America Haunts 2013 question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

well shoot!

I'll never amount to anything. I don't have a Scarefactory/Unit 70 showroom. I have a Scarefactory, Distortions, Poision walkway and going to be "Getting me some Gore"! Sorry...couldn't resist.

Wicked Farmer

Comment

Con-gratulations! You just bought into the hype!

Stand back in awe of huge amounts of money spent. This has always been a country all about money, hasn't it? We all want more and more of it to prove .. something? to ourselves...?
      My satisfaction from the haunting I do springs from the words , compliments and reactions of the people who are my customers and patrons as they are in absolute awe of how I just scared them with an item that sells nationaly in almost any store for a few mere cents! And I do this over and over again all during the 90 minutes they are under my roof (and under my dirt)
      This style of entertainment not only scares them first but intriegues them secondly which places a marker of the experience within their psyche which will never become obscured as they keep exclaiming to their friends and relatives how amazing this whole experience was.
      When I began I had no money to advertise so I HAD to work extra hard to impress my first few customers, hoping they would indeed be impressed enough to freely promote my house.
      OF my first ten paying customers, one was a Doctor who loves Haunted Houses. This man brought, sent and even paid admission for probably at least a 100 people during my first year open. He did not come here to make a list of the props I had bought at Transworld.(There were none.)
      Late last night a young man brought his new girlfriend here from 1,000 miles away. All she kept saying with every new thing she noticed was "Crazy!" "Crazy!!" "Crazy!!!"
      I finally confessed to her:"I can "sell" "Crazy" very easily (all night long) but "Normal , that would be a much tougher sell (for me).
      I have very little in common with any other haunt as far as I know. I do have a huge number of fans of the show I put on here though, and it didn't come from a book or someone's web site or trade show, maybe that's why it's so "interesting" to so many people?
      But, what do I know? I'm probably all wrong about everything and just highly delusional, awaiting my next dry, haunted wet dream.??
      hauntedravensgrin.com

Comment

Why is Dream Reapers on the list since 2012 was their final year? Also, on the site it says 7 Floors of Terror when its name is 7 Floors of Hell. A lot of the videos for America Haunts feature Ryan Dunn of Jackass who's been dead for 2 years. Maybe America Haunts should think about updating the videos on their site.
        Spooky Wishes
        Noah

City Blood: Ohio, Kentucky & Indiana's #1 Haunt Site!

http://www.ohioshaunted.com

Comment

Getting a Dead Guy..

To apear on your videos is quite a coooo!
          Somebody must know some Black Magic to accomplish this?
          Or would such knowledge be found at a Trans World seminar? I betcha!
          hauntedravensgrin.com

Comment

Membership and/or mention by any well known association should be difficult to obtain, which, as Ben stated, is what America Haunts is. So part of my question was answered/corrected. Earned, not bought. I had a similar conversation with a few attraction owners at MHC. Whether is America's Haunts or other well known list, my only point has been that reputations should be earned, not bought. That's all
            Like a midget at a urinal, you gotta be on your toes

http://www.wellstownshiphauntedhouse.com

Comment

wicked farmer is getting some gore

Wicked,
              I am glad our marketing works.
              "Getcha Some Gore" LOL

and happy to be on the list with Unit 70 and other big names.
              Kevin R. Alvey
              info at gore-galore.com
              www.gore-galore.com
              www.halloweenmusicgalore.com
              www.youtube.com/goregalore13
              www.facebook.com/goregalore

sigpic

Comment

Look Dont Knock Be Happy!

Here it is in a nut shell. I could care less about who is on a list or who's not. I mean don't get me wrong when your on one of these and you get to vote yeah it's fun but sadly and the truth of the matter is most of the ones voting are the owners ( yes me too), actors, and staff we all do this and everyone knows I am shooting the shit straight so what they are doing is no different than a list where you vote for yourself. If it gives some attention to the Industry then hey that's GREAT! and if the same ones get all the attention that's GREAT too but as for me I need not to keep up with the Joneses and maybe it's just me but for me it's not about a list it's about the fun you have with your customers and staff, friends and family at the end of the day that's all that matters for me not what X,Y or Z haunt is ranked or how they are ranked.

Hell I have had people say my haunt sucked and I have had them say I was better than NetherWorld! do I think I am? Hell NO! but if someone thinks I am then cool but I rather hear that from them than see my haunt in a group or list I paid to be on! My point is everyone looks at shows and scares all different and I think that holds true to all these list. I been asked to be on different list and pay to be on them but I don't care to spend the money for it I rather have a cool toy. But hey don't knock them because they want to do it it's just part of their advertising .There is NO one stopping ANYONE from starting their own paid list there can be more than one you know! So lets not all get all down and out because the same ones are on there remember they are spending their own money to do it and hey it's their club and their rules if you don't like it start your own! AND LASTLY BEING ON A NATIONAL LEVEL DOES NOTHING FOR ME! I RATHER BE RANKED TOP IN MY AREA BECAUSE AT THE END OF THE DAY THERE ARE NOT ENOUGH PEOPLE HOPPING ON A PLANE TO MAKE A DIFFERENCE ON A LIST THAT'S SEEN FUTHER THAN 100 MILES OUT! Now lets chill! Again I have nothing but respect for the ones on that list and many are my friends and I think the world of them but IT'S THEIR LIST! Oh I might add I have been asked more times than I can count to join my local country club and I don't care to do that either lol! Shane and it's guess I am just the odd ball of the bunch as to how I see things!
                Last edited by graystone; 07-27-2013, 05:44 PM.
                sigpic

Comment

Very Much agreed, Shane. I never looked at it from an advertising angle only that someone was paying for their kid to play quarterback
                  Like a midget at a urinal, you gotta be on your toes

http://www.wellstownshiphauntedhouse.com

Comment

Originally posted by sean View Post
                    Very Much agreed, Shane. I never looked at it from an advertising angle only that someone was paying for their kid to play quarterback
                    Paying or not you can still look at the list and its the who's who of the top haunts and haunters from coast to coast. Of course not every top haunt can be on the list because if there is already one in Boston for example on the list they probably can't take another even if its great since its marketing. But the point is if you look at the haunts included and look at their individual markets they seem to be the top dogs in their region. It's not like they are just adding anyone out there willing to pay to be included, you HAVE to earn your way on and pay to be included so its deserved.

DA

Comment

"My Kid"

Lives in a rural area. He's somewhat different but nothing has really impeaded his attracting all kinds of free attention, maybe this has happened so many times , because my kid is different?
                      A huge number of those who have played with him or even against him have found his style to be quite interesting and even .. fun.
                      As a Quarterback, his arm is not overly large or impressively strong, no 100 yard passes coming from this arm, but he will nickle and dime a defence to it's death, picking apart the defense with an unheard of variety of "looks" and tricky formations that often catch the defense reacting to things that are just not even there.
                      Will I be paying to get my kid a quarterback spot?
                      No. He's doing more than "fine" right where he is. Who knows? Maybe someday his players card will be the most valuable one ever made?
                      Rare things can excite many of us, you know.
                      hauntedravensgrin.com

Comment

Keep in mind it doesn't take a Unit 70 or Scarefactory or any other kind of showroom to have a WORLD CLASS haunted house not at all... whomever says that remember that is why you don't have a WORLD class haunt. The scariest haunts out there are the ones you feel are real and they don't have one fake prop or animation.

Anyone can build a WORLD class haunt if you are creative enough to realize you don't need any animations or any latex props at all... you need great detail work, with natural lighting, and natural style props, but most importantly a great naturally haunted location. I want to build a haunted house with no props from any company you guys will walk through and your jaw will drop...

However I'm a sucker for cool props just like the rest of you I like cool animations and props but that doesn't mean you need them because you DO NOT!

Larry
                        Larry Kirchner
                        President
                        www.HalloweenProductions.com
                        www.BlacklightAttractions.com
                        www.HauntedHouseSupplies.com
                        www.HauntedHouseMagazine.com

Comment

Thank you, Larry.

Several of the elderly people I had approached trying to get financing later all told me this house was "Haunted". They also told me to Not buy it.
                          People would sometimes see a ghostly woman appear from the Northeast corner of the wine cellar and think she was a special effect!
                          I have scared quite a few Haunters who came here, some of them told me that they had never been scared in a "Haunted House"!
                          They can't truthfully claim that anymore!
                          One young man who was posting here,maybe 13 years ago drove hundreds of miles and went through my house alone. I may have actually scared him right out of this business? He kind of just vanished from everywhere as far as I could tell (without hiring a Private Detective.)
                          We have kept the answering machine tape from a man from Florida who is swearing at my front room furniture and then saying it was the Scariest thing that had ever happened to him! (Then he had the rest of the whole house to see!)
                          Yesterday my fun came from showing the house to a former classmate of mine. I hadn't seen her in 45? years?
                          We used to be Lab Partners and cringe back and forth at one another as we each had personal habits that the other one could not stand!
                          I wrote in my school text books. ("Books are Holy!") She doodled all over her hands and arms with a Bic pen! ("Messy!")
                          A now local guy a few years behind me in school was bemoaning the loss of one of my text books he had owned, his Mother sold it at a Yard Sale! It was full of goofy, funny stuff that I had added to the pictures and text.
                          hauntedravensgrin.com

Comment

I'm not implying that you have to have an animation showroom to prove you're a good haunt. BUT, the good haunts all have the showroom and the sets and actors etc. the best haunts have it all I think. They have the great animations and sets but tons and tons of good actors in good costumes.

Larry you talked about building realistic haunts thats great but is that really what customers want? They know its a haunted house and they know its fake so no matter joe real you make it its not very effective they want that stuff with movies, and scares and cool props in haunted houses. Maybe we should stop trying to be like the movies and more about what people want in a haunted house??

Jake

Comment

I think people want a realistic experience... I think there are some haunts out there that have way to much stuff that pops up, jumps out, and to me anyway the more of that you have the more fake your haunt is. I have bought tons upon tons of animations that DO NOT SCARE YOU that say something, or do something that enhances the room or theme. The actors do the scaring... video fx don't scare anyone, they are merely eye candy, props don't scare anyone they are again eye candy nothing more.

The best haunts will always be the ones that seem the most realistic...

Larry
                              Larry Kirchner
                              President
                              www.HalloweenProductions.com
                              www.BlacklightAttractions.com
                              www.HauntedHouseSupplies.com
                              www.HauntedHouseMagazine.com

Comment

Originally posted by drfrightner View Post
                                Keep in mind it doesn't take a Unit 70 or Scarefactory or any other kind of showroom to have a WORLD CLASS haunted house not at all... whomever says that remember that is why you don't have a WORLD class haunt. The scariest haunts out there are the ones you feel are real and they don't have one fake prop or animation.

Anyone can build a WORLD class haunt if you are creative enough to realize you don't need any animations or any latex props at all... you need great detail work, with natural lighting, and natural style props, but most importantly a great naturally haunted location. I want to build a haunted house with no props from any company you guys will walk through and your jaw will drop...

However I'm a sucker for cool props just like the rest of you I like cool animations and props but that doesn't mean you need them because you DO NOT!

Larry
                                I like this. Yes I use eye candy and biggest baddest elements to give a little wow on all levels. But when it gets the most intense is when you are walking along the 1/4 mile 5 foot wide winding trail throught that rustling corn. That 10 foot tall wall of swaying..... rustling.... living stuff. And Every.....EVERY spot along there can be hiding something or someone. And what did they say about the old burial site for livestock and the guy who shot himself out there in the swamp in 1912. They found him several days later only after the buzzards were circling.

Wicked Farmer
                                Last edited by wickedfarmer; 07-30-2013, 07:13 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X