No announcement yet.

Trailer Haunt for Fairs Input pls

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Where ever the storage lot is, the thing just grows from side show to museum to haunted house. Temporary locations with lots of sweat equity set up earns money and every time out, adds another trailer to the storage area empire and no efforts or money is spent to make them fully road worthy just yet. In other words cheap trailers that have been retired. I have gotten them for 2500 for one or 1100 for one delivered. Some times there are deals where 3 for 3,000 or less when a freight company is retiring a fleet. It becomes a timing thing of when the purchase is right as opposed to have to have them now, how much are they scenario.
    sigpic

Another fabulous post from the U.S.Department of Wild Imaginings, now in spectaclar stereo, sponsored by the Adhesives and Sealants Council, suggesting ways to stick things together since the 1800s. Not fabulous in a gay way. Your results may vary. Illinois residents add 8% sales tax. These posts have been made by professional post makers, do not try this type of posting on your own without extensive training, lovely assistants and a trusty clown horn.

Comment

Not to mention, once you have something like that, a few semi trailers, there springs up truck loads of people who want to buy them as a side business, you don't fall in love with them right away if you can sell and trade to nicer units or much better prop ideas.
      sigpic

Another fabulous post from the U.S.Department of Wild Imaginings, now in spectaclar stereo, sponsored by the Adhesives and Sealants Council, suggesting ways to stick things together since the 1800s. Not fabulous in a gay way. Your results may vary. Illinois residents add 8% sales tax. These posts have been made by professional post makers, do not try this type of posting on your own without extensive training, lovely assistants and a trusty clown horn.

Comment

And again Greg. Thank you.

Yes, plenty to think about. I have thought of a lot of that. I really don't think it'll be THAT big of a deal for us. Especially since we're only using the trailer idea to get back in the game. Eventually I'd like to make enough to put down on a perm building and sell the trailers to outfit the new haunt. Or, let someone run the trailers as a side from our main haunt, or something. PLenty of things to do with them.

The main area I'm wanting to keep them in is my town. IF i take them out, it'll only be a 20 min drive. But I understand 20 min's on a bad brake or tire can mean disaster.

I have a few places I may be able to set up, that'd be a great location, and possibly even perm! But, I'd have to fort a marketing bill too at tha point to get the people there. BUT, again, I wouldn't have a $1,000-2,000 / month rent bill to pay either. These can be used for the simple fact some great locations... JUST DON'T HAVE A BUILDING! I didn't think about that till recently.

Evolution: Yes, absolutely, I'm a po' man so all my shiz will have to evolve. Sure, I may get a small loan to make a few purchases from Frightprops or Poisonprops etc. , maybe another order from GoreGalore... but yes, most of my stuff will have to be hand made, which is ok, I love to do it. I thought of themes like you, from Aliens, to even a Traveling Meat vendor etc. Don't want to do the 'hillbilly' thing but, it'd really fit though. Plus, Horror in the Hollow in Piggott Arkansas (1 hour away) has that theme done, and done well.

Comment

OK, so has any of you heard of the "Terror Trucks?"

I found this guy that has these trucks and apparently they're what, 38'? or so. Anyways they seem to be doing well for him. I was curious as to if anyone here knew who it was or knew anything about them.

What is your take on it? THey look very cool to me!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i_aNPq412BI

Comment

What I see here is a $35,000 truck and a $12,000 trailer with $4,000 in wrap graphix, a $4,000 web site, every social media stream know to man and this thing being successful on tour, mainly in California locations.

I have learned the hard way that things that seem hot and trending that young people should be all excited about do not translate to the same levels of particpation outside of California. So what the real plan will be is for this guy to hit as many shows as he can for a year or two and then end up on Shark Tank seeking $350,000 to grow his franchise business so other people can send him money.

You can rent it for 3 hours for $1500! Any where! Any time of year! That is $500 per hour. So how much can you charge for 30 feet of scares in our part of the country? $5? so you have to get 100 people per hour to go through this. When the reality might be 60 people to 120 people per day. Sounds like he got all the money times 3 for real economics in non California locations.

So what is the alternative to this? A $600 school bus with the words "free candy" spray painted on the side might be more economically feasable.

Real numbers for a one day or weekend event when broken down by attendance and percentage of who gives a crap come down to like 500 people per event per year. So at $5 you are talking $2500 per outing. Or the reality is it might be some festivals do every 6 months because the true value of the attendance is half per event and that is how they harvest the market. Some even do their festivals every 3 months because only 100 people actually purchasing things and supporting vendors happens. In reality.

You really have to watch who is the overall sponsor of things. Generally a city has a festival and they seem to have lots of parks they want money awarded to so they have to show a regular schedule of things going on. They want money in the form of government funding and awarding of tax funds, not making money by attendance or real exchange of goods at what ever the event is. And although there is a great community feel to many of these things and a tremendous social feel and experience, actual money making might be as little as $75 for all the crap you went through to comply with, be approved by and participated in this philithropic atmosphere. You can't afford to be a philanthropist or a franchisee or in any form foot all the bills for the community at large to give the world some kind of feel. When it gets right down to it.

Oh, but you are going to these things and giving shit away to get your name out there. It doesn't work like that, you are getting taken. So it is going to be kind of hard to have your name out there and build a 4 or 5 trailer attraction on $150 per year. Actually it can be done. All things the industrial world doesn't want to pay to disguard of properly can be gathered up and made into things. BUt don't plan on any of this as your total means of financing or paying off previous business partner debts.

So maybe the terror truck guy has spent all the money, has all the props and all the gizmos and it is totally worth the experience and the rig is the most up to date it can be. Does it actually profit? Nothing wrong with doing and testing out an idea but not if you can't afford to not eat from your $150,000 worth of rig and business planning. SO there is a bigger picture, like he can build one for you! He can sell you the old one! He can do so many things but it isn't an instant cash deal and there are probably many that have become involved in the venture whether it makes money or not they gain something. Like the graphix wrap guy gets referal business to have your graphix done on you business truck business, the trailer company has their name on their and someone wants a trailer like that really bad. Maybe all of this was done as things provided by sponsors to test out this idea we are kind of seeing as a trend right now.

We are seeing it where every once in a while and article comes out about a unique business venture. It hits the magazines and internet and you can do it too, here is the guys information! He can make anything mobile you want from a haunted house to a hot dog truck, so the real motivation isn't necessarily getting lots of ticket money, it is cheaply getting out there and having 15 minute conversations with other people that might want something built for lots of money. They have a deal with a trailer company and a deal with a graphix guy and he has the experience so yes, he can make what ever you want happen for the right amount of money.

To imagine actual numbers of people want to do this and pay some amount of money out of thousands in attendance is a tremendous gamble. You want to hit two shows and build a $150,000 mobile attraction when in reality it might take 5 years of putting in your dues never missing a performance at any event to build up customer expectations and attendance numbers even at a transcient show. It is going to have to crazier than cool graphix wrapped on a "custom" expensive trailer and a truck that gets 4 miles per gallon.

Even if you hit 12 events per year and saw religiously 500 people per event, you will develop only one retarded fan that wants to know where you will be next. Mind you he doesn't have $5 but wants to talk to you for 300 hours a year about it. Quite frankly this is even what haunted houses become, mobile or permanent locations, a life size presentation of skills and services you offer off season or to help others or perhaps the entire haunt is on display to sell.

A guy who is set up to do costumes and masks builds a haunt and might just make expenses but got hundreds of leads to who needs to buy masks and costumes and his latest actor training seminars. A scenic design guy shows off his sets and you can have one done at your haunt or buy this room here or he can do a facade for you. A welder will show off his props he engineered and built and he can make things for you too!

But the blind only see a line of people with money in their hand at $10 or $20 a pop and how much could that be? What could it buy? Not much actually, it is a money pit, a giant portfolio of what can you do, what products do you know where to buy or are effectively a dealer for.

So the terror truck guy even if only 6 high school kids come through all day long for $3 is really striking up conversations with old dudes about what kind of trailer is that, how much can that tuck pull and who does these grafix and how much does all this shit cost. Can you help me hok up a generator like that on my RV? Sure! If you have $800 I'll be there Wednesday! Or I'll hook you up with my trailer guy or I'll hook you up with this grafix company, they do great work.

Sorry that is the reality. Even the big boys have the most elaborate most animatronic and CGI effects laden haunt and they can build one for you in China! Here is how we did this becomes the conversation piece to what you could do for half a billion dollars for an amusement park or a historic location and employ this crew of people or for a fee I will procure and deliver all the props from several vendors!

So what is it you do besides get ticket money and change tires on trailers in the highway with cars coming by at 85 mph in the rain. What kind of service is this the lost leader for, or do you employ a bunch of people that can do things and this is their handy work right here!?! Who do you know, who sponsored your endevor that you are promoting, not who do you owe money to that may someday expect a pay back. Where are the win win situations in your bigger plan while you live on $20 a day.
            Last edited by Greg Chrise; 04-11-2013, 09:36 PM.
            sigpic

Comment

Greg! That is your most informative post ever! We are just going to start sending you regular checks! Thanks!
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Greg Chrise View Post
                So what is the alternative to this? A $600 school bus with the words "free candy" spray painted on the side might be more economically feasable.
                Sometimes I see the wall of text and say to myself, "Greg post... will it be worth the 10 minutes it will take to read and decifer?" And then I find the gold nugget. Yes. Yes it is. Genius.

what_truck_right_me_free_candy_sized.jpg

Comment

Just thought I'd update. I found 3 trailers. 2 48's and a 45'er. 45'er is the only one with FRP walls (Fiberglass Reinforced Plywood) But, the others are in good shape and I can easily see them being very usable.

Basically, they're CHEAP! All good tires, decent brakes and only 1 may have stuck brakes but he said he would take care of that for me. 2 of the trailers have only been retired 6 months. $3,500 for all 3!!! And he'll move them all for me. It's a guy that my best friend works for.. he owns 2 of them and HIS best friend owns the other. Already talked about a deal to pay so much down and pay more at the end of the season. (If I don't pay cash up front)

I have a chance to do this. I have 7 possible drop spots in 3 different towns with the furthest being 20 min's away!

Going to try and get 2 built for this season.... if I have resources and time.. and help I will try the third one as well.

I pretty much have no choice so I'm gonna move forward if I can.

I'll make a new thread when I get them purchased and dropped.

Dewayne

Comment

Working...
                  X