• Show
Clear All

• New Year-Round Haunted Attraction comes to central Florida

Opening summer of 2013

http://behindthethrills.com/2013/05/...n-this-summer/

image.jpg

Awesome! Best of luck!

The facade is killer....
    How can a man die better than facing fearful odds, for the ashes of his fathers and the temple of his gods.

What you put into your mind- you put into your life.

www.zombietoxin.com

Comment

Last time I was in Orlando I was looking for a haunt and this one came up and the reviews were horrible. It needed a group of people to redo it and now I can't wait to see what is done. I have thought of doing a seasonal haunt that is open in a tourist area and want to see how this one works out. Hope it works well.
      Phatman

Comment

Excited to see it too!!!

Hello,

Sue Grey had told me about this. I had met Verne, The old owner and spoke with him about redoing this several times through the years. He just did not want to spend the money. Glad to see this has a new owner and that it will get completely rebuilt. I would love to help if needed. Look forward to seeing it.

Excited to see it,

Robert Travis
        Scenic Art Productions
        ScenicArtProductions@Yahoo.COM
        https://www.facebook.com/scenicartproductions

Comment

The problem with this place is the same problem that downtown Orlando had... Disney and Universal has just taken over the nightlife there. Most business have gone out of business on International Drive as well... it use to be hopping and now not so much. Old Town just isn't that popular anymore, neither is I Drive, or downtown Orlando. When you strictly rely on people to walk by the building for your business its going to be tough. I don't think a renovation is the issue, I think getting the word out in a big way is the issue... can this haunt market the business the way all the other big attractions do otherwise it will see the same fate it had prior to the renovation.

Marketing is the key here I hope they have a plan to renovate that end of the business!!!! Either way next time I'm in Orlando I will stop by looking forward to seeing the the place. I have see it a couple times like 10 years ago... never went back to New Town to see it again because no one goes to New Town! LOL I can remember when at night you went to New Town, or Downtown Orlando, or I Drive... now you go to Disney or Universal. For me more Universal than Disney. Universal just added some cool attractions a haunted house themed mini golf and an alien invasion themed mini golf.

Larry
          Larry Kirchner
          President
          www.HalloweenProductions.com
          www.BlacklightAttractions.com
          www.HauntedHouseSupplies.com
          www.HauntedHouseMagazine.com

Comment

Very True Larry

Marketing is key to any business, Downtown Disney had beaten Church Street Station and most of I Drive before Universal even built City Walk. Old Town still gets allot of traffic though. Yes I know on paper you would think not but I have been there on random off peak times of the year and day and still seen allot of traffic. They do have a very popular car show there I think once or twice a month too. At the beginning of The Grimm House I had seen advertisements but later no. Yes even though it may see allot of foot traffic walk by it should still keep up with an ad campaign i.e. Travel channels, posters/displays with coupons in the area hotels and restaurants etc. I think with that and the fact everyone knows it is redone it should do well for a few years and maybe more. Keeping it new and fresh and in the spotlight will be key though. I wish them the very best though.

Still excited to see it,

Robert Travis
            Scenic Art Productions

Comment

Honestly I don't think any business can survive in Orlando now not associated with Universal or Disney... between those two they have just taken over the town. The exceptions are without doubt Sea World or any other mega type place. When you look at places like Gatorland they spend an enormous amount of money on marketing, and honestly that is the only way I see any business making it there now. I would love to see a Church Street Station type of business make a come back there trust me... I have talked to those guys, other people who wanted to open a haunt near that movie theater, to you name it... unless you have big bucks for marketing I don't see anything making a lot of money there.

I wonder though if you opened something at Universal would it be a success... now that is something to look into!

But I promise you that next time im in Orlando I'm going to check it out!

Who is the owner of this place now? Does anyone know?

Larry
              Larry Kirchner
              President
              www.HalloweenProductions.com
              www.BlacklightAttractions.com
              www.HauntedHouseSupplies.com
              www.HauntedHouseMagazine.com

Comment

Interesting but real expensive. Lol

Yes, Universal and Disney do, and will, rent out space at their night time complexes. But it is not cheap. The ticket sales may make the rent since the traffic is there. It would have to be a top notch polished attraction to get repeat attendance there. I had wondered about this a few years back.

Jim Shackelford and the guys from The House of Boo are the new owners. That is what I have been told anyway. I had also spoken with them about the haunt at Halloween Extreme. They had a booth advertising the summer opening of the attraction.

Still excited to see it,

Robert Travis
                Scenic Art Productions

Comment

I remember talking to the former owner and he went on and in about how his haunt was one if the best in the country. I entered, and saw him outside and told him politely that he was way off. I have never been to terror on church street, but I've been to skull kingdom and terror in Orlando and old town of course and they all seemed really lame and unenthusiastic. It's just not the right area it's hard to go to a low level haunt after you're been to Disney, Universal or Sea World, etc. It would be highly unlikely that you can employ dozens if energetic actors each and every night that people expect from haunts these days. Look even Roth's haunt is dying a painful death.

Ill be there to visit next time I'm in town, but after seeing the old town location I'm not expecting the Darkness.

DA

Comment

Old town does get some traffic but its a different clientele than Disney and universal and especially downtown Disney. It's very dated, lots of older people for the car rallies etc. look at the businesses there. Old town is like the mall on the other side of town that was "thee" mall 30-40 years ago but now barely survives because everyone's at the new flashy mall.
                    DA

Comment

While I don't know about the Orlando market, I will say that if anyone could run a successful haunt there, it would be these guys and their crew. They have created a master team of industry experts including several people from the area that have worked at both Skull Kingdom and Terror on Church Street. They are also going to be featured on the Travel Channel on Making Monsters which will undoubtedly bring more awareness to their attraction.
                      Zach Wiechmann
                      www.frontyardfright.com

Comment

True but both terror on church street and skull kingdom ultimately failed didn't they? Bringing a creative team together means nothing again look at Eli Roth's haunt he got Hollywood talent and its on its way out already. I'm not familiar with all of the guys opening this haunt but do any of them have a top notch professional independent haunt? I've never heard any of them have a haunt on par with 13th gate, Netherworld and the Darkness. If Dwayne, Larry and Ben teamed up then I'd say it has a real shot, because they all have top notch shows and their own locations that thrive where they make all the decisions.

DA
                        Last edited by Darkangel; 06-03-2013, 10:21 PM.

Comment

I was a witness to Goretorium's futility. The strip was packed and they had actors out front trying to get people interested but no one was. I agree I think the only city worse than Vegas would be Orlando. The interest is everywhere but in haunted houses there's just too much to do and see there.

Good luck I'm pulling for you guys!

Jake

Comment

Working...
                          X