Dust

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dust

I want to say that I have seen "dust in a can" sold at the convention before but I have no idea who sells it. I want to make furniture look dusty, does anyone have any tips?

Thanks in advance!

Originally posted by hauntedjack View Post
    I want to say that I have seen "dust in a can" sold at the convention before but I have no idea who sells it. I want to make furniture look dusty, does anyone have any tips?

Thanks in advance!

Hi Jack!
    I've been using Elmer's Craft Glue Spray and cement mix. Just get a bag of the cheapest cement you can find at Home Depot, Lowe's, or any hardware store. First try it on a small area on the piece you're working on, maybe the back. Spray a little of the glue on, then using a chip brush dust the area with some of the cement. It takes a little practice, and it works best to concentrate on a smaller area at a time. You can build layers up if you want to.

I have yet to get any of the pieces I've done wet! So I'm not sure whether or not the glued-on cement would turn slushy/muddy/cement-y if it got wet. So keep an eye on that. I would say just be careful not to get the piece wet at first, until everything has dried.

Another option that I've heard of is painting the prop first with watered down acrylic / acrylic latex paint, then dusting some Quikrete Vinyl Concrete Patcher on it when it is still wet. The Quikrete costs a bit more than a bag of regular old cement, but it is not too bad for a 6 lb. bucket. This method would not work as well on furniture such as sofas or stuffed chairs of course, but it would probably work well on tables, desks and such.

Either method is fun to experiment with, anyway!

Mark
    Last edited by Wolfman13; 04-01-2013, 05:19 PM.

Comment

In movies we used Fullers Earth. We would put it in a sock and one person would bang the sock against their palm and another would use a hair drier to blow it around. Fullers Earth is like tan chalk dust so I guess you could use that too. If you want it to stay in place just use some spray glue and it will stick where you want.
      Phatman

Comment

Originally posted by austind View Post
        In movies we used Fullers Earth. We would put it in a sock and one person would bang the sock against their palm and another would use a hair drier to blow it around. Fullers Earth is like tan chalk dust so I guess you could use that too. If you want it to stay in place just use some spray glue and it will stick where you want.
        I've heard of Fuller's Earth, too. But could never figure out where to get it. Can one find it without having to buy it online?
        Last edited by Wolfman13; 04-01-2013, 05:25 PM.

Comment

Wow, you really want to add dust to things? I know Disney supposedly does in the Haunted Mansion, but honestly, I try to keep things clean and dust free. I don't think dust is really ever good to breath, why introduce dirt into your haunt?

Just my own opinion, but I honestly don't think dust is a detail that needs to be focused on, many better areas to spread some TLC.

If you want dust, just add some dirt to your haunt walkway, it will powderize and disperse everywhere in short order. Fun. Fun. And you can pick black boogers out of your nose every night.

That said, cheap cat litter is often Fuller's earth.

Comment

Gray primer spray paint. Spray it in the air and allow it to settle on what you want dusty. It is such a fine spray that it dries on the way down, it takes a bit of practice to get it to land where you want, sometimes the landing area for the right effect is 10+ feet away.
            I hope this helps.
            Allen H
            www.Stiltbeaststudios.com
            http://www.youtube.com/user/Stiltbea...s?feature=mhee

Comment

Allen's technique

although I would also suggest white or tan spray paint.

Comment

Heres an option

Have it near a dusty gravel road?! LOL! Authentic, no costs and applys itself in minutes. Haha! No Ive heard the concrete method works great!
                www.frightmasters.weebly.com
                Damon Carson

Comment

Quikrete Vinyl Concrete Patcher

Originally posted by Wolfman13 View Post
                  Hi Jack!

Another option that I've heard of is painting the prop first with watered down acrylic / acrylic latex paint, then dusting some Quikrete Vinyl Concrete Patcher on it when it is still wet. The Quikrete costs a bit more than a bag of regular old cement, but it is not too bad for a 6 lb. bucket. This method would not work as well on furniture such as sofas or stuffed chairs of course, but it would probably work well on tables, desks and such.

Mark

we also use Quikrete Vinyl Concrete Patcher cause the mix is so fine like powder..... but we just take hand fulls and blow it on, or a fine sive, after we just wet the object down with a spray bottle of water.....it sticks like dust ....and if it is near high traffic areas we just mist it over so it gets hard and people cant write there names and stuff in the dust.....so its wet.....dust.....mist....easy as thatsome times we litely use a chip brush and get it level spots they may have to much. and once its dry you can move the object around without getting finger marks on it. and we've pretty much have tried it on everything ....sometimes it work on cloth :mrgreen:

Comment

everyone has their own way of doing it but they all seem similar. i use a can of 3m spray adhesive to cover the area. then i use portland, and a hair dryer to spread it. then as someone already mentioned, you can go back and add layers in certain places. After the cement is on i lightly spray it all down with 3m to lock down the top coat.I have even used this method on spider webs wile the webs are still wet.

Comment

Originally posted by wipp View Post
                      everyone has their own way of doing it but they all seem similar. i use a can of 3m spray adhesive to cover the area. then i use portland, and a hair dryer to spread it. then as someone already mentioned, you can go back and add layers in certain places. After the cement is on i lightly spray it all down with 3m to lock down the top coat.I have even used this method on spider webs wile the webs are still wet.
                      THATS BECAUSE YOUR AWESOME AND YOU HAVE A FUNNY SMELL ABOUT YOU.....OINK!:twisted:

Comment

lol kev. leave my pig outta this

Comment

Working...
                        X