Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any word from National Haunters Convention?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any word from National Haunters Convention?

How did it go? Attendance up or down? Any new and cool vendors? Any vendors have success stories I've heard less about NHC than I have Hauntcon.

DA

Nhc

The tradeshow floor was pretty big

photo 1.JPG

Saw some really cool/unique "Dolls" from Dark Creation - Really eye-catching, first time I've seen them.

Face1_NHC.png

Face2_NHC.png

Face3_NHC.png
    sigpic

___Lee George / 215.525.1300 x129 / LeeGeorge@TicketLeap.com

Comment

For someone who lives that close DA why don't you go to the show?

Comment

Thanks for the info Frog Zombie.

Karen, I've been before too busy to go lately. But I hear its a better time than Hauntcon with more qualified speakers that's for sure.

DA

Comment

I'll bet there are about 30 people from Texas that are SO thrilled you have an opinion about their qualifications. Or that you think there is some competition between conventions neither of which you attended. Every one stands corrected I'm sure.

Tell us more about yourself!
          sigpic

Another fabulous post from the U.S.Department of Wild Imaginings, now in spectaclar stereo, sponsored by the Adhesives and Sealants Council, suggesting ways to stick things together since the 1800s. Not fabulous in a gay way. Your results may vary. Illinois residents add 8% sales tax. These posts have been made by professional post makers, do not try this type of posting on your own without extensive training, lovely assistants and a trusty clown horn.

Comment

Greg I'm glad you know where you stand!

DA

Comment

As a first time attendee who also had a booth, I went into it not really knowing what to expect. I was told to expect lots of home haunting and crafty-type things and that was absolutely true.

I have read some mixed reviews on a couple sites about NHC as most of the 'big name' vendors cancelled on them, some at the last minute. The reviews I see on Facebook are definitely trending negative. Most of them were disappointed that the larger vendors cancelled and there were NO prop controllers, pneumatics, or similar vendors attending. There appeared to only be one animatronic vendor. There were a few static prop, mask, and weapon makers, and the rest were either steampunk, pirate, or home haunting themed items. Lots of accessories like contacts, jewelry, and knives. Several authors, and one well-known late-night horror host were also in attendance. The hearses were plentiful and I heard ok things from the haunt that was inside the event center (I did not go through). The classes have received generally positive reviews. (I did not attend any).

I met and talked to a LOT of people about the podcast and I was amazed at how many home haunt and yard haunt people there were. Out of all those I talked to, only 5 were 'professional' haunts and 4 of them had been in business for less than 3 seasons. (I asked specific questions so I could get information about our listenership). Victor Bariteau from The American Scream documentary was selling DVDs at our booth and did better than at TW, mainly because of the home haunters aspect of it. It was cool to have folks come up and say they listened to the show and I took several suggestions and got some good contacts for future guests. We will even be making an announcement on the next show about a 'new' member of the crew.

I did not go on the haunt tour and only stayed at the costume ball for about 2 hours. The food was excellent and the conversations were good. Met a lot of new people and had fun at that.

Overall I was a bit disappointed, as many people talking on FB have said that this show has been in decline since 2008. I have heard from the organizers that there WILL be some major changes to the show structure next year and one well-known vendor has already offered to help in any way he can. Since I was not selling a specific product, I wasn't worried about sales. Several vendors I talked to were pleased, others weren't. I guess that's true at all shows though.

Would I go back and have a booth? Sure. Would I go back if I had to pay what people paid to get into the show? Probably not. There are better and worse conventions out there but I think this one has potential, there's just something not clicking with the haunt community that makes them want to attend this show. That is not a discussion for this thread though.
              Last edited by Badger; 05-10-2013, 06:46 AM.
              http://www.bigscaryshow.com
              http://www.rabidbadger.org

Comment

Greg you know that Allen guy that was a hauntcon really doesn't know any thing about the haunt industry he has been faking it for over 20+ years. I wish I could have gone to national but I could only do 4 shows this year. May be Lenard should have Dark speak next year, he seems to think he know every thing about the haunt industry. The show are all different to me and you go to them for different reasons I had a great time with my friends in Texas and I hate Texas. The haunts there know how to roll out the red carpet for the people coming. Next year I will make national.
                Phatman

Comment

Drew am I the new host? Did you forget to tell me? I got the feeling that I missed that memo some where. Keep up the good work and thanks for the shout out on the show.
                  Phatman

Comment

Drew I want to thank you for a good honest assessment of NHC, I know you and can say that you tell it like it is.
                    Phatman

Comment

Originally posted by austind View Post
                      Greg you know that Allen guy that was a hauntcon really doesn't know any thing about the haunt industry he has been faking it for over 20+ years. I wish I could have gone to national but I could only do 4 shows this year. May be Lenard should have Dark speak next year, he seems to think he know every thing about the haunt industry. The show are all different to me and you go to them for different reasons I had a great time with my friends in Texas and I hate Texas. The haunts there know how to roll out the red carpet for the people coming. Next year I will make national.
                      Phatman, I'm sorry I don't recall ever saying I know everything about the haunt industry. Allen is great but as good as he is I think Ricky Dick and John Denley have a little more experience than Allen and the others there. I apologize for grouping all Hauntcon speakers in one.

DA

Comment

Dark I think it's just easy to be critical when you were not there. And I have had a class with every person at national and they are good but that does not mean that the guys at hauntcon were bad I think the were outstanding too.
                        Phatman

Comment

There are lots of people that have been around just as long or slightly longer and been hard core. I respect the John Denley and Ricky Dick experience. There are just hundreds across the country that suck at self promotion and don't wander around making sure you know their actual experience or fathom the long history of how the whole country kind of has worked together. There are about 80 of us in Texas that have just decided to let Allen Hopps do what ever he wants. I think he is doing a wonderful job in an industry or region that is so difficult to make a buck in.

Instead of being a hater, you should live vicariously through the power of the Hopps.
                          sigpic

Another fabulous post from the U.S.Department of Wild Imaginings, now in spectaclar stereo, sponsored by the Adhesives and Sealants Council, suggesting ways to stick things together since the 1800s. Not fabulous in a gay way. Your results may vary. Illinois residents add 8% sales tax. These posts have been made by professional post makers, do not try this type of posting on your own without extensive training, lovely assistants and a trusty clown horn.

Comment

Amen Greg well stated
                            Phatman

Comment

Who are the energetic young shining stars trying to make it in the real world in your region?
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X