Trying to figure Out... The Customer!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trying to figure Out... The Customer!

Open every night now for 26 years (plus Sat. & Sun. afternoons in the Summer and Fall)and I am STILL trying to figure out the customer.
    The area of my puzzlement lies within the common minor complaints which just so happen to be diametrically opposed to one another.
    They being returning customers not finding what they came here for and the two camps of oppostion are those looking for something "New!" Versus those disappointed because some old standby is no longer here or used for their tour of the house.
    An extra dimension to these arguements is the pure fact that no customer coming here will ever memorize everything that awaits them inside of these property lines.
    Our personal little joke comes from confused customers who talk about devices that we have never ever had here such as coffins with trap doors opening out the bottom dropping people far, far away... or Bath tubs, doing essentually the same task.
    Add to this the mistaken people who will actually argue with my Wife as to the secret passage that they say opens up right next to our front door from the 1949 Hudson car body peacefully residing there, with no such passage and no evidence of such from inside the house or basement. I have shown some people the basement there to prove them mistaken.
    Maybe the confusion is good? They are blowing up a balloon to be much larger than it could ever be?
    Maybe the house tour's length helps affect their mind in such ways. I am pretty much talking the entire time covering a vast number of subjects as I point out artifacts within the house alng with usually funny stories about people's reactions to various frights here along with some actual Supernatural events and their effect upon some visitors.
    hauntedravensgrin.com

Maybe...

They're offering suggestions, but they don't realize it?

Comment

Or it could be.....

The fact of Charlies Bar being at the top of the hill! Maybe there minds have been clouded by too many alcoholic beverages! Or they have watched too many episodes of scooby doo!
      Damon
      www.frightmasters.weebly.com
      Last edited by damon carson; 03-29-2013, 02:28 AM.
      Damon Carson

Comment

The fact that people like specific things at your show so much that they complained when those things were changed means you must be doing something right! You could always rotate some of the "classic" scares back in after a few years. Keep em guessing!
        Last edited by Dark Tiki Studios; 03-29-2013, 11:34 PM.
        Haunt: DARK REALMS

Day job: Game Composer/Sound Designer

My "geek rock" band: Legendary nOObs

Comment

I heard that the old car that ran over the outhouse was once a way out of the tunnels. Not the one near the front door. What is the basement and what are the tunnels is easy to confuse.

I'll bet there is lots of talking and sharing in the real world and things get blown out of proportion when they are shared from one person to the next and 10 stories later it is something completely different or merged with what must have happened somewhere else or thought must have happened somewhere.

People make statements because they don't know how to ask a direct question. Interpreting what is in their minds and the difference between sharing a story and asking a question might take an ice pick to sort out. That would make the show even another half hour or so longer. Now it is time to get the right conversation for the enjoyment of the whole group. The talker usually has perhaps told the group he was with this imaginary tale and here it is not here after all? Damn.

At one charity haunt I watched a guy working the door tell the patrons their haunt is great, and relatively professional and some even have many floors and you can get your money back, you have to put up $100 and he did it! So he is just a complete liar and prehaps feels important but the bottom line is that he is too stupid to say hello so he makes shit up. It isn't in the form of a question, it is a plain statement and you can believe it or not. Or can you believe he believes what is in his head that he has told so many times that he now actually believes this happened?
          sigpic

Another fabulous post from the U.S.Department of Wild Imaginings, now in spectaclar stereo, sponsored by the Adhesives and Sealants Council, suggesting ways to stick things together since the 1800s. Not fabulous in a gay way. Your results may vary. Illinois residents add 8% sales tax. These posts have been made by professional post makers, do not try this type of posting on your own without extensive training, lovely assistants and a trusty clown horn.

Comment

They are experiencing false memories, which is a problem people sometimes have in legal situations involving trauma. Someone is in a fight, or an accident, and they "remember" things that didn't really happen, because their minds (and imaginations) were working on overdrive. It is a compliment to your craft. You must have really engaged their imaginations to get that kind of response.

I'm proud to say we get some of that as well, especially when it involves older memories (we've been doing this for 15 years.) All they really remember is that they were SCARED, the details they fill in with whatever. It may even be stuff they dreamed about in nightmares but they now attribute to having happened at our haunt (which, ironically, was once named "Nightmares.") I never argue with them about it. I just say, "there are many strange things that happen here which we cannot explain. That's why we get the place so cheap!" I love hearing their memories, as it brings back many memories of my own. I'm often amazed about the details they DO remember correctly, stuff we had but I forgot about completely. We had one teenager who worked for us who first came as a kid when we opened (in 1999) and he could tell you every single room and every single effect. It was like listening to a video recorder. He now wants to be in theater and I think we are partially to blame.

But the false memories are even more fun. Giant Robots (we had giant monsters on stilts, but never robots), basement tours (we had a helevator, but no basement), and blood thrown on everyone (it wasn't blood-- that would have stained)... It sounds even more crazy than it actually was. But it was real in one regard: That's what they remember, and if you think you saw a UFO, then as far as you are concerned, it's real because you saw it-- and you shouldn't let anyone else talk you out of it. (After all, if you can't trust yourself, who can you trust?)
            www.TerrorOfTallahassee.com

Comment

Working...
            X