Too many old man silicone masks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Too many old man silicone masks

I can't be the only one to think this, but seriously all silicone mask makers can we call it a day with the realistic old man masks? There must be a dozen or more old man masks by various artists. I just did a search looking for new masks to potentially buy and it's old man after old man. Does anyone really find them scary at all?

I'd like to see the mask makers of the world try some new designs!

Anybody with me or is it just me?

Off my soapbox now.

Jake

I brought this up to Ian from Real Flesh FX after he posted his new mask. He had said that a large part of their sales are from their human masks. While the haunted house market is a big part, he said that without the other, they wouldn't be able to continue operating.
    Zach Wiechmann
    www.frontyardfright.com

Comment

Zack,

I understand business is business in not faulting anyone but the ARE promoting these masks to haunters on these forums. You've seen one you've seen them all IMO.

Jake

Comment

You should check out darkestfearsunlimited.com. the have some original sock masks. I know you may be looking for silicone but these look really awesome!!

Comment

Originally posted by thehorrorshack View Post
          You should check out darkestfearsunlimited.com. the have some original sock masks. I know you may be looking for silicone but these look really awesome!!
          They were at MHC. Had a mask with a doo-flickie inside that you can blow air to a pocket, which makes the skull raise and lower like a heart beat, etc. pretty cool
          Like a midget at a urinal, you gotta be on your toes

http://www.wellstownshiphauntedhouse.com

Comment

Sounds like a marketing issue. Seems like they should stop pushing life-like masks on the haunt industry and just focus on monsters/creatures/etc. and focus those masks efforts towards other industries.

-Tyler
            http://www.hauntdesignkit.com
            >Download free Google SketchUp collections made just for haunt owners and designers.

Like us on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/HauntDesignKit

Comment

My question has been, who are the customers for these expensive lifelike masks, and for what purposes are they buying them? This is not the kind of item you buy for a one time joke. We already know that some of these masks have been used in bank robberies and other crimes. How many other illegal activities have these kind of masks been used for? And in this litigious society, how long will it be before somebody sues the makers of these lifelike masks for their part in criminal activities?

Comment

I've got one, use it at the haunt for all sorts of things. Rare opportunity to have a character that talks and can answer questions, set people up, etc. https://www.facebook.com/PappyWTHH?ref=hl
                Like a midget at a urinal, you gotta be on your toes

http://www.wellstownshiphauntedhouse.com

Comment

I am so over old man masks. What is Halloween, Night of the living Grandpas?

Yes, you're a great sculptor, yes, it's excellent work. But how many old man masks does anybody need? Particularly realflesh--they use the same form for all their masks so every one looks related to every other one so it's old man who aged THIS way, and the same old man aged differently. Their Frankenstein looks like the old man--but with a squarish head and stitches and staples. Great, amazingly detailed, superbly crafted masks--of the same person. Please, buy a new form. Cast some employees. Something.

Comment

Originally posted by jack View Post

Yes, you're a great sculptor, yes, it's excellent work. But how many old man masks does anybody need? Particularly realflesh--they use the same form for all their masks so every one looks related to every other one so it's old man who aged THIS way, and the same old man aged differently. Their Frankenstein looks like the old man--but with a squarish head and stitches and staples. Great, amazingly detailed, superbly crafted masks--of the same person. Please, buy a new form. Cast some employees. Something.
                    I couldn't agree more. It's like every year you see a new crop of old man masks on top of the already overpopulated old man mask market. And you're right about Realflesh, fantastic masks and finishing work but every one looks the same and nearly all painted skin colored, which is hella boring. Its great for robbing banks and crime, but seriously we've all seen too many old man characters used in haunts especially if you're trying to make them your main character or icon at this point that look is beat to hell, almost getting as old as zombies.

DA

Comment

deleted all
                      Last edited by ianfxmen; 06-26-2013, 05:22 AM.
                      www.realfleshmasks.com

Comment

deleted all the posts

Originally posted by jack View Post

Last edited by ianfxmen; 06-26-2013, 05:23 AM.
                        www.realfleshmasks.com

Comment

[MENTION=18702]ianfxmen[/MENTION] I'm pretty sure this discussion isn't about you specifically. It's about the overabundance of old men masks in the silicone mask market.
                          www.frightprops.com

[FrightProps Blog]
                          [Google+] [YouTube]
                          [Facebook] [Twitter] [Tumblr] [Pinterest]

sigpic

Comment

I LOVE Ian's work, and disagree about the overabundance of old
                            Men masks.

To be honest, silicone masks are a nich market, you must push what sells, and clearly, these are flying out of the
                            Molds left and right with how popular they are. I know a lot of
                            People order elderly masks for music videos, movies, plays, pranks etc, for performing arts, it's much more convenient to throw a young guy in an old mask than try and find a grandpa who can spin on his head on a cardboard box.

I can understand why Ian was upset, the guys a true artist and multiple people brought his masks up, but Ian, it's a compliment buddy! Be proud people know your work and can admit publicly how freakin well it is made! Haunters, myself included, are hard to impress and stuck in our ways sometimes! It's nothing personal.

Keep up the great mask making Ian, I enjoy seeing the different masks and paint schemes everyone puts out for silicone masks, I wish I had that skill!

Comment

Ian, you misjudge me. I LOVE your work. Great texture, fabulous paint jobs. They just all look alike. I know you're dealing with the limitations of the silicone, and I appreciate that. But I don't understand why you can't find several different cores with different facial structures but the same overall dimensions. I have 3 different 'average guy' heads, 3 'big guy' heads, and two 'little guy' heads(not as many female heads, but a variety there as well) all cast from customers or friends. It's not hard to get them

Your stuff is great--but, right now, to anyone with any familiarity with it, it has an 'I've seen this before' vibe--because each looks so much like the mask next to it. If you had some different facial structures to work with your stuff could blow everyone out of the water.

Nome of this is meant as a jibe. Maybe as a nudge, you know?

Comment

Working...
                              X