The Madness (is Coming!)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Madness (is Coming!)

Hello to everyone. First of all, I want to ask the Mods that if this post does not belong here to please relocate it where it does belong or delete it if it doesn't belong at all, 'cause I'm about to drop a shameless plug! and for a good reason. This is a project I've been working on for quite a long time and I think it deserves to be seen.
    The making of this page required all my bag of tricks plus I had to learn a few I didn't know! I am talking about The Madness; A plug-and-play Website template specifically designed for a haunt completely animated, cross-browser, cross-platform and completely ready to be used!

Here's the promo video I came up with for the page, it doubles as a commercial for whatever business or individual who buys it!

And here's the link to the website:

http://redcrowdesign.net/themadness

Any and all criticisms are welcome! Got questions about the making of or the behind the scenes? Please do ask them!
    Last edited by redcrowdesign; 05-07-2013, 08:14 PM.
    http://www.redcrowdesign.net

So is this template geared to asylum type haunts? Trying to see from phone... Sorry.

Comment

Yes, as a matter of a fact it is aimed towards asylum-based haunts. If you are watching it on a phone you are missing 95% of the awesomeness. Even with the iPad version you are not getting more than the 20% of the awesome. View on PC for the full effect.

Comment

Love it!

WOW! Really good job on that piece.
        That must have been a ton of work.
        Well done!
        sigpic
        PEACE, ADAM
        www.poisonprops.com

Comment

Originally posted by redcrowdesign View Post
          If you are watching it on a phone you are missing 95% of the awesomeness. Even with the iPad version you are not getting more than the 20% of the awesome. View on PC for the full effect.
          Just an opinion, but seems silly to invest in something that a majority of people may not see.

More and more people are on their phones, iPhones, iPads, the gamut. I'd think you'd want to further work on compatibility with these platforms.

It's a fantastic piece, don't get me wrong... Just a though/observation.
          Zach Wiechmann
          www.frontyardfright.com

Comment

Originally posted by poison View Post
            WOW! Really good job on that piece.
            That must have been a ton of work.
            Well done!
            Thank you! It was a ton of work, in nearly all the disciplines I know.

Originally posted by Front Yard Fright View Post
            Just an opinion, but seems silly to invest in something that a majority of people may not see.

More and more people are on their phones, iPhones, iPads, the gamut. I'd think you'd want to further work on compatibility with these platforms.

It's a fantastic piece, don't get me wrong... Just a though/observation.
            There is not much you can do for iPads or Smartphones really due to the nature of their inner workings and I still wanted to do something fun, interactive and visually appealing. Mainly 'cause I love eyecandy.
            It is not me who has to work on the compatibility on those platforms, it is them who have to make better operative systems and better resource management and energy sources. I am already working with state-of-the-art technology for the mobile sites. At least the iPad one is fully animated HTML5, which can't be animated to the point flash can. Of course I can work with my programmers to develop an all-compatible cross-platform website that will look the same on all platforms but then again the costs would be prohibitive, not to mention it will take ages to load and it'll run slow-as-hell on smaller devices due to their hardware limitations. Mobile sites look like that for a good reason, and that reason is the software capabilities and the bandwidth of such devices.
            Sadly mobile devices are no fertile ground for cool-looking websites, I think they are rather the death of web aesthetics due to the narrow guidelines you need to follow to make something work on them. However technology is advancing rapidly and I believe that in 2 years tops web design will look way better than it does today on iPads and Smartphones .

Comment

Who did the CGI work on the house and stuff... was that something you bought or created from scratch. Couple thoughts...

1) If you created the cgi house, and camera going through the house you truly have some amazing talent. Great job.

2) The CGI Zombie on the other hand was not very good and didn't look worthy of the rest of the animation. I would have filmed green screen that zombie and added him to the rest of the piece. I think that would have made it a lot better.

Larry
              Larry Kirchner
              President
              www.HalloweenProductions.com
              www.BlacklightAttractions.com
              www.HauntedHouseSupplies.com
              www.HauntedHouseMagazine.com

Comment

Originally posted by drfrightner View Post
                Who did the CGI work on the house and stuff... was that something you bought or created from scratch. Couple thoughts...

1) If you created the cgi house, and camera going through the house you truly have some amazing talent. Great job.

2) The CGI Zombie on the other hand was not very good and didn't look worthy of the rest of the animation. I would have filmed green screen that zombie and added him to the rest of the piece. I think that would have made it a lot better.

Larry
                I actually bought the house and the reception models and only re-processed the textures to customize them and make them look more realistic and professional, adding new layers of realism such as bump mapping, normals, specular, etc. Some textures were made completely from scratch because the model came "naked". I am normally capable of modeling such things from scratch really but since I wanted generic models and this was not a custom job I didn't bother since those were either really cheap or free. Now, for the corridor and padded room I did had a very specific thing in my mind so I did model and textured everything from scratch based on the picture I had in my head. The camera movements and everything else was in fact done by me.

The CGI Zombie is actually green screen footage. And looks like that 'cause I can't afford an actual green screen nor a camera that could shoot at 2000 lines of vertical resolution. All I had was a green cloth, two 500w light sources and a crappy DSL that can only shoot at 720p. So the final footage came out very dark and blurry and I had to do some restoration in post-production. Also, I'm not an actor, so that's probably the why of the bad acting. Also I am flattered that you think that's how a CGI character would look if I did it, sadly it's not the case, I still have to go a long way to do CGI characters look that believable even tho you don't like the way it looks like.
                Here's an example of what I'm really capable of CGI character wise:

Not the best CGI you've ever seen LOL...

Comment

Ohh and the last picture, was in fact CGI LOL. Quite interesting in fact: I just couldn't afford to re-do all the makeup and set the camera and the "green screen" (please notice the giant quotes) to re-shoot the last bit so I used a photograph from that same shoot and then did a live performance, then tracked my facial expressions and movements and added the same deformation to some some photoshopped graphics made with photographs from that same day. It didn't came out very nicely but that's all I had. I've learned my lesson though; Always story-board the crap out of verything! XD

Comment

I was going to say the same thing..pretty cool but, and I hope youre not offended because I believe that may be you, but the character is not very intimidating... anyway to go in and buff him up a bit.

Comment

Originally posted by tonguesandwich View Post
                      I was going to say the same thing..pretty cool but, and I hope youre not offended because I believe that may be you, but the character is not very intimidating... anyway to go in and buff him up a bit.
                      Not offended at all, mate. Not by your comment nor Larry's. I might be disappointed tho, 'cause I thought I could sell the illusion better, but that's about it.
                      I was exactly looking for that, as a matter of a fact... Often an artist can't see the mistakes he makes by himself so I like constructive criticism to improve my technique and do it better the next time.

Now, regarding the intimidating factor... I don't think I can't do much more for it now. I mean, it's out so it'll have to stay that way.

I did buff it up, here's how it looks like without all the digital enhancements:

InsaneGhoul01.jpg

Altho, I must confess that beyond the footage restoration they (the enhancements) really weren't that extensive. All I did was to change the eyes making the sclera dark and the pupils blue and some tonal corrections to make it look a bit more ominous.
                      I did want to make it intimidating to certain point and based my interpretation a little bit on the ghosts from The Devil's Backbone. I think the fail isn't so much the effects but my performance.

Now, for those into makeup, it's the first time I apply a bald cap and one of the few times I actually have the chance to practice LOL so don't criticize just yet (wait til I get some more practice LMAO!), I know it sucks. I made the bald cap from scratch with latex and a styrofoam bust.
                      Last edited by redcrowdesign; 05-08-2013, 05:53 PM.

Comment

Wonderful work...

I have both ipad and iphone and can't stand the limitations... people still use computers ( believe it or not? ) I think of all of the websites today In this industry and most are cookie cutter sites with the only difference being the headers. I think its a great piece if work... and would make a great website.

Id say the animation is still light years ahead of 90% of the sites out there.
                        Armando, that's talent brother!!!

More and more people want everything fast / now but allot if us appreciate the detail...

You've wowed me once again Sir! !

( and for the record... I had to go back to a PC to edit this post because my "smartphone" smart..lol, gave me issues... )

And it's "screw you smartphone again ! "
                        Last edited by maliciousstudios; 05-14-2013, 11:46 PM.
                        "I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I’m not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."

Malicious Studios
                        www.maliciousstudios.com
                        "HORROR FX THAT STICKS TO THE ROOF OF YOUR BRAIN !"
                        http://www.myspace.com/maliciousstudios

Comment

Originally posted by maliciousstudios View Post
                          Wonderful work...

I have both ipad and iphone and can't stand the limitations... people still use computers ( believe it or not? ) I think of all of the websites today In this industry and most are cookie cutter sites with the only difference being the headers. I think its a great piece if work... and would make a great website.

Id say the animation is still light years ahead of 90% of the sites out there.
                          Armando, that's talent brother!!!

More and more people want everything fast / now but allot if us appreciate the detail...

You've wowed me once again Sir! !

( and for the record... I had to go back to a PC to edit this post because my "smartphone" smart..lol, gave me issues... )

And it's "screw you smartphone again ! "
                          Thanks mate, I appreciate the kind words. I honestly can't stand iPads or Smartphones. My wife has one and my mother the other. It goes beyond the limitations that each one possesses, instead of the technology adapting to the existing media, the media adapted to the existing technology and that, in my sincere opinion is causing a de-evolution of the media. And beyond that we are seeing a de-evolution of language as well.
                          In resume, you don't cut the legs of the cadaver to fit it into the casket, you make the casket bigger for the cadaver.
                          Last edited by redcrowdesign; 05-15-2013, 12:45 AM.

Comment

Awesome!

I really liked the beginning. Actually your makeup work and your skull cap to be homemade isn't all that bad! I've seen worse. I love the idea of entering the haunt and how it builds up! Very cool and innovative! You do great work and make wonderful sites! I hope to hire you to do one for me hopefully soon! Thanks for sharing!
                            Damon
                            www.frightmasters.weebly.com
                            Damon Carson

Comment

Originally posted by damon carson View Post
                              I really liked the beginning. Actually your makeup work and your skull cap to be homemade isn't all that bad! I've seen worse. I love the idea of entering the haunt and how it builds up! Very cool and innovative! You do great work and make wonderful sites! I hope to hire you to do one for me hopefully soon! Thanks for sharing!
                              Damon
                              www.frightmasters.weebly.com
                              Thank you, Damon. I'm glad you liked it and thanks for thinking in ReDCroW design when thinking about web design. Just to put the idea out there, Damon. Right now we have discounts in TV/YouTube commercials and visual FX, in case you are interested too.

Comment

Working...
                              X