Interview Questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interview Questions

I would like to know what kinds of questions are asked during an actor interview. What kinds of questions have you been asked in the passed? And what performances are you asked to demonstrate (ex. screaming, yelling, etc)?
    Thanks for any answers.
    RIP

~The Imagineer~

Andrew de Ruiter

Download part 1 of Andrew's Black Book of ideas for haunts here:
    http://www.epubbud.com/book.php?g=EGQDK8HZ

The number one thing to do is ask about availability.
    I like to ask them to tell me the uses for a tube sock, as many as they can list in a minute. 10-15 is average.20+ is a creative keeper.
    I ask them who their favorite movie characters are (3-5) and then I ask them why.
    I ask them why they want to work at a haunted attraction, and then why at MY haunted attraction.
    I ask why they think they will be good at this.

I always ask them to act out a few things-
    Walk (about 25ft) like a zombie, like a werewolf
    Walk like a Balerina that was hit by a school bus
    Act out a person turning into a werewolf

I hope that helps you
    www.Stiltbeaststudios.com
    http://www.youtube.com/user/Stiltbea...s?feature=mhee

Comment

Great answers!

Originally posted by Allen H View Post
      The number one thing to do is ask about availability.
      I like to ask them to tell me the uses for a tube sock, as many as they can list in a minute. 10-15 is average.20+ is a creative keeper.
      I ask them who their favorite movie characters are (3-5) and then I ask them why.
      I ask them why they want to work at a haunted attraction, and then why at MY haunted attraction.
      I ask why they think they will be good at this.

I always ask them to act out a few things-
      Walk (about 25ft) like a zombie, like a werewolf
      Walk like a Balerina that was hit by a school bus
      Act out a person turning into a werewolf

I hope that helps you
      Thanks Allen. Would you mind elaborating on the tube sock question? I get finding a creative person but what do you do with those whom are creative thinkers? Do you find they are creative actors too?
      RIP

~The Imagineer~

Andrew de Ruiter

Comment

I guess I made big mistakes?

Right upfront I would tell the person that they could not do certain things here that they wanted to do, mostly scaring people in situations and using methods that would increase the possibility of injury to the customer or themselves.
        My biggest disappointment for me in Haunting is not finding many people who love to haunt, scare, entertain others.
        I have always paid my help too, sometimes I discover, too much since trusting someone in the dark half a house away requires trust from me.
        The employees that I have lost here because something happened to scare them away, I hold no ill feelings toward at all, but I have learned to first ask them before we become too involved:"Are you or would you be totally scared if you happened to see a ghost or something supernatural happen? Would this be the last time you would be here then?
        We have lost some good helpers to such occurrences. We have lost some helpers for just a night from the same and wouldn't you know it, October is the "High Season" for such things to happen.
        hauntedravensgrin.com

Comment

Ask what scary spooky things they have done in the past. Ask if they make their own props, and weapons (beware of anyone who says they make their own weapons, especially teens. This could be a very bad sign) Ask if they used a mask or makeup for trick or treating.

I like Allen's idea about the sock, I bet some of those answers are priceless!

If I could offer any advise at all it would be to ask around about the person you're thinking of inviting into your haunt. Find out what other people in the community think of them, get references...

We had some younger guys help us one year, they had a lot of ideas, knew how to build, seemed like eager teens. A few nights into the season they decided that what they were doing wasn't getting very good results so they took it upon themselves to change up their scene without asking anyone. They really started getting some people's attention, but what they decided was ok to them was way too unsafe for us. So we asked them to leave and they didn't want to go quietly. You just never know about some people.
          Chris Riehl
          Sales@spookyfinder.com
          (586)209-6935
          www.spookyfinder.com

Comment

Actor Interview Questions

These are all great interview questions and suggestions! Thanks for the replies!
            RIP

~The Imagineer~

Andrew de Ruiter

Comment

Here is a couple I would recommend that might not be on the standard "haunted house" set:

1. Have you ever been convicted for a felony?
              2. Are you currently awaiting sentencing for your conviction?
              3. Oh, so you're likely to be headed to prison next month?
              4. Oh, it was for drug involved violence?
              5. Is that a real knife wound on your arm?
              6. You got in a knife fight with your best friend?
              7. Why do you keep stuffing my masks down your pants when you leave each night?
              8. Did you really go back to the actor area, get high, enter back into the haunt and disappear?

Those are just random questions though. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

Comment

that was funny (and Sad)

A criminal backround check usually does not concern itself with the majority of crimes one could commit, they aim for sexual tendantcys and whether or not a guy may have been arrested buying himself a hooker.
                you may ask all the questions in the world, then they still might not show up for the first night!
                Never hire someone who lives on "Mommy's Couch". Sure they aren't working, but then maybe they have the entire working system scammed and they know how to not work?
                You would be better off if you could hire mommy's Couch, the actual piece of furniture, that is. Once it's delivered to your place it won't lie, steal,or cause you numerous concerns.. because it's just a couch!
                A learned long ago to feel sorry for employers who have to hire employees who actually have to do more than any employee is supposed do here.
                hauntedravensgrin.com

Comment

For my interview, we had an initial interview asking basic questions like the following:

Irritation from artificial fog?
                  Allergies?
                  CPR/ First Aid experience?
                  Acting experience?

Just the general stuff, ya know? But they also asked me to act out my favorite bug, and they had to guess it. That was interesting!

However, we also did a call back, where the new "recruit" was put in a room with a senior actor. A "director" was around and would create a scene for us and we would have to improv with the senior actor. Of course it would be everything from comedic, horror, goofy, offensive.. anything you can think of. That was fun! Keeps people on their toes and starts helping get them ready for the craziness that will come shortly after if we hire them.

Good luck!
                  "If I ever hear , "Boo", "Hiss", or "Roar", I will personally kick you in the pants."

Comment

Interview Questions

There have been a few great responses here, thanks everyone for them. We have already hired 15 actors for our first ever haunt and we still need about 20 more. Sheesh. Coming down to the wire.
                    RIP

~The Imagineer~

Andrew de Ruiter

Comment

Working...
                    X