Its that time a year again... OMG

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Its that time a year again... OMG

I'm not answering my phone much these days for a REASON! So if you can't get a hold of me this is why... I'm busy and I'm getting 10 calls a day from people asking me to help them set up a haunted house, or how they can open their own, or get advice on trying to open one. I'm like are you kidding me ... don't people know you don't put one together in 3 days?

Who else is getting these phone calls like every five minutes... someone is thinking about opening a haunt with a few locations in mind, want to know what they need to do!!! WARNING DO NOT answer your phone even if you know the number it could be a trick! LOL

Larry
    Larry Kirchner
    President
    www.HalloweenProductions.com
    www.BlacklightAttractions.com
    www.HauntedHouseSupplies.com
    www.HauntedHouseMagazine.com

Yes I have had similar

Had someone stop by last year. "I have a corn field...can we put in a maze and open in a couple weeks". I had some time...so I took him inside my maze and showed him how 3 miles of trails were graded and hand raked smooth and packed....smooth enough for wheelchairs. Told him If you are still serious come see me in Dec. and I'll get into what he needs to do to open in sept 2013.

Never saw him again.

Wicked Farmer

Comment

I get those as well. People have no idea how much work this is. I have to laugh when someone says to me in September "oh you guys must be getting ready to set up."
      www.hauntedoverload.com

Comment

10 a day sounds about right. and about 10 more a day just asking where to get this or that or who might have time to make them a custom animation. I still answer though, for this month at least.
        Allen H
        www.Stiltbeaststudios.com
        http://www.youtube.com/user/Stiltbea...s?feature=mhee

Comment

GOD BLESS you people that answer the call! lol! But for reals.... thank god!

I was just going over my haunt "bible" for the millionth time (Thanks Kelly!) and was just adjusting my schedule for next season- I hit the off switch on November 10 annnd hit the on switch February 1....

That's an improvement from the last two years but I still must be insane....
          How can a man die better than facing fearful odds, for the ashes of his fathers and the temple of his gods.

What you put into your mind- you put into your life.

www.zombietoxin.com

Comment

In the last month I have been contacted by 6 people wanting to set up my stuff for a haunt. I tried to tell them great we need to get start so that we are ready to open for the 2014 season. Sorry but people just think haunted houses when they see the Halloween USA and Spirit Halloween store banner go up. The good news is I will be opening in 2014 and I have two locations now that I will be opening. I have a great team for the build now and hope to have my makeup dept settled soon. So if you are a makeup artist in the meto Detroit area I would love to see your work.

Sorry Allen I know I was one of your calls but I don't do Victorian and you do. Lol
            Phatman

Comment

I got the call and then I asked Allen for some advice lol. This is nothing new for me though, the non-profit I used to work with never had anything in place until August. Luckily this is a small haunt and I think it will go together fairly smooth. Will see what happens.

Comment

This thread is so true! LOL
                The general consensus seems to be when we say we're planning or starting to move or build: "Seriously? But Halloween isn't until October?!?!"
                Just a couple days ago we had someone contact us about setting up a haunt for their charity and get it going for this year. They never called back. LOL
                It happens multiple times a year, EACH year...
                One funny call was a guy I actually knew a little. Everything I told him advice-wise he just acted like no problem.
                I said "You'll need wood for walls, framing, bracing, etc" He said "The city is going to donate all of that. No problem!"
                I said "You'll need insurance, lighting, props, etc" He said "They're doing that too. No problem!"
                Well it was funny because 3 years prior I pitched the idea and the city never offered anything to me.
                That was 4 years ago and I even offered him a cheap price on my former partner and I's haunt we were getting rid of and would help him move it and set it up for free...he never opened one! LOL
                A lot of folks are all talk.
                Kirk Boemmel
                Dark Ghost Manor
                www.darkghostmanor.com

sigpic

Comment

Had a guy seek me out at the police station. He wanted to me "recreate" my exact haunt in his hometown.
                  Like a midget at a urinal, you gotta be on your toes

http://www.wellstownshiphauntedhouse.com

Comment

Let me tell you the most popular phone call I get now... people call me and want to know if there is anyone in the industry that does any of the following:

1) Can someone bring a haunted house to my building and we'll share revenue ... meaning you do all the work they pay nothing and get money for it. I tell them NO ..

2) Do I know of anyone who will build them a haunted house and finance the whole entire thing... ahhh again NO!

3) Someone calls and wants to know who in the industry RENTS haunted houses... ahh again no!

I'm getting several of these questions each and every single week.

Larry
                    Larry Kirchner
                    President

Comment

Was at a festival Sunday...

We had a booth at a festival passing out flyers on our corn maze and haunt. Lady walks up with her husband a few feet behind her. She picks up one of my flyers all excited "Does this tell us how to make our own corn maze". She thought I showing people how to make them.

Step up folks and get all of Wicked Farmers secrets and know how....all you need to know to make a corn maze....all on a half sheet of paper.

Yes I HONESTLY HAVE told someone to not bother coming to my maze because "You are too damn stupid to find your way through it."

Wicked Farmer

Comment

Actually the best phone calls I get each year are these... already got two

Someone calls me from my own town and says they want to open a haunted house and want to know if I'll help them! LOL

I always ask what did you think this might cost... they always say they have about $25,000 or so to invest. I say back have you ever been to The Darkness? Yeah well $25,000 wouldn't build one scene much less pay for all the safety equipment you would need and then some...

I'll just announce this now... I'm opening a 4th Haunted House in St Louis in 2014. I hope to get it done for a tour during the Transworld Show... I don't know how much its going to cost me but it will be a TON and I mean a TON!

Opening a haunt now is one of the biggest risks possible ... between the building, labor, liability risks, marketing, safety equipment to you all know what else. I would probably say more fail than make a profit... so these calls are always interesting to listen to.

Larry
                        Larry Kirchner
                        President

Comment

Originally posted by drfrightner View Post
                          Let me tell you the most popular phone call I get now... people call me and want to know if there is anyone in the industry that does any of the following:

1) Can someone bring a haunted house to my building and we'll share revenue ... meaning you do all the work they pay nothing and get money for it. I tell them NO ..
                          I would LOVE for someone in my home town to offer me a location, and have me supply the haunt! But unlike Larry, I don't already own a pro haunted house (or in his case, soon-to-be FOUR haunted houses! Congrats Larry!)
                          Haunt: DARK REALMS

Day job: Game Composer/Sound Designer

My "geek rock" band: Legendary nOObs

Comment

What's the location on the new haunt? And what's it going to be like?

Comment

Working...
                            X