HauntCon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HauntCon

Did anyone attend and what is the results, reports, and everything else. Larry
    Larry Kirchner
    President
    www.HalloweenProductions.com
    www.BlacklightAttractions.com
    www.HauntedHouseSupplies.com
    www.HauntedHouseMagazine.com

I guess no one went! Larry
    Larry Kirchner
    President

Comment

Hauntcon was a decent show. Sales were OK (I did not bring many masks) mostly DVD's. There were few vendors there. I did not mind that though, what that did was make the show about people and classes. I loved that, I met a ton of great people who I have gotten a ton of great ideas from (in whole or part) That will help my show. HauntCon was a good show, I have not been in years aside from this year but i now plan on attending next year.
      Allen H
      www.Stiltbeaststudios.com
      http://www.youtube.com/user/Stiltbea...s?feature=mhee

Comment

Good year for HAuNTcon

Had a great time at HAuNTcon this past week. Just from eyeballing it, attendance definitely seemed up- the tours were packed and lots of the classes were packed as well. It was good to finally get to see the DFW area haunts. The tours are great because it's not just about the "big name" haunts, but we got to see a lot of real solid haunts I'd never heard of that are up there with the best haunts I've seen. Reindeer Manor on Thursday night was awesome, 3 high quality haunts with some real unique effects. Cutting Edge was certainly an interested experience, Hangman's House of Horrors did a lot of cool stuff, also enjoyed the Haunt House. Overall met a lot of great people, learned a lot, saw a lot and I look forward to hearing next year's location.
        Mike Quill
        Fear Town Haunted House

Comment

If Leonard ever wants to make this show work he's going to need marketing, great locations, and engagement. In other words he's got to be willing to go out there and sell the event, we saw not one post from Leonard about this event... I saw nothing anywhere.

Future locations I would consider... Boston / New England area - New York City area - Los Angles

Larry
          Larry Kirchner
          President

Comment

I don't know that I fully agree with your analysis.

The problem is that Leonard is competing with a giant, well financed show. I think most haunt people just hit Transworld and that's it. It's in a usually consistent location so you don't have to hunt down reliable hotels and restaurants and transportation and other diversions, again and again. It is a known commodity. I don't care what city it is in, I can make one show a year unless it is within a couple hours driving distance.

Who, in this economy, has extra money to travel to additional shows? Particularly one happening so close to Transworld's show date. And then MHC is a month after that. Who can take off extra days from work to attend more shows?

What would be an incentive to have a show in Los Angeles? It is the 8th most expensive city to visit in the nation. It's largely a crappy city unless you really, really plan out your stay. Not enough hotels or motels of good quality and price. Hollywood is a dump. No full time standing haunts to visit. Most the beaches suck or have gang issues. Yes, there is Disneyland.

New York is the second most expensive city to visit... Total average daily cost for two people staying in New York: $606.38.

Boston. The 9th most expensive city to visit.

And these are all heavy union states, so Vendors get ripped off setting up shows.

Yeah, Leonard's show needs more marketing. That said no amount of marketing is going to get me to another show.
            Last edited by SAWDUST JONES; 05-01-2013, 11:42 AM.

Comment

Well I guess you didn't totally understand everything I said... every single show that is produced is out there on message boards and anywhere else promoting the show. Leonard does not do this and its FREE! Everywhere TW is marketing their show Hauntcon can afford but they don't. The only thing TW has that Leonard may not have is a huge database but he has one all the same. More can be done and should be done if you want to bring buyers and sellers together. Otherwise skip the tradeshow all together do haunt tours and seminars and call it a day.

As for the cities I choose I don't agree with you... when I say New York that doesn't mean it has to be in NEW YORK it can be in New Jersey or on the outskirts. New York/New Jersey has many major haunts from Headless Horseman to shows in New York City to the Worlds only haunted themed restaurant.

New York area let me clarify... would be #1.

Boston again outskirts or Boston doesn't matter... they have ZILLIONS of haunts in the New England area plus they have Salem MASS the WORLDS only Halloween themed tourist town not far away.

As for LA you have tons of haunt related attractions that you don't even know about but lots to do fun things I might add... one of the worlds top tourist towns.

Larry
              Larry Kirchner
              President

Comment

Larry I liked Dallas for the Haunts we saw but the rest of it could have been any where else. Sawdust as far as competing with TW you are wrong look at MHC they had 4500 people last year and will be over 5000 people this year, they don't have deep pockets but they do sell their show well. (TW did about 6000 this year) I agree that it would be nice to go to New Orleans and as far as vendors the size of the show room would still put us in a hotel so that is not as big a problem with unions. The one thing that Hauntcon has going for it that is that it takes us to new and interesting places every year. Haunts in different places do things just a little different than others so it becomes a learning experience. I do not know if I will go back next year that depends on the venues and where it is located. If its in Atlanta or New Orleans then I will be there just to see some haunt I want to see.
                Phatman

Comment

Originally posted by drfrightner View Post
                  Well I guess you didn't totally understand everything I said... every single show that is produced is out there on message boards and anywhere else promoting the show. Leonard does not do this and its FREE!
                  Larry

The HAuNTcon thread on Hauntforum.com has had over 6000 views and 168 comments since it launched last August. http://www.hauntforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=24

The HAuNTcon thread on Halloweenforum.com has it's own section with over 1000 views since February when it was set up. MHC is the only other con that has it's own section. TW does not even have its own section. http://www.halloweenforum.com/hauntcon/

(Note: Leonard did not start these threads.)

I saw multiple HC posts on FB every day for the past month. Most of them were by HC or Leonard himself. I think the word is getting out on forums, it's just not Leonard posting them. Could he do a better job promoting? Of course he could. Who out there sits back and says "I think I'm doing enough marketing"? Maybe Leonard just doesn't feel he needs to promote on this particular board because everyone here pretty much knows what's going on and how Leonard operates. I could probably count the number of times he's posted here on 1 or 2 hands...
                  http://www.bigscaryshow.com
                  http://www.rabidbadger.org

Comment

Badger I think as far as forums it's ok I just did not see many emails sent to me from HC. I have received tons from MHC and TW so that is the area I think he may be missing. I liked the show I got what I wanted out of it, I would have just like to see more vendors and that comes with higher attendance.
                    Phatman

Comment

Couple things...

One that is my point if its his show he should start threads and keep people informed. He does not... its not about anyone one forum its about any and all forums they have the ability to promote. This is a serious mistake on his part it shows lack of interest on his part, which translates over to vendors or buyers not showing much interest either. MHC which now has tons of people coming does the opposite which just goes to show ... see my point.

I also agree that you can compete with any show if you put forth the effort. We live in a digital world and in that world not much money is needed but effort is ... Hauntcon at least in my opinion shows very little effort. If they want this show to continue they need to put out MAX effort GO ALL OUT which will show potential vendors they are serious about helping them make sales. Just my view point.

Larry
                      Larry Kirchner
                      President

Comment

What I seem to be getting out of this is that Hauntcon didn't promote on these forums therefore they don't put effort into their show. Seems a bit extreme. Whereas those who attended have said that attendance was good. As a marketing person, I do agree that you should get your message out everywhere and anywhere you can, especially using means that are free. But missing one way to get the word out does not imply "little effort".
                        Mike Quill
                        Fear Town Haunted House

Comment

I don't think Transworld has a thread on that forum (hauntforum)
                          because its dominated by home haunters and haunt enthusiasts.

Not many pro haunts of significance post over there.

DA

Comment

Leonard did promote Hauntcon heavily on Twitter. He seems to really be into Twiiter. I wish I could've attended.
                            Haunt: DARK REALMS

Day job: Game Composer/Sound Designer

My "geek rock" band: Legendary nOObs

Comment

Can anyone READ? I said clear as day that I didn't see anything anywhere ... Haunt Forums are for home haunters. Twitter that is a joke no one is following Twitter other than celebs or sports stars. And sorry to be deliver the bad news no one pays attention to facebook either... people only pay attention to their own facebook page. I'm NOT saying because he didn't promote on any one thing I'm saying the sum of everything out there... one guy pointed out that even on the home haunter sites Leonard did NOT start the threads himself it was started by others. As for TW having threads OMG give me a break, you had zillions of people talking about it for months they didn't need to start one. You had everyone from vendors starting threads about new products they are bringing, to Shanes party thread to hundreds more. Hauntcon had no presence at the TW show, very little marketing, and all I'm saying is at the very least he could personally try to promote the show himself for FREE but that wasn't even done. The show is down to almost no vendors and I'm saying they need to get on the ball if this show is going to make it. I think anyone with half a brain would agree with that... only a moron who doesn't understand how to spell cat or dog when it comes to marketing wouldn't agree.

MHC is on the ball, even this EHC or this West Coast thing you hear more about those shows than Hauntcon. I want Hauntcon to succeed but Leonard needs to get off his coach and work harder.

Larry
                              Larry Kirchner
                              President

Comment

Working...
                              X