No announcement yet.

work on the haunt today here some image

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Jake, I can get you into the top 7 but you have to pretend you never heard my name before.
    sigpic

Another fabulous post from the U.S.Department of Wild Imaginings, now in spectaclar stereo, sponsored by the Adhesives and Sealants Council, suggesting ways to stick things together since the 1800s. Not fabulous in a gay way. Your results may vary. Illinois residents add 8% sales tax. These posts have been made by professional post makers, do not try this type of posting on your own without extensive training, lovely assistants and a trusty clown horn.

Comment

You should take the snake out of the cage and put it on a string off a branch. Have the cage broke open like something escaped.

Comment

I have to agree with Allen on this one, sorta:
        If you're going to do that particular motif mud, then do it well. Layer the scenes to make it seem much "deeper" of a feeling than it actually is.... I understand this is a work in progress, but I think some people (including myself) want to see more than a "broad daylight" photo.

A night or dusk shot would help to reduce the feeling of cheesy and increase the feeling of vagueness...

Just a thought.

Comment

I agree with scary bill, it is possible to have fun at a $6 haunt. I run a school haunt twice a year on a zero to $50 budget that is mostly actor drivin. The younger crowd is a severely untapped market. We bring in quite a chunk of change for my department. It's fun for the kids and families and it doesn't take much to get them scared, lol.

Originally posted by scary bill View Post
          Do we listen to what is being said? This is a joke. Every one has thier own tastes, some like cheesey, some like very detailed. If you look out there it is amazing how much FUN you can have at a $6 haunt. Do you expect the same as a $20 haunt, no. I help with a small non profit haunt. Our props suck, we have alot of bad actors, but we still do a good buisness(5-6000/year) We do have a lot of repete customers, we found our nitch. Some are disappointed, but as a whole they enjoy it. We have some good actors that preform well, yes I have witnessed wet pants on customers.
          I think we should encourage, not discourage. BIGGER DOES NOT MEAN BETTER It sounds as though the big haunt guys here are saying how bad this is and it should be shut down, why, are you worried that people will find this as scary as your mega priced haunt. There is room for all kinds of haunts, kind of the same with any buisness.

As for the old school statement, I would be proud to classified old school. I still remeber back to the old Jaycee haunts, heavy on the cheese, but some of the best most fun I had. I look at it this way, most of our customers seem to have fun, and that is where it is at.

Just my opinion
          Dr. Saw @ Terrorplex

Comment

Originally posted by Marr Branch View Post
            Who know's maybe it is bad ass in the dark..
            That's was my point too... Tough to really judge how things will look until you see it complete, and in show lighting.

I also think it takes guts to post pictures on this forum that don't look like The Darkness. Between this forum, the magazine, and the Travel Channel, we see A LOT of coverage of the 10-20 haunts with the highest operating budgets in the country. We see them over, and over, and over. I've only been to one of them in-person, yet I can name every one by heart. And they ARE truly awesome and awe inspiring... But they only represent the top end of the industry. Every town's summer carnival can't be Disney. Every band can't be the Beatles. Every haunt can't be Headless Horseman. Nor should they.

I've been skulking around these forums for years, but I've never dared to post a single photo of anything I've created, because I know it will be held up for comparison against the ultra-budget mega props that populate the richest haunts (that are constantly celebrated here). I say kudos to Mud for keeping it real, and posting pics of his real haunt!
            Haunt: DARK REALMS

Day job: Game Composer/Sound Designer

My "geek rock" band: Legendary nOObs

Comment

Tiki some of the people here can take things in the context they are ment. Allen shows on his YouTube page that it dose not take deep pockets to make nice props. I am a Big tech type of guy but I love YouTube Wednesday. I don't know any body who looks at a home haunter and thinks it should look like the Darkness, I watch a lot of home haunter videos to get a different perspective. It is all about taking things in context, Mud keep working everyone has to start somewhere, I heard that your trail was just woods last year, now you are adding some detail and that is what you in this industry you build on the previous year and keep going.
              Phatman

Comment

I don't want to beat a dead horse here but this isn't about Mud its in response to some of the comments saying the big budget vs no budget haunts and who has better actors.

I have been to many low budget haunts, and many big budget ones. The best actors I find are not in low budget haunts that is a fact. Most low budget haunts do not have money to pay actors so they usually rely on family members and friends or use whoever they can get to volunteer from the charity or cause. Sure, some are good by nature and can surprise you some are energetic and perfect! But the VAST majority of actors at these types of haunts are kids, sometimes as young as under 10. Not being able to afford professional costumes and a silicone mask is ok, but you see that no thought or creativity goes into to many costumes at these haunts. No big budget haunt would allow for white sneakers, skin showing, and brand name logos on the clothing. Sure it does happen but not very often.

Also for those alluding to low budget haunts being scary and actors better did you ever consider the notion that the actors are necessarily better but you just notice the actors more because they are right out in the open with no detailed sets to distract you? They are built for low throughput so they can spend more time talking to you (which by the way gets annoying) where big haunts need to do quick hit scares because they have to move through more people. Many big haunts have experienced actors where if you took them out and inserted them in a low budget haunt they'd kill it much more effectively.

I'm just saying its not that the actors are better at a low budget haunt per se it's just you pay more attention to them.

DA

Comment

Good Job Everyone. You scared the poor guy away. He was proud of his start.....He has not posted since........

Stew

Comment

MudSticky hey man Im sure you know but if not Lighting is KEY!!! I dont know what you use but here is a good Idea. The best is the LEDs from dark light.....But if you cant afford that then the silver round light things from lowes and the colored flood lights work Great. You will find when you put them up they put off a bit to much light. what you need to do is have your sets in place. then turn on your red..blue yellow ect. lights on, then use any color spray paint to darken it down to get the right dimness. spray right on the light a little at a time. keep checking the set to make sure you dont over do it. Be sure to do it as soon as you cut it on cause if you let the light get hot and then spray cold paint on it the light will bust and your out of a $7-$8 light. you can have great light in any place for about $10
                    BLOOD, GUTS AND GORE!
                    www.horrorfields.com

Comment

Originally posted by Darkangel View Post
                      When did anyone say animations are scary? They are a distraction and adds production value. Are you saying this haunt here would be scarier than one with animations? Do you think great actors will be working here? Please give one example in the top 25 rated haunts that do not use animations and builds detailed sets? It is no surprise the best haunts with best actors also have great sets and lots of animatronics.

No one is trying to put mud down but his work is not up to the standards set by this industry over the past few decades. As Howie said it is embarrassing to have it shown on a forum supposedly of pros. To think otherwise is ridiculous.

DA
                      DA where did I say that haunts with animatronics aren't scary? I said that you don't NEED them to be scary. And yes I have seen GREAT actors work at low budget haunts. And some really bad ones at High budget haunts. I agree a well detail haunt is the way to go, but I was unaware that there were "standards" set out. Bottom line is that you don't need to put down ANYONE. Advice is one thing but this was down right mean. And no, his photos were not embarrassing, certainly not to me. He was trying to show off a bit what he did.
                      And I was unaware that this forum was for professional haunt owners only. Interesting. Why don't we just post if your haunt not up to what we think is par for our site we will trash you!

Sorry, I usually stay pretty quiet on this forum but this just got to me.
                      http://darkscares.com/

sigpic

Comment

And for all of those who were polite and gave Mud helpful advice....You are what these forums should be about.

sigpic

Comment

Dark,
                          "Also for those alluding to low budget haunts being scary and actors better did you ever consider the notion that the actors are necessarily better but you just notice the actors more because they are right out in the open with no detailed sets to distract you? They are built for low throughput so they can spend more time talking to you (which by the way gets annoying) where big haunts need to do quick hit scares because they have to move through more people."
                          ***You are speaking on a matter of taste and preference and representing as if it is fact. I hate onions, but I cant say that "onions are terrible and recipies that contain onions suck". You think actors that talk are annoying so you seem to think everyone feels the same. That is not the case, many haint customers prefer acors who talk. I see what you are saying and I understand the points you are trying to make, But I dont agree with your opions. My experience (and taste) is largely opposite from yours it seems- The difference is I dont think you are wrong because you have different taste.
                          I went through 70+ haunts last year as well as worked my own, There were good actors in the small and big shows alike.
                          Allen H
                          www.Stiltbeaststudios.com
                          http://www.youtube.com/user/Stiltbea...s?feature=mhee

Comment

Actors - and my quick opinion-

Here is my quick thoughts on actors - Our haunt is not HUGE....and we aren't small either - all of our actors are volunteers, 90% of them do it because they have fun and enjoy scaring the hell out of people - the other 10% are friends that may have heard about it and wanted to give it a try....some are good.....some are bad...and some will get better.

My volunteers do it for the love of haunting and it shows - and yes half of them are younger around 16-19 but I have also had a few younger actors, some as young as 10-11 years old....and ya know what they scared the hell out of people. I constantly overheard people talking about how creepy the kids were.

I have been to a number of larger haunts, and smaller haunts - In my experience the larger haunts are awesome to look at and they are fun, they have paid actors....and guess what, the haunt is pushing so many people through back to back that those "paid" great actors have enough time to pop out....yell something...and get back - and most of them the only reason they are there is they are getting paid to do it.

I would much rather have volunteers that are there because they love doing it than have paid actors that are only there for a check.

I love both styles of haunts....I enjoy the small haunted trails put on by schools and other groups because it reminds me of why I love the fall, Halloween, and the magic of it all - I also like the bigger haunts because I enjoy the feeling of walking through a "Haunted" house like you see in movies - is it scary...not to me but I still enjoy it.

To this day one of the best scares I can remember is good old Jim Warfield at Raven's Grin in.....he managed to get me really good with a damn black plastic bag - I was walking by a large glass window and it had black plastic hanging on the other side and I was staring at the plastic trying to see behind it and he slammed it against the window...made me jump back and let out a noise - it was the first thing that had made me jump in a haunt in probably 10 years. So remember sometimes it's the simple things that can really get someone, and I think the reason why is so many haunt visitors have become used to animatronics and other "industry" standards.

Comment

Originally posted by Allen H View Post
                              Dark,
                              "Also for those alluding to low budget haunts being scary and actors better did you ever consider the notion that the actors are necessarily better but you just notice the actors more because they are right out in the open with no detailed sets to distract you? They are built for low throughput so they can spend more time talking to you (which by the way gets annoying) where big haunts need to do quick hit scares because they have to move through more people."
                              ***You are speaking on a matter of taste and preference and representing as if it is fact. I hate onions, but I cant say that "onions are terrible and recipies that contain onions suck". You think actors that talk are annoying so you seem to think everyone feels the same. That is not the case, many haint customers prefer acors who talk. I see what you are saying and I understand the points you are trying to make, But I dont agree with your opions. My experience (and taste) is largely opposite from yours it seems- The difference is I dont think you are wrong because you have different taste.
                              I went through 70+ haunts last year as well as worked my own, There were good actors in the small and big shows alike.
                              Allen H
                              Allen, I have great respect for you. You are one of those people on all the forums that always go out of their way to help everyone big or small.

I guess I am not getting out my point on this subject not out well, because I am overly upset about some of the comments made that I thought were rude about a poor guy who was trying to show off his haunt. I think we agree more than you think. This is not about my personal tastes or opinions. We own a medium 15,000 sf haunt, we detail our rooms to the max, we use animatronics ourselves. We have 2 hour waits. I have nothing against that. I am not dissing one or the other. I guess my point was that there are great top haunts, and there are great small haunts. I have been to lots. There are good and bad actors in both as you said, and in my opinion there is a place for both. I just do not think that one brings down the other. We are 10 times the haunt we were 4 years ago. It was the notion that big haunts are ALWAYS better that got me going, and that Mud was somehow an embarrassment to the industry. Everyone starts somewhere.
                              I let my emotions get the better of me when I shouldn't have.

Jerilyn
                              Last edited by Dark Scares; 04-24-2013, 01:51 PM.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by austind View Post
                                Tiki some of the people here can take things in the context they are ment. Allen shows on his YouTube page that it dose not take deep pockets to make nice props. I am a Big tech type of guy but I love YouTube Wednesday. I don't know any body who looks at a home haunter and thinks it should look like the Darkness, I watch a lot of home haunter videos to get a different perspective. It is all about taking things in context, Mud keep working everyone has to start somewhere, I heard that your trail was just woods last year, now you are adding some detail and that is what you in this industry you build on the previous year and keep going.
                                First... I don't want to tick you off, AustinD... You're a fellow Michigander!

To be clear, I am not knocking The Darkness, or any mega-budget haunt [I also said nothing about mega haunt actors vs other haunt actors... I wouldn't touch that one with a 10 foot pole, ha ha!] Here in Michigan, Erebus is the mega-haunt that gets all the attention. It is a riot, and I go almost every year. Parts of it are quite inspiring. I do think the mega haunts get an unequal amount of coverage, but I suppose that is to be expected. I was also speaking on a more personal level, about how I have never felt comfortable posting my work on the HW forums, because I feel it would be found lacking compared to the mega-haunt props and sets that often appear here. And I commend Mud for not being a coward like me. Hopefully he wasn't scared away by some of the bickering his post inspired. Most of it was about topics far beyond his haunt. In a way, it's great, because it inspired a lively discussion among a group of people who are all passionate about what they do. I just hope Mud didn't get scared-off in the process.

In my opinion, I don't think I've seen a straight-up "troll" in these forums in quite a while... Just a bunch of haunters with varied opinions, who are all passionate about haunting. And that is pretty awesome!
                                Haunt: DARK REALMS

Day job: Game Composer/Sound Designer

My "geek rock" band: Legendary nOObs

Comment

Working...
                                X