Actor exposure to strobes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Actor exposure to strobes

Does anyone have any suggestions to help shield actors who are working in strobes? We can generally find a handful that can 'tolerate' being in strobes on a continual basis, but after several nights, they burn out too. We've tried sunglasses and welding goggles - these are difficult to see through between [flashes].
    Thanks for any input!

Rotate them through, or have a "nook" with a black cloth door that allows them to retreat between patrons....?

Comment

From the way you worded your post, I guess it's safe to say that there are usually a couple minutes between groups in your haunt, so why not give the actor in rooms with strobes control over them? Give them a foot switch or a light switch and have the actor turn it on before the guests reach their room and off after they exit. Just a thought, hope it helps.

Comment

In my experience, two things seem to be the most effective. One, like mentioned before, give them a hiding place that isn't in the strobes. Two, have some form of constant light in the room, whether it's toward the front or at the end, somewhere the actor can get a break; just design the room so you still get the strobe effect you want.
        Bryce Ring
        Co-owner/ Designer
        Twisted Realms Haunted House

Comment

When I was a haunt actor, strobes lead me to quit a particular haunted ghost town (in Vegas) I worked for. They stuck me in a slanted room (with a slanted floor), and it was dark except for a strobe light that ran constantly. Between my throbbing calves from the floor, and my headaches from the strobes, I lasted about two weeks before making an early exit from the season.

Strobes should be run on a trigger... Either a pressure mat, or a button the actor can trigger.
          Haunt: DARK REALMS

Day job: Game Composer/Sound Designer

My "geek rock" band: Legendary nOObs

Comment

Thanks for the feed back everyone; greatly appreciated. Need to look closely at these options and concerns.

Comment

Always have a spot where the actor can take a break. I have worked strobe hallways but was always able to rest in a small alcove behind the last strobe. No one could see you there and it was a perfect place to pop out when needed,
              http://www.bigscaryshow.com
              http://www.rabidbadger.org

Comment

How about a really slow flashing?

Maybe not a strobe but a simple old hardware store plug-in blinker. I scared so many people taking full advantage of that very slow, predictable blink!
                I have a very thick, large piece of plexiglass with a compelling display behind it. People would sometimes cup their eyes, forehead and push against the plexiglass for a better "Look".. the slow blinker shuts off the light, count to 3or 4, I step up to the plexiglass in the dark,guessing exactly where the customer might be.. the lights is restored and they and I are right across from each other (With thick plexiglass seperating us) retina to retina! WOW! What a sensation, even for me!
                I swear it could feel some light electrical current running between our eyes! What a Thrill!
                hauntedravensgrin.com

Comment

Last year we solved this issue with a slow blinking strobe and gave the actor a remote controlled wall socket so she could turn it of between groups.

Comment

Working...
                  X