Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• scareLA convention

Who's producing this show?

Whomever is doing joined the forums I approved their account today so you'll probably be hearing from them soon!

Larry
    Larry Kirchner
    President
    www.HalloweenProductions.com
    www.BlacklightAttractions.com
    www.HauntedHouseSupplies.com
    www.HauntedHouseMagazine.com

Comment

Thanks Larry. I've since found out it's David Marklin and Lora Ivanova. Neither of which I've come across in the industry before.

Comment

The producers of this show are pulling this together really well. Great line up of talent and resources. Who's going?

Comment

I'm not part of this convention's production team but....................... Why is there not more conversation about this event on these boards? No chat about who's going. Some of the top pros in this business will be doing seminars on some of the most complex shows in the nation. I don't get it.

Comment

Honestly I think there are way to many of these things now ... but seems like haunted house industry is growing in LA but I don't know that this warrants a show for it. I guess we'll see how this goes. Larry
            Larry Kirchner
            President

Comment

Honestly the forums here are always a little dead around this time of year. I may have something to do with a lot of haunts are opening for Sept. 13th and we have a little over 4 weeks to be ready. The other thing is that most people that go to conventions have gone to 1 or 2 already this year so they have used up any time for shows they may have had. The industry is getting so saturated with shows that people have to pick between them and they usually chose one the have enjoyed in the past. I know I go to 4 shows a year, Transworld, Midwest, Hauntcon and IAPPA. I don't know how I could do another and I will skip Hauntcon if the tour is not venues that I want to see. If the people of ScareLA wanted to get more buzz on this forum then all the need to do is come here and post things we may want to hear about, but I have seen practically nothing here about the show. Looks like they need a better PR person I guess.
              Phatman

Comment

HMMMM........ Does sound like there is an over saturation problem. Any other factors?

Comment

Robert,

I don't know who you consider a top pro... in my book a top pro is someone who owns a haunted house who is actually doing not just talking about it. So there we will totally disagree. Two I think a reason why people aren't talking about it is because no one cares. There is already to many shows out there way to many and it seems like everytime we blink our eyes there is another one.

Clearly the haunt industry has grown and with that people think they can make a buck off of it like start another magazine, start another website, start another tradeshow, offer the next best product or whatever... doesn't work like that.

I am not saying SCARELA won't be fun but c'mon now... there isn't a single person who is in the business that has time to attend this show. And going back to your original comment about top pros are speaking... I go back to what I just said if you are really a top pro then you are working 24 hours a day to get open.

Most haunts are opening on Friday the 13th... that is about one month away. Who has time for a tradeshow? Think about it!

Larry
                  Larry Kirchner
                  President

Comment

I will add one more comment and that is the has not been much marketing done in my view, a little on FB and not really much on Hauntworld, I would expect seeing it everywhere for a first time show. Would love to here some comments and photos from people going.
                    Phatman

Comment

All of these shows are welcome to promote away or send me emails and I'll add them to our page devoted to tradeshows. But I got no email asking. I would agree poor promotion on their part. My tradeshow page gets tons of hits... actually same goes triple for Leonard and Hauntcon he in my opinion doesn't get very aggressive either with Hauntcon.

You have people who want to make money and they think the key to doing that is to spend as little as possible... WRONG!

Lastly this show was poorly thought out... haunt owners can't make a show in August right before their haunts open! So I would assume this show is really for enthusiasts. Larry
                      Larry Kirchner
                      President

Comment

I popped my cherry guys!!!!

I JUST GOT BACK!!!

This show was my first ever. I learned soooo much and saw so many awesome things. There was one vendor showing animatronics, everyone else was showing masks, prosthetics, makeup, paint, things of that nature. It was busy in my opinion. It took about 45 minutes to see all of the vendors just to walking time. When I stopped to talk to them I spent about an hour at one booth just talking to the guy. He was explaining everything about his silicone masks. He let me try one on it was so awesome. I took a video and I'll post it on youtube and put a link on here. These things were beautiful! The prosthetics were cool. They seeming pretty standard nothing mind blowing. Dapper Caddaver was there OHHHHHH!!! I saw his props and the body parts they looked great! I had always wanted to see them in person and now I have. OH Sid Haig was there. I think thats how you spell his name. The clown guy from House of a 1000 corpses. He is pretty mellow from what I saw. Very animated. I didn't have the money to get his autograph on a picture but It was cool just to meet him. I also met Eric Fox from FaceOff. That dude is so chill. I wanted to pick his brain but he had a huge line waiting to take pictures with him. Butch Dihary was there from ContoursFX and I had registered for a class to take with him but I missed it because of family issues but I'll look for that oppurtunity again. His work is soo amazing. He had a little booth you can see is artwork, it was so amazing!

You know I had a great time. I learned so much. And as far as marketing it they did a great job. Remember Larry, LA is a big place, we like Halloween stuff too. We can have our own haunt convention. Besides you never want to come play with use you just want to stay in St. Louis.

I loved it, it taught me so much, and it won't be my last. GOD I CAN'T WAIT TO GET STARTED!!! WOOHOO!
                        Its A Verbal Orgy on Steroids!

Comment

Just FYI... if that show was in St Louis I would have gone no doubt about it. If I lived in LA I would have gone to that show, Monsterpoloza, during October I'd hit Universal and Knotts and the list goes on. I think you missed the point... people who own and operate haunted houses can't fly to LA in August to either speak or exhibit or to just attend.

I'm sure you had a blast I would have to if I was in LA. As for me not wanting to leave STL... well we are trying to get our three haunts open, plus build 4 for other people plus a mini golf. Kinda hard to leave! LOL

Either way I'm glad you had fun! Please post some pictures!!!

Larry
                          Larry Kirchner
                          President

Comment

absolutely! And please don't misinterpret anything I said as hostile. I still want to get to STL and go to Transworld. My wife is talking about her and I going this next year. So I might actually get to meet you finally. Either way I did have fun. I also understand that August is very late for HAUNT OPERATORS becuase you guys are already building and getting ready. I even told the ticket girl at the counter that once I got there.
                            Its A Verbal Orgy on Steroids!

Comment

From all my friends on Twitter and on Facebook that went/are going, it was a very good success with a large turnout and awesome panels and classes. Good for them. If I weren't flying overseas tomorrow, I would have been there myself.

-=CoasterBP

Comment

Working...
                              X