Nun Actor – Yes/ No ???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nun Actor – Yes/ No ???

We have a new attraction at the ScareAtorium this year; the Northland Asylum. We’re considering adding a Nun character to our haunt (maybe two) to work in the Asylum. Just curious if anyone else has tried having a nun wearing a habit while performing at their haunt. If so, have you had any problems with the community reacting either positive or negative?

I’ve seen the nuns who perform on the FX show American Horror Story – Asylum and they’re really creepy.

Looking for feedback; thanks for your comments,

Kelly Collins
    The ScareAtorium Columbus

Well, I'd have to defer to the godfather of all risky activity- P.T. Barnum: "There is no such thing as bad publicity."

I think you personally might feel bad if people react against how you think they should act. You're probably the only one that can answer your own question.

Personally, I wouldn't have much of an issue if the skit does exactly what it is supposed to do.
    How can a man die better than facing fearful odds, for the ashes of his fathers and the temple of his gods.

What you put into your mind- you put into your life.

www.zombietoxin.com

Comment

Huh, I just googled that and found a better phrase- "All publicity is good if it is intelligent."
      How can a man die better than facing fearful odds, for the ashes of his fathers and the temple of his gods.

What you put into your mind- you put into your life.

www.zombietoxin.com

Comment

Nun works better than a priest in terms of negative feedback. It accomplishes the same thing, but viewed upon differently I think
        Like a midget at a urinal, you gotta be on your toes

http://www.wellstownshiphauntedhouse.com

Comment

Yeah I can second the above: we had an exorcist scene and had a priest originally. And a handful of people complained, we switched to a nun and no one was offended...and it was even a little creepier. I don't get it....but whatever, I say do it!

Comment

Sister Showno Mercy

Was a character in my Murder Mystery script I used for several years in Ravens Grin. Nobody had a problem with it, infact it was pretty funny,especially when a male dressed and played that part (And was the murderer!)
            One Halloween season as I was in numerous costume contests the "Nunn" was a popular image except the young black woman who was dressed as a very pregnant Nunn was very worried when she made it passed the first round and was going to be publically named as the winner.. possibly? She wasn't. (I think I was.) No I was not dressed as a pregnant Nun either.

To see a guy dressed as a Nun with a few day;s beard growth strikes me as pretty funny, I saw this too.
            There was a big mansion in Wisc. owned by the Catholic Church and they allowed it to be used as a haunted house and all they did not want to have happen in their mansion was any Exorcist rooms.
            hauntedravensgrin.com

Comment

Yeah, my staff is divided on whether to do this or not. I've always avoided anything religious.

After watching American Horror Story – Asylum; I felt it might be worth a try.

Thanks for the comments; kind of surprised many others haven’t tried it before. Now we're looking at how to sew the costume (Habit).

Kelly Collins
              The ScareAtorium Columbus

Comment

Im overly cautious on such things, and I truely do not want to offend anyone. I would not do it, but the Texas market is a bit different I suppose.
                www.Stiltbeaststudios.com
                http://www.youtube.com/user/Stiltbea...s?feature=mhee

Comment

Religion is very important to some people... Why ruin their fun, when there are so many other characters you could conceive? It just seems unnecessary to me.
                  Haunt: DARK REALMS

Day job: Game Composer/Sound Designer

My "geek rock" band: Legendary nOObs

Comment

We did once....reluctantly

I had one of my actresses in a nun outfit once. I was afraid of comments from public (midwest small town) but never heard a complaint and the nun said she never detected a concern from public. BUT she was not doing things that would encourage complaints. It was a type of funeral parlor sceneshe was in. Ghost Bust was standingin the corner in a standing casket. And she would say "Oh my child; your eyes are all dialated; looks like you have been scared. Take a look in the mirrior and see how big your pupils are." Of courseit was a Scary mary mirrior that they tried to look into.

Wicked Farmer

Comment

Everything has its own place.
                      It depends on what your nun is doing or saying!

If she is warning people and saying prayers ..That would be fine.

If she is all bloody stabbing something with a cross. NO

stew

Comment

YES! Remember you wouldn't be the first to do this movies have done this multiple times ... so 110% YES! I think people are scared of them... I know I was when I was a youth going to catholic school! Larry
                        Larry Kirchner
                        President
                        www.HalloweenProductions.com
                        www.BlacklightAttractions.com
                        www.HauntedHouseSupplies.com
                        www.HauntedHouseMagazine.com

Comment

We have an Acting Coach position (1 for every 15 actors) where our best actors perform as roamers and coach other actors. They interact with the other actors showing them performance techniques and tips. I was thinking about trying one as a nun. He/she could interact with the staff and patients in the asylum. As an authoritative figure dishing out discipline while interacting with our guests.

Definitely won’t do anything demonic. Thanks again for your thoughts and comments!

Have a great season!! Just a month away.

Kelly Collins
                          The ScareAtorium

Comment

Just thought I would share the current success we are having with our nun character. She greets them when they arrive and lines them up against the wall before reading them the rules before entering the haunt. She carries a ruler and smacks it against her hand as she reads the rules. This includes telling everyone to spit out their gum (as she holds up a trash can). It’s funny to watch, but everyone is intimated as she orders them about. Our nun is actually a guy dressed as a woman. No one can tell it’s a guy. He wears a Habit and a padded bra and hip pads. Also black heeled shoes and he’s face painted with an old age appearance. He/she sounds like an 80 year old female chain smoker!

Lots of groups want their picture taken with her as they leave. We haven’t had any complaints about using a nun in this position either. I’ll try to post a picture later.

Kelly Collins

The ScareAtorium Columbus, Ohio

Comment

Have one at the Haunted Hotel-13th Floor this year

We have one girl dressing as a nun with no complaints.
                              Brett Molitor (aka ~ JamBam) Member of HAA

Haunted Hotel-13th Floor (est by Huntington Jaycees in 1968 8) )
                              Longest running Haunted House in the WORLD!!

Hysterium Haunted Asylum (old Haunted Cave), Fort Wayne Indiana

Hysterium Escapes - 4 rooms with 3 themes

www.HauntedHuntington.com

www.facebook.com/hauntedhotel

www.Hysterium.com

www.facebook.com/HysteriumFtWayne

www.hysteriumescapes.com

www.facebook.com/hysteriumescapes

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X