No announcement yet.

How did you come across your property?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How did you come across your property?

Was there anything in particular to look for? Or was it just the right place at the right time? I'm still having trouble getting any companies that will allow us to use their property to start up a haunted house. I dont get the negative stigma about haunted houses with these property owners? Your land or building has been sitting vacant for years, and you are losing money on it. I just dont get it. I understand the risks of people getting hurt at a haunted house attraction, but it cannot be a higher risk than allowing industrial production plants in there. People get hurt in manufacturing all the time.

Sorry for the rant. I just cant wrap my head around why the property owners around here are just being so stubborn? Is it just me, or is this everyone? How do I change this streak of bad luck? lol

Also, I have the financial backing. My mother is friends with a guy who owns his own construction company and is also a part of an investment group. He's been very patient because he understands that this is a tough business to get into. I think part of the reasoning he continues to want to back our business is because he can see the passion we have for it, and the creative and unique ideas we bring to the table.

As I have said, the biggest snag has been being able to find a viable property. There are plenty of ideal places, as I'm sure most of you have seen and gone through. It just seems like no one is ready to budge. I've told them we would have them insured. I've told them I have financial backing, and I have told them we arent some fly-by night operation and that we would be renting them all year round.

My investor said it'd be a good idea to start small, and build it into something bigger. I like the idea, but here in Northeast Ohio there is just so much competition out there, I just dont know if starting out small would give us any chance, even with being creative.

Comment

One big concern also for starting out small is the issues of parking, and noise ordanance.

Comment

Outdoor "Noise" is over rated.

I clipped my outdoor speakers many years ago when I discovered how the sound traveled up the hill to a neighborhood.
        My house was zoned Commercial ever since it was built in 1865.
        I wanted to own this house for a great many years. I spent tons of energy trying to find someone, anyone who might loan me the money... it became VERY FRUSTRATING!
        I would "Pack-it-in"every night as I went to sleep, then the next morning I would say:"I'll give ONE MORE DAY!"
        One more became a great many... then I realized I was asking the wrong kind of person to back me. I needed to find someone who had once done something totally "Wrong" by common standards, yet had huge succe$$!
        I thought of such a person, the next day he called ME to come do a little fix-it job for him!
        I started very small and did almost everything myself and this took much time and effort, but I have no huge outstanding expenses from all of it, and this house did need EVERYTHING!
        Some Professional haunters told me I had the world's poorest location for a haunted attraction, I think it is the best location, and the best house for such use, and it's even actually haunted, so I have gotten credit ("It's a specail Effect!") for things that I could Never Do.
        Possibly in a few weeks Ravens Grin will be seen on a new TV show called "Creepiest Homes in America", which was filmed here last week during two long nights.
        hauntedravensgrin.com

Comment

How did you obtain your property?

My neighbor died. My haunt is his former home. No joke.

Comment

So does he..

"Help" you in the haunted house, since he now has those credentials?
            hauntedravensgrin.com

Comment

To answer your question

Yes, sometimes I think he might be around. You are not the only one with a real haunted house.

Comment

Born into it

I'm 6th generation here in the township. Trace farming roots back to landing in Boston long before American Revolution. They moved into New York and eventually went up Dexter Trail into Michigan before the Civil War. The field where I haunt was worked by my Grandfather. I bought land next door the year I graduated high school then across road a few years later.

Wicked Farmer

Comment

I have been turned down by allot building owners when I told them what we were going to use there building for, you just have to keep looking and the right deal will happen.
                  were moving up to a larger building next year 24000sqf cant wait.

Dan

Comment

???

When you are looking for buildings or spaces are you going with a business plan and insurances already in place? I guess what I mean is do you have all your paperwork in order to show the property owner it is a real business situation. Have you looked into all the regulations of what it requires to operate in that property and ensured the owner all liabilities have been carefully thought of and minimized. The company I work for during my day job LOL is a fortune 500 company and incredibly well known. I am a project lead and we just opened a new location in an old abandoned grocery store. We had to acquire the space and then renovate but you should have seen all the hassles we were put through and all the red tape we had to go through. It just depends on the location and who owns it as to whether or not they will allow you to operate the way you would like too or not. Just keep looking and get your plans solid and all in line and hopefully you'll find the right location soon. I wish you the best of luck and truly hope you find what you're looking for eventually.

Comment

Truthfully what we have done in the past is set up an appt. to look at the facility (don't give reason other than you are business owners). If it's a real estate agent we ask if the owner(s) will be there and ask if they could be there, if possible. Once we are in person and get a feel for the other person/people then we let our enthusiasm about what we do out and connect with them. This has gotten us farther than just calling and doing it via phone. We've had a few people in the past shut down the phone conversation once we said haunted house.
                      I know it's kind of nitpicky, but we say things like haunted attraction instead of haunted house...we refer to it to an attraction. That sounds better, I think.

Just my 2 cents...
                      Kirk Boemmel
                      Dark Ghost Manor
                      www.darkghostmanor.com

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                      X