long post, anyone care to throw some ideas out that could be great themes for a trailer haunt? How about a theme, that I can 'EASILY' paint / build a facade to cover the trailers with? Actually building a facade to 'hide' the trailers would be very expensive and time consuming, not only to build, but for setup as well. I have thought of the idea as a partial carnival setup and utilize the trailers as part of the looks. However, I don't know about others, but there are SO MANY people who just WILL NOT go to a haunt (around here anyways) if they know it has clowns or the like. I am sure it wouldn't affect sales too much tho, huh?

Sorry so long. just killing time before I have to go BACK into work. (split shift thrown at me, very unfair since I 'again' can't see my child due to work )

Thanks again guys,

Dewayne

Comment

dead house designs

Seriously check out our site and give us a call Dave already has many different lay outs drawn up and ready to build and with a facade drawn up for all of them .....you won't be let sown to the amount of detail we put into our sets .....we can cater to anyone's theme
                            Www.deadhousedesigns.com
                            And as far as local school fairs go you can use the trailers as a donation to the fair ....ala....they make all the addmission and you have your name all over it for advertising purposes and hand out flyers to let them know where you will be during October.....win win tax write off and publicity.....
                            That's my thoughts
                            Kevin

Comment

Trailer hotness is a real issue, please donate to the cure trailer hotness foundation......

So maybe, you get reefers, refrigerator trailer(s) and do so some kind of freezer theme, like roswell aliens on ice side show or it could be a mobile butcher shop. I'm thinking the alien museum would fly, could be any season and an oddity, not necessarily haunted house.

The inside of the trailers can evolve too. In the first showings it doesn't even have multiple walls, it has platforms and creatures you have made out of any crap with little cards describing the 26 supposed alien species. Maps of the galaxy and videos of UFOs or pictures and news clippings.

The year two it becomes alien autopsy haunted house like the old Silo X shows, Just with two trailers you can have a big central courtyard with big things like a junk helocopter or military vehicles that are donated, rented for just one show? Plus this intresting concept is how we have gotten lots of charity groups with no money off the ground, borrowing props, donated props, on loan from other shows for honorable mention.

Props can evolve too. Year one they are paper mache over great foam, year two the same props get a coat of latex and air brushed, year three they get mold casts and one creature becomes 15 creatures made.

The trailers can evolve, you can rent cargo containers and only have the walls and props come in with a smaller trailer and set up like a moving haunt. Unload everything and have the rental company come get the containers. Or this same concept can be in conjunction with your one owned trailer that kind of expands into any space in a day or so with enough help.

A few days ago I though what are we talking about, renting little Uhaul trailers and spooking them out then show is over the trailers have to be back in the morning with only 5 miles on the hubs charged. Win Win! But in my silliness, yes some pretty nice trailers can be leased for short term and things set inside and taken to the location and make money, take it back to nowheresville disassemble and return the leased trailer within the lease time.

The real deal with trailers is if you own them, there are inspections, liscensing, possible tickets on the road and spot inspections, tires that cost hundreds of dollars each. Brakes that are supposed to work, outside skin that is supposed to be in a certain condition. So with all this crap in mind, we never moved out trailers and used pick ups and smaller trailers of all different sizes with lots of vehicles at a time moving the whole 3,000 SF and props in a single day. Set up in 2 days of the wall system, a week detailing. So lots of work but, very small actual expense.

So like cargo trailers have no wheels are dropped on the ground, could be used like pods and moved loaded partially. So you can calculate actual cost versus potential income and stay under all the time.

Moving a trailer with walls already installed is actually not as stable as you would imagine, the trailer body sways around and loads and unloads on the floor and jiggles pretty substantially and shakes your wall system apart and from the walls, so you have to kind of engineer things for these movements and stresses and build thing more substantial than normal or get into steel frames. So you think you saved money but you have to invest so much more to make it really turn key. It is like an earth quake inside a trailer. I would imagine opening the doors and seeing heads on the floor and animatronics jammed. What was an outstretched arm is now sagging. All the hours retouching things versus just moving in with smaller trucks that don't bounce anywhere as much as they are more comfort/passenger oriented.

To the extent that there is a series of crappy not as road worthy trailers somewhere as storage, and move things from there to any space, leased super nice trailers with giant billboard vinyl coverings that speak of professionalism that are actually rented for a week. Or container trailers that rent for $150 per month. Or dare I say, mobile homes you can get for free and get up to some standard for use. Then sell those you got for free to someone that wants one on a deer lease and move up to trailers.

These are just I don't have a lot of money start up ideas. You sort of get into a mess once you consider a wall system layout to be permanent. Aluminum floors and fiberglass walls and transluscent roof fiberglass is what is out there, the older ones with wood floors and steel sides usually are cheap but need a total Smithsonian Institute rebuild. So Aluminum floors and nice walls off problems mounting things and making this stay undamaged during a move.

The other issue is off season storage expense of trailers in a location or with pads where it doesn't sink into the ground. Then you have to call in a semi wrecker winch truck to get the landing gear up out of the dirt. The landing gear can sink through asphalt and then someone has to pay for that. In what was supposed to be a simple trip you have problems with tires, wheel bearings or brakes locking up because of moisture and rust in the brake drums because they sat a fw months. No moving problems that have to get very expensive on site repairs. You have to be a trailer wrangler and loader to have seen all this crap. Murphys Law happens. Just random vandalism and several hundred dollar tires. All suprises you don't need.
                              sigpic

Another fabulous post from the U.S.Department of Wild Imaginings, now in spectaclar stereo, sponsored by the Adhesives and Sealants Council, suggesting ways to stick things together since the 1800s. Not fabulous in a gay way. Your results may vary. Illinois residents add 8% sales tax. These posts have been made by professional post makers, do not try this type of posting on your own without extensive training, lovely assistants and a trusty clown horn.

Comment

Working...
                              X