2 way mirror or mirror tint

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2 way mirror or mirror tint

Looking to do a large bottomless pit. How good does one way mirror tint work when compared to a real piece of security glass? One way security glass is about $20/sqft around here. I was looking at having a large sheet of acrylic for people to walk over. Could I simply squeegee on some of this film to the bottom of my acrylic and get the same result?
    Last edited by Skeered; 07-12-2013, 08:57 AM.

You can buy mirrored, and 2 way mirrorred lexan (polycarbonate) sheet from alot of plastics suppliers, like http://www.curbellplastics.com/ . It ran about $3/sf or $100 a sheet for 1/8" thick I believe.
    Brian Warner
    Owner of Evilusions www.EVILUSIONS.com
    Technical Director of Forsaken Haunted House www.Forsakenhaunt.com
    Mechanical Designer (animatronics) at Gore Galore www.Gore-Galore.com

Comment

Originally posted by Skeered View Post
      Looking to do a large bottomless pit. Could I simply squeegee on some of this film to the bottom of my acrylic and get the same result?
      Are talking about placing a mirror (acrylic) on the ground and have people walk "on it" or "over it" like on a bridge? Wondering about results...
      Chris Riehl
      Sales@spookyfinder.com
      (586)209-6935
      www.spookyfinder.com

Comment

I guess I wasn't clear...People would be walking over 3/4" clear acrylic about 3' in the air as the main means of support. Immediately below this is the security glass where you would look through it towards the ground and into the opposing mirror. If not security glass then I was wondering how mirrored see through tint would work if squeegee'd on the bottom side of my 3/4" clear acrylic sheet as it is the cheapest route. Even 2 way mirrored acrylic sheet is half the price of 2 way mirrored glass.
        Last edited by Skeered; 07-12-2013, 10:45 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Skeered View Post
          People would be walking over 3/4" clear acrylic about 3' in the air as the main means of support. Immediately below this is the security glass where you would look through it towards the ground and into the opposing mirror.
          ok, that cleared up your setup, but I'm just wondering if you'll be able to get the effect you're looking for, "the bottomless pit". Have you visited these projects before?:
          http://www.hauntproject.com/projdeta...ory=Bottomless Pits

It looks as though people have used either or.
          I just thinking that you might need a little more distance between the acrylic and your mirror. Have you tested this setup for effect? Post some pics of it once you get it done. Could be an interesting setup. I've seen bottomless pits done before but they are normally done with a bit more distance between the bridge and the mirror.
          Chris Riehl
          Sales@spookyfinder.com
          (586)209-6935
          www.spookyfinder.com

Comment

I've done a small 2'x2' bottomless pit 3' deep with security mirror. Worked great. With a larger size pit I probably need to go deeper. Haven't put that much thought into specifics. I was thinking lower as I have to ramp up to it and that will take up valuable floor space. I thought about having mirrors at 45 degrees just to help with height issues. I guess I'll have to give the see through mirror tint a try as its cheaper than anything else.

Comment

You can get the same effect without a ramp, make a small room and put the mirrors on the floor and ceiling, you can't have any light going into the room, texture/paint the walls with whatever you want to reflect and just put a board across the room (obviously attached to the floor) and angle the ends into your "ramp" to avoid tripping.

Comment

Working...
              X