Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do you want digital versions of haunt magazines?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do you want digital versions of haunt magazines?

I thought it was time to take a poll...
    Yes! I only want digital versions of haunt magazines.
    16.67%
    I want digital AND printed versions of haunt magazines
    45.24%
    I only want printed versions of haunt magazines
    35.71%
    I do not read haunt magazines
    2.38%
    Last edited by Dark Tiki Studios; 08-15-2013, 01:01 AM.
    Haunt: DARK REALMS

Day job: Game Composer/Sound Designer

My "geek rock" band: Legendary nOObs

I prefer digital, but would want an option for either.

-Tyler
    http://www.hauntdesignkit.com
    >Download free Google SketchUp collections made just for haunt owners and designers.

Like us on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/HauntDesignKit

Comment

Couple things... digital to print and everything between. First off anyone can start a magazine and many have and most have gone out of business or stopped printing or gave up or whatever. The internet is so full of information now that a digital magazine to me seems like a total waste of money because you already know 99% of the stuff in the magazine is stuff you might find right here on these forums the web or somewhere for FREE!

So why would you pay for something just to say you are ??? Information is so free now you don't need to pay even five cents for something like that... then you have to look at what information is even being provided is it worth 10 cents? Is it information I didn't need to pay for or I could have got somewhere else for nothing? Those are questions you should ask yourself!

Just because someone starts something doesn't mean you should support it buy into it or even give it a second thought. Its really no different than all these haunt directories that pop up... tons do you know! They automatically ask you to pay money for something they just created out of the thin blue sky and it doesn't have 5 people visiting the website. Now lets talk about different formats for sites that offer some sort of industry information lets look back on Rotting Flesh Radio for example... what happened there? See my point?

Doesn't really matter what format you put these things into at the end of the day its worth is not only your money but also your time to even look at it... now I'm not saying a digital magazine from anyone will or won't be worthy of your time or investment I'm merely pointing out anyone can do it and anyone can try to charge you for it but it doesn't make it worth it.

I have considered many times making Hauntworld a digital magazine ... the last issue #34 cost me about $6500 to print, $5000 to layout and another couple grand to mail to your doors! In other words its real damn expensive...

I could make Hauntworld Magazine digital in three seconds and save a ton of money in fact we already make it digital every single one... so I can review it online because Brainstorm does the layout they happen to be in Colorado. LOL. So they create a digital version so I can review the magazine before we ever consider going to print. So it wouldn't be that hard...

Now it boils down to this... I bet I'm right on this but people want that magazine in their hand, they want to put it on their shelf, they show it to people involved in their business, they collect them, they want to sit on an airplane, or eat lunch and read it ... people collect these things believe it or not. I think people want the printed version and it really separates the men from the boys so to speak as well... one group is willing to put money into and ship it to you while others want to take the cheap and easy way. Remember there have been other digital magazine prior and they all stopped at one point or another. Its a lot of work no matter digital or print.

But here is the bottom bottom line... we are the only one left that I know of after so many have come and failed come back again only to stop start whatever, blah, blah... we still print the magazine and we've had one philosophy NO DISNEY HAUNTED MANSION STUFF, NO ARTICLES ABOUT GHOST HUNTING, OR HOW TO MAKE A CRANK GHOST or whatever... every issue is about professional haunted house owners and operators.

The information comes from me and people I know and I trust... my goal with each issue is to HELP YOUR BUSINESS end of story. I'm well aware that the minute the web became so powerful things like newspapers and magazines and to some degree your local TV news would become obsolete. The only way to stay relevant is to offer something you can't get anywhere else... I think with the magazine we've helped thousands of people stay in business, start their business, or grow their business. That is somewhat rewarding to me and probably the only reason we keep doing it...

So when its all said and done the magazine does not make money not even close and without the supporters we have we couldn't even print the thing... so we appreciate them as well. If one day we decide to stop printing the magazine we probably won't do a digital version because what would be the point? The web is filled with the same information on a daily basis ... just check around if you want it you'll find it. And lastly the minute we run out of ways to keep any magazine I mean printed or digital relevant with fresh idea's something you can't get all over the web for nothing... that is truly the day to give it up. Until then as long as the haunt industry wants us to we'll keep trying to print the single highest quality magazine every printed in this industry! I believe that 110%! No expense is spared we put YOUR money to work!

So I think that is the point digital or print!

Larry
      Larry Kirchner
      President
      www.HalloweenProductions.com
      www.BlacklightAttractions.com
      www.HauntedHouseSupplies.com
      www.HauntedHouseMagazine.com

Comment

I respect your opinion, Larry. You know far more about haunt magazines than I. As a mere consumer, I would like the option of buying digital copies. In my opinion, there is very useful information in Haunt World Magazine, and some of it you can't find elsewhere on the web. I think you might be under-valuing your magazine's content.

E-books have allowed me to free up space in my house, and make it so I can carry my entire collection of media with me in one iPad (minus the few pieces of my collection that have not yet gone digital). I do take it on planes. Someone next to me might have a nice-looking book to read, but I have ALL my books at my finger tips. When I'm in my workshop working on sets or props, I have access (via my iPad) to thousands of "how to" articles, reference pictures, etc. It's all right there in one compact package, instead of spread out over multiple binders or boxes. It is a great time-saver.

Since you already make a digital copy of each issue anyhow, perhaps you could offer a digital version in addition to the print version? Either way, thanks for making a great magazine!
        Haunt: DARK REALMS

Day job: Game Composer/Sound Designer

My "geek rock" band: Legendary nOObs

Comment

I think you read that wrong... I do value the information that we put in the magazine. I think that is my main point that unlike many of the others who attempted magazines I've always stuck to the one approach of helping ONLY haunt owners and operators no enthusiast stuff, no ghost hunting stuff, no disney haunted mansion stuff, no how to make something out of pvc pipe. Everything we've done has focused on business and marketing related stuff mostly, this last issue again had many things related to operation and focused on screamparks.

As you know (LOL) I'm kind of big on the web here... I live on it daily! So I know what is out there I'm no dummy so when we produce a magazine we look at what is going on RIGHT NOW, what are the issues, what do people need to know RIGHT NOW!!! I think that is the main reason why our magazine has stayed in business and stayed printing a magazine unlike most of the others.

I don't worry nor have I ever worried about what someone else is doing or some competitor or anything... I focus on what I'm doing because I know if I stayed focus we have nothing to worry about. If we go digital we'll stop printing the magazine because it would make no sense... you can't spend all that time and money to lay one out for say half the people the cost wouldn't change much. You either do digital or you do print but doing both unless you have a heap amount of advertisers it makes no sense.

The bottom line is even if someone does a digital version it won't matter... they might have 50 people looking at it and I'm sure people will stay say oh no there are thousands! LOL You have to trust who you are dealing with, and trust it helps your business or there is no point. Like I said there are tons of people starting something a podcast, an online magazine, a haunt directory, some news website, some facebook message group or whatever... does it mean anyone is paying attention, much less paying for it? I doubt it ...

We are a very very busy industry because 99% of the haunters out there are the marketing guy, the construction guy, the manager, the problem solver the guy who deals with the cities issues to the guy who tries to find time to read a magazine or go to a convention. Same reason again this is why all these tradeshows aren't successful...

Let me put it to you this way... every city has one main gun haunted house and from there the second place haunt has less business, the third guy might by 1/4 the business as the first guy, and the 5th and 6th I mean c'mon their business is so bad why are they there...

Same goes with Haunt tradeshows you visit IAAPA you see tens of thousands, you see Transworld, you see Hauntcon you see MHC, or this thing in Philly or that thing in Canada or this thing on the west side, or whatever... you see and know the difference. Someone is raking in the vendors, the speakers, the overall attendance and from there it all slides down hill...

Use your eyes and your brain... not everything is the same.

Larry
          Larry Kirchner
          President

Comment

I want a magazine in my hand, not in my hard drive.
            www.Stiltbeaststudios.com
            http://www.youtube.com/user/Stiltbea...s?feature=mhee

Comment

Originally posted by Allen H View Post
              I want a magazine in my hand, not in my hard drive.
              But don't you do YouTube tutorials every week? Shouldn't you of all people embrace online info as that's how you made your name from?

DA

Comment

Here we go again.....

Comment

So...let me get this straight. The only reason Hauntworld won't be digital is because you FEEL that a hard copy that we can hold is worth more? I mean, the information is the same whether it be a digital or hard copy magazine, right? So the quality of the information provided isn't a sound argument. If your goal with Hauntworld is to improve business for haunt owners, then it's irrelevant if the magazine is digital or not because the content is the same.

Personally, if given the OPTION...I'd do both. Want an example of a very successful magazine that offers both hardcopy and digital versions? Cinefex Magazine! This is a classic magazine that anybody who makes props, costumes or makeup should have. They have recently went digital and are selling a TON of new subscriptions.

Your content options are also greater in a digital magazine. You'd have the opportunity to provide interactive content such as audio clips, videos, PDF's, etc. etc. Something you simply can't offer with the hard copy magazine.

So, if the nostalgia of just being able to "hold" a hard copy magazine is the only reason (which it is the only reason, no matter what you argue) that Hauntworld is NOT digital, then it will fail. Just like the Microsoft Zune, Flip phones and CD's. Sorry...but I predict someday Hauntworld WILL indeed offer a digital version. Since it'd be no "extra" work, what's to lose.

Just pointing out the facts.

-Tyler
                  http://www.hauntdesignkit.com
                  >Download free Google SketchUp collections made just for haunt owners and designers.

Like us on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/HauntDesignKit

Comment

Tyler,

No that is not what I said... again that is a typical issue with all message boards in general. No what I'm saying is and I hope I was clear ... ANYONE YOU ME YOUR GRANDMA can do a digital magazine, a blog, a podcast, a haunt directory, do online seminars or whatever else you want and I'm saying clear as day that there are zillions of people out there doing it. ANYONE CAN AND DOES DO THAT... so why should you pay for it? Just because someone says you should? I think not...

There is tons upon tons of content on youtube now that making how to dvd's doesn't really make sense anymore... so if you do do them you better make sure they are good!!! I think what Allen does with his youtube videos is amazing... he deserves a ton of credit!

I think there are so many guys out there like Allan or guys doing blogs or doing podcasts that you don't really need to pay for a digital magazine. Anyone can download the program and make one... I think what you are really going to see from some of these things is more promoting themselves or patting themselves on the back on your dime.

No one needs that when there is so much FREE digital stuff out there... who's to say who deserves to do a magazine and charge for it and who doesn't. These Selling Halloween people are now doing a haunt magazine should they be... I don't think so. What do they know about running a haunted house... so is it about expanding what they do to get more marketing dollars or promote the haunt industry. You figure that one out.

So the reason I'm not going to do a digital magazine is because that isn't he spirit of a magazine first off, and secondly because anyone can do that and do for FREE, and lastly because I don't think that is what people want. There is something to getting that in your mailbox much to the same I use to be excited about getting the new updated Morris Catalog.

The great thing about doing something digital is again ANYONE CAN DO IT and they don't even have to really know what they are talking about to do it... I guess the same goes for printing a magazine but at least there you have to spend a lot more time and effort to do so...

Lastly let me say this ... Hauntworld.com has MORE CONTENT and INFORMATION already than every single haunted house or halloween website combined... and its all FREE! We have a blog and we post info on that, we post here, we have a facebook and put info out on that as well.

So we just don't need a digital magazine.

Larry
                    Larry Kirchner
                    President

Comment

Sorry digital magazines are this forum. I would never read or pay for a digital magazine when I could have a print one.
                      Lordgrimley.com for the very best items on the net.

Comment

"But don't you do YouTube tutorials every week? Shouldn't you of all people embrace online info as that's how you made your name from?"
                        The info IS online, thats kinda the point. It seems like half (or more) of Hauntworld magazine now is provided pics and generic write ups of haunts. I can get most of that from their website (even the pics). So unless Hauntworld does a major format change then online wont do very well in my opinion, at least it wont appeal to me. It may appeal to you and I think you should have it. I never said it shouldnt be online, I am just not interested in that.
                        Haunted houses are tactile by nature, you need to smell them, hear them, feel them. A magazine smells like the ink and paper its printed on, the quality of the paper has a feel to it. It exists. Its romantic, its nostalgic and it is worth preserving. That is my opinion-opinions cannot be wrong- but they can be changed. I am romantic by nature so that is unlikely. Your opinion is not wrong, just different than mine.
                        Allen H

Comment

Expanding this same conversation- why make a haunted house at all? just make a movie of a haunted house!

Comment

WOW Allan just pulled out the big guns lol....I see both sides I agree nothing beats the original magazine and being able to receive it and read all the way through it. I'm a traditionalist as well but on the flip side.....I love the space saving aspect of digital and that's about all.....the fact that I can pull from over god knows how many mags in one source is awesome. As far as inspiration though nothing beats taking a couple of your favorite magazines or pictures and spreading them out across a large table to try and figure out where you're trying to take your project. Oh and Allan nothing beats the stimulation of a good haunted house and that's why a movie can never do this industry justice. Just my opinion though

Comment

Why don't you all just give this magazine a chance?
                              HA mag was around long before hauntworld and its a new age. Who cares what the format is as long as its good for the industry?

It gives the industry more balance since now it's pretty much hauntworld mag and this forum at least now there is and magazine it keeps things a little more balanced.

Online or in hand, it deserves a chance and I'm sure many of the people complaining about it now will be trying to be included if it takes off.

Jake

Comment

Working...
                              X