No announcement yet.

Flash Intro Needed -

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sweet.. I got to get my butt on it too. I have had it since it released but with our move its been on the back burner. Site looks great and you have absolute control!

Comment

You can't go wrong with Rogues Hollow Productions. They've done lots of sites/flash for attractions in the industry.

Comment

Someone correct me if I'm wrong as I'm not a professional web designer by any means, but my experience is if your looking to get the most results and search engine optimization out of your website I wouldn't use flash over your entire page. Flash doesn't offer much of any html content for search engines to crawl and log. So if your home page is all flash the bots will never sweep the rest of your site. They will just scroll over it, log very little (probably just the title) and move on elsewhere. Flash in the headers of sites seem to be ok because there's other content on the page to crawl. You want them to crawl your site as much as possible in order to get the most of search engines when someone is trying to find you online. The url posted earlier is awesome because the video is embed in the site instead of being an entire flash intro, therefore still offering html content for search engines to read and continue through the rest of your site. Same goes for pictures on your site. Rename your pics before you upload them, avoid "image_123456" and name the picture to work with your attraction in case the media wants to use your pictures on their sites. It will help extend your name even further online. Also, remember to alt text pictures too so when people search for your attraction your pictures will show up in google images, or yahoo images. At the same time, don't name every picture the name of your attraction. Name it what the picture is. The search engines will log anything that's written in html, unless graphics have been alt texted they will pass by those. Just some other things to keep in mind when building your site. Keep it simple, easy to follow for both patrons and search engines. Also, make sure that if there's a page that navigates away from your site that there is link back to your site. There is way more qualified web designers than me on here but this has been my experience. Hope that helps you.
        Daniel Burnett
        PR/Operator
        Reindeer Manor Halloween Park: Est. 1974
        13th Street Morgue/Dungeon Of Doom/Reindeer Manor

sigpic

reindeermanor.com
        whenhingescreak.com

Comment

Cool!

Thanks for the tips on the image names - hadn't really even thought about that.

Comment

Originally posted by MorgueofDoom View Post
            Someone correct me if I'm wrong as I'm not a professional web designer by any means, but my experience is if your looking to get the most results and search engine optimization out of your website I wouldn't use flash over your entire page. Flash doesn't offer much of any html content for search engines to crawl and log. So if your home page is all flash the bots will never sweep the rest of your site. They will just scroll over it, log very little (probably just the title) and move on elsewhere. Flash in the headers of sites seem to be ok because there's other content on the page to crawl. You want them to crawl your site as much as possible in order to get the most of search engines when someone is trying to find you online. The url posted earlier is awesome because the video is embed in the site instead of being an entire flash intro, therefore still offering html content for search engines to read and continue through the rest of your site. Same goes for pictures on your site. Rename your pics before you upload them, avoid "image_123456" and name the picture to work with your attraction in case the media wants to use your pictures on their sites. It will help extend your name even further online. Also, remember to alt text pictures too so when people search for your attraction your pictures will show up in google images, or yahoo images. At the same time, don't name every picture the name of your attraction. Name it what the picture is. The search engines will log anything that's written in html, unless graphics have been alt texted they will pass by those. Just some other things to keep in mind when building your site. Keep it simple, easy to follow for both patrons and search engines. Also, make sure that if there's a page that navigates away from your site that there is link back to your site. There is way more qualified web designers than me on here but this has been my experience. Hope that helps you.
            Everything you said is spot on and correct. If you site is flash, then SEO will skip it because it can't read the text or images in the site. I've said it once, I'll say it again, Flash is going the way of the dinosaur. Use a developer that can code with HTML 5 standards.
            News and event coverage from directly inside the Haunt Industry - http://www.hauntersdigest.com
            Get a Website and/or Mobile App for Your Attraction - http://www.charlesterry.com

Comment

Getting there -

So spent a few more hours last night working on the website with Adobe Muse - The site still has some tweaks that need to be done, and some new additions will be added once we get our new photos & video shot for this years event.

Here is where it is at right now: www.evernighthaunt.com

Any feedback is appreciated - it is still a work in progress but it's getting there.

Comment

Hey Joe,

I just checked the link from my phone, and I didn't see an intro page (I didn't know if you had one but since that was the topic it's what I thought the link was too and wast sure if my phone skipped it lol).

I like the main page, I really do, simple is MUCH better, you know it needs a bit more detail but the simple layout was VERY iPhone friendly, which is obviously HUGE now, (let's face it, more people see you from their phone than from their laptops now anyway).

It may look different on a laptop, but the ONLY negative thing I noticed about the site was the very top banner/rectangle that says "4 Attractions- 1 Location". I absolutely could not read that font that says that and had to zoom in on it to see what it said, and that's a HUGE thing to advertise and point out, yeah it's a cool creepy font but if that doesn't translate clearly onto a phone....how am I supposed to know? Maybe you could alter that to a more clear font, but other than that, I love it!

Comment

Thanks -

Thanks for letting me know how it handled on a phone - We skipped doing the flash intro after hearing everyone's thoughts on it - So the page you saw was the intro.

I will definitely change the font for the area you said was hard to read - The page has not been optimized at all for phones or tablets....that's the part I am tackling next since Adobe Muse allows you to create a phone version as well as a tablet version of the site

We will be adding some new pictures to the site for backgrounds once we get our photographer to take some new teaser photos, and the intro video will hopefully be replaced with a "preview trailer" for this years attraction.

Thanks again for giving your feedback I appreciate it!

Comment

Anytime, it's coming out really good Joe, can't wait to see the finished site!

All the best buddy!

Comment

Working...
                    X