Attention Michigan Haunts...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Attention Michigan Haunts...

Did you see what your democrats are trying to do... why do idiots in this state always vote democrat for President??? LOL

Thank God you have enough Republicans who will hopefully shoot this down. Raising the wage to 10 bucks will do nothing but drive up the wage for everyone and simply driving up prices of everything from hamburgers to everything else you buy. Raising the wage will also drive jobs out of your state while at the same time causing layoffs or cutting hours. This is bad all around the board... you need to contact your local leaders and express your feelings about being a small business and forced to pay tons more for labor.

Read here... http://www.businessweek.com/ap/2013-...-to-10-an-hour

THIS IS BAD FOR SMALL BUSINESS! Democrats do this thinking they will win over minority votes, and claim it gives people a shot at a better life... hogwash! It doesn't... everyone just raises prices, so you see no wage increase, furthermore small business just lays off people. There is NO benefit especially to a business that needs tons of labor like a haunted house.

Larry
    Larry Kirchner
    President
    www.HalloweenProductions.com
    www.BlacklightAttractions.com
    www.HauntedHouseSupplies.com
    www.HauntedHouseMagazine.com

Don't worry Larry we have a republican controlled state. But I will say this that it might as well be $10 because even McDonald's is paying that right now here. We just passed a little bit ago right to work laws and the unions had a fit over that but we got it passed. Why unions think they should have more say in things is beyond me they are only 17% of the work force in Michigan and a lot of people need jobs here. I am not against unions or even a higher minimum wage, I just think when a minority group has control of the majority that may not be what is best for a state. Hey did you here Obama did his taxes and made over $600,000 last year and only paid 18% tax on that. What happened to practice what you preach. Biden had a total of $2500 in charitable donations and $2000 was in clothes to good will. He makes way more than me and I donated triple what he did.
    Phatman

Comment

Exactly! Are you saying you pay actors less then 10.00. I have been paying that since 07....

Stew

Comment

Wait, did you say the price of Hamburgers are going up? This world ain't worth living in anymore.

On the political side I wouldn't make it seem like Republicans exist to right the wrongs done by the democrats, they both are equally destructive and need to go.

Also Phatman you said you don't like a minority controlling the majority well that's America these days. Just try to say something negative about a minority group or LGBT group and you'll lose your job, organize boycotts with the help of the media and they'll ruin your life. It's no longer about equality it's about control and its been handed over everyone except those that built and maintained this great country.

DA
        Last edited by Darkangel; 04-13-2013, 06:52 AM.

Comment

Its not about how much you pay your people its about with your wages would jump nearly 3 bucks this will have a ripple effect... people making 10 want more, small business will lay off people, or cut hours, prices for everything go up... it will hurt small business.

Period! I don't think going to a haunted house is on the top of most peoples agenda when they struggle to find work this will impact your business on every single level!

Larry
          Larry Kirchner
          President

Comment

Yeah we shall see what happens. We pay are actors $7.50 an hour right now.
            ~Bill Mlinac
            The Deadland Haunted House
            www.facebook.com/Deadlandhauntedhouse
            www.Thedeadland.comsigpic

Comment

Darn Larry...

..it just isn't as much fun when we agree on a forum thread 100%. I'm Michigan...and I pay $10 an hour. But I got a great bunch and I want to keep them... they have become a 2nd family to me. Those who are here all day in corn maze before shifting to haunt at night eat a farm dinner with me at my dining room table (ok so we do it in shifts but we eat together around the big table none the less)

Glad we have a big nerd for Governor.

Wicked farmer

Comment

Point 1. Most good haunts in Michigan have been paying their employees over minimum wage for a long time. However, the highest paid actor for me was $10.00 an hour. On the low end you may have a couple newbies or lesser actors at minimum wage, the rest, are being paid 8 or 9 bucks an hour. A lot of Michigan haunts are mostly volunteer which allows room to pay the best actors a bit more than some others.

Point 2. Sadly, I know of several MI haunts that do not pay any taxes and pay their actors under the table which I think was the norm up until about 10 years ago. I even know of one that pays their actors only in gift certificates and prizes. She does not care if they quit or if they are any good. She survives on gimmicks and having a large detailed haunt. So, the haunts that still operate this way, are not effected at all by payroll because they are not paying out any taxes in the first place.

Point 3. Michigan haunts took a huge hit last year for many reasons. I think you would have a very hard time finding a haunt owner that could look you in the face and say that they had a good season last year. If they do, they are lying. In fact, the last two years I think most of them would say were the worste they have ever had. Nobody is coming out to haunts in this area anymore. They cannot afford the ticket prices. I have convinced a couple haunts to lower their prices this year and hopefully bring in more customers by not gouging them. I pray that works or I fear that our industry here will not survive much longer.

Warning! Michigan haunts had better reevaluate how they operate their attractions before it's too late. OK, off my soap box now,
                1986-1997 (Mutilation Mansion,) 1998 (Screamers Haunted House,) 1999 (Evil Intention Haunted House,) 2000-2001 Concept Creator/Business Partner (Urban Legends Haunted House,) 2002 Floor Plan Designer and Consultant for a (Haunted Barn) Owners had city challenges & were never able to open, 2002 Floor Plan Designer/Construction (Fright Nights Haunted House) 2003-2012 Now retired Owner (Deadly Intentions Haunted Attraction)

Comment

The Problems

First off Howie, please don't state your opinion as fact... So much of what you said is not factual.

The problem here in Michigan and I am sure other states is too many haunts and less money to be able to support them by consumers in our market. The problem is not going away, and the ones that will thrive are the ones that adapt to the new breed of consumer.

Comment

Karen,

I would like to know one point I made that is not true? I have owned or been in charge of haunts for almost 27 years now and know almost every haunt owner personally in the state. Several of which I speak to on a weekly or bi-weekly basis.

Everything I stated is my own opinion of course, however that is true with most posts on this web site. I do not post anything that I know to be untruthful.

I know you have clung to many haunts in Michigan for a long time. And even throw your hat into the picture when you think it makes you look good but, can you remind me which haunt you have ever owned or when the last time you financially put your own but on the line in this industry?

Just because you have a few friends in the industry and you don't like everything I say or do because it might reflect negatively on one of those friends, is no reason to be bitter and try to bash me or my opinions. Most people on this forum have the sense to make up their own minds and not try to call out others on the board. That is what private messaging is about. Oh yes, I am a hypocrite for doing the same thing just now, but I am sick of people so simply dismissing what I say, I have the track record to back me up how about you?
                    1986-1997 (Mutilation Mansion,) 1998 (Screamers Haunted House,) 1999 (Evil Intention Haunted House,) 2000-2001 Concept Creator/Business Partner (Urban Legends Haunted House,) 2002 Floor Plan Designer and Consultant for a (Haunted Barn) Owners had city challenges & were never able to open, 2002 Floor Plan Designer/Construction (Fright Nights Haunted House) 2003-2012 Now retired Owner (Deadly Intentions Haunted Attraction)

Comment

Michigan has a super majority of Repubs like Indiana

What did you pay when you started and what was your ticket price?
                      What was minimum wage at that time?

How much has each increased? Who is further ahead?

Here is some info from the labor dept. It was ten years before the last increase from 1997 to 2007 with two auto increases. Now it has been four years again with no increase.

Apr 1, 1990 $3.80

Apr 1, 1991 $4.25

Oct 1, 1996 $4.75

Sep 1, 1997 $5.15

Jul 24, 2007 $5.85

Jul 24, 2008 $6.55

Jul 24, 2009 $7.25

Bottom line is much of the same target demographic that the minumum wage helps is our customer base. Many kids are living at home and can spend money on haunts like movies, games, and misc. How many haunts out there were down last year?

***** The fact is that many haunts have priced themselves out of reach of many of their customers as discussed on another thread.

As some haunts have said, they pay more than minimum already. Maybe those that are paying exactly minimum are getting what they are paying for?
                      Brett Molitor (aka ~ JamBam) Member of HAA

Haunted Hotel-13th Floor (est by Huntington Jaycees in 1968 8) )
                      Longest running Haunted House in the WORLD!!

Hysterium Haunted Asylum (old Haunted Cave), Fort Wayne Indiana

Hysterium Escapes - 4 rooms with 3 themes

www.HauntedHuntington.com

www.facebook.com/hauntedhotel

www.Hysterium.com

www.facebook.com/HysteriumFtWayne

www.hysteriumescapes.com

www.facebook.com/hysteriumescapes

sigpic

Comment

Great question and I hope everyone answers... here is a guess from me.

Apr 1, 1990 $3.80 $10.00

Apr 1, 1991 $4.25

Oct 1, 1996 $4.75 $13.00

Sep 1, 1997 $5.15 $13.00

Jul 24, 2007 $5.85 $15.00

Jul 24, 2008 $6.55 20.00

Jul 24, 2009 $7.25 20.00

Those are simply educated guess.

Jul 24, 2009 $7.25
                        Larry Kirchner
                        President

Comment

Thats simple for me

All years haunt has been open for last 10 years.... $10 & $10.

Wicked farmer

Comment

Working...
                          X