• Hangsmans - Dallas Texas to Close

http://www.star-telegram.com/2013/08...ors-chief.html
    Larry Kirchner
    President
    www.HalloweenProductions.com
    www.BlacklightAttractions.com
    www.HauntedHouseSupplies.com
    www.HauntedHouseMagazine.com

The day Hangsman closes will be a sad day. I went through it with he Hauntcon tour this year and I was very impressed with what could be done with very little funds. What the volunteers did with just about $200 per room was very impressive. The made things from scratch and with hard work was professional quality. I truly hope that someone steps up to take over and keep this going in the future.
    Phatman

Comment

It's always sad to see any haunt go, especially one that has a great reputation.

But it does sound pretty dated, full of cliches and all the stuff you'd expect from decades past,

"The theme for the final Hangman’s is “Unhappily Ever After,” and returns to one of the most popular themes in Hangman’s history: “scary tales.”
      There will be riffs on Pinocchio, Jack and the Beanstalk, The Wizard of Oz, Hansel and Gretel and other classic tales. And of course perennial favorites, such as the black-and-white checkered room, the scary clowns and the spinning tunnel, will remain. So will the 3-D Wonderland attraction and the Labyrinth maze. The attraction previously inhabited by scary hillbillies in “McDagenville” will change to an on-trend zombie theme of “outbreak.”

I wish her and the team there luck!

DA

Comment

Dark I know it sounds cheesy but it really was a lot better than it sounds. Out of the 22 haunt we went to on the Hauntcon tour I would say that most like it a lot. It ranked in the top 5 or 6 we saw and for enjoyment factor I personally thought it was a great venue with band stand, a very good 3D haunt and it was very large. What they did with other people's leftovers was impressive and a testament of the dedicated crew they must have. I personally saw a lot Allen Hopps in the place you could tell they watch his YouTube channel. I wish them some luck it would be a shame if this place closes, but if they loose the land it's on it would too much to move and that may seal its fate.
        Phatman

Comment

Originally posted by Darkangel View Post
          It's always sad to see any haunt go, especially one that has a great reputation.

But it does sound pretty dated, full of cliches and all the stuff you'd expect from decades past,

"The theme for the final Hangman’s is “Unhappily Ever After,” and returns to one of the most popular themes in Hangman’s history: “scary tales.”
          There will be riffs on Pinocchio, Jack and the Beanstalk, The Wizard of Oz, Hansel and Gretel and other classic tales. And of course perennial favorites, such as the black-and-white checkered room, the scary clowns and the spinning tunnel, will remain. So will the 3-D Wonderland attraction and the Labyrinth maze. The attraction previously inhabited by scary hillbillies in “McDagenville” will change to an on-trend zombie theme of “outbreak.”

I wish her and the team there luck!

DA
          Coming from someone who's actually been there, I couldn't disagree more. It's a very unique attraction and setup and is far from a typical "charity haunt". I can't speak for everyone but the general consensus on the HAuNTcon tour was that people would take Hangman's over Cutting Edge any day.
          Mike Quill
          Fear Town Haunted House

Comment

Mike I agree I was very disappointed in Cutting Edge, I thought the best part was the que line band and the clown in que line actor. Hangman's was by far the suprise of the tour and just goes to show us that you don't have to spend lots of money to have a good haunt and that bigger is not always better. I hope Hangman will still be there on my next trip to Dallas.
            Phatman

Comment

I am sad to see hangmans come to an end !!! Hangmans has always been a traditional haunt here in TX. Down town Ft worth will not b the same !!!
              I'm only doing this to impress 2 people ... The fire marshal and the customer that's it !!!

Comment

Sad story to hear that this haunt will be shutting down......... I am not sure if anyone else caught it in the article but it said a good portion of the reason for shutting down was because for profit attractions are getting to advanced in their haunts that non-profits can't keep up.

If you ask me that is a realistic threat to non profit haunts and to me it's a little unfair because they are the ones that give 100% of their funds to a good cause and can make a big difference in their operations or keep them a float as their only source of income.

I'm not saying that for profit haunters should not be the best that they can be, but they should keep in mind of those other haunts that are local and depend of 100% volunteers through donations of time and money just to make it through every season. They don't have the abilities that for profit haunts have, maybe consider this thought if peoples egos are not to big the for profit haunts could make some sort of contribution to the non profit haunts........ this way this sort of thing does not happen especially for those non profits that have been around for years and have a good reputation.

If it were me as a for profit haunter, I know I would help them out as they are just as important to the industry as everyone else.

Just my 2 cents,

Mr. Haunt

Comment

For those who might not understand what I just said above, say you have a non profit haunt that raises $100,000 for a charity every single season and requires $5,000 or so for operating costs to reopen every season, receives a gift donation from a for profit haunt that normaly gives that amount to another charity.........what more can I say "I the for profit haunt gives $5,000 to a non profit haunt that turns it into $100,000" to me that's what we all should be doing because for one it's good PR and it keeps the haunting industry strong.

Mr. Haunt

Comment

I will say it again, I would do it hands down no questions........

Mr. Haunt

Comment

Trying to figure out what you're saying Mr. Haunt.. confused
                      Why wouldn't a non profit haunt take cost out of funds. That doesn't make sense to me since even investors can make profit on a non profit. If set up as a foundation it can give as little as 5% minus cost and the rest could stay in the assets and operating cost. Not sure in the logic in making a donation to a non profit haunt to keep it open unless its your charity write off. Since its funds should be self supportive as any non profit biz. What I am missing here?

Comment

Hell no should a pro haunter cut a check to ANY other haunts that's just plain stupid logic. They can cut a check to the charity directly but like it or not its the business world and you want to crush your competition and lame or not a charity haunt is competing against a pro and therefore not someone to pay money too. It's dog eat dog in the real world if the charity haunt can't keep up with the big pro one anymore then move on to doing bake sales. Not trying to be a jerk but that's how things work. You know what the old saying is CHARITY STARTS AT HOME".

DA

Comment

Part of it could be what's called "Minnesota Nice", haunts up here are not in the business to put others out of business. Nor are they competing for who is better then the other or who has more of the expensive stuff. There are no haunts up this direction also that I would consider full-time haunts that work on their profession in a permanent location. Yes they never move, but they don't have the space to them selves 365 days of the year because they either run another business through out the year or the space is used for something else.

After laying in bed last night I did think of this, one for profit haunt doesn't need to provide ALL of the funds but maybe a couple. I guess there would be some people on this forum who don't understand my idea and there are going to be those who would say well why would anybody want to do that?

If you have reached that question, then you may never understand I would again much rather be friends with other local haunters and maybe that's what it comes down to. Who is friendly and who isn't would be the question??? Why would you want to help out someone who doesn't deserve it, but why not do it for someone who does???

I know haunting is a business or a part of a business, I guess I would just be the bigger person to go out of my way to do something nice for another haunt who shares the same passion as I do. No I wouldn't just do it for anyone shoot maybe it wouldn't be a donation strait to the charity, but maybe as a "silent sponsor" it would be a gift either way.

If I am to warm and fuzzy about the whole idea then I am. I just would never be in the business to hurt others and if someone in the business was struggling, had a good reputation, were friendly in return, and was passionate about what they were doing I would try and help them anyway I could.

Just me I guess.

Mr. Haunt

Comment

I am one of those that it's better to work together than be combative. I try to work with everyone and give them support to be the best they can be. Just this year I have loaned out over 100 walls, 4 coffin wall vac forms, 9 toe pincher coffins, and 40 mask. This did not cost me any thing and I look at it as when I am in need these people will come to support me. I do business as if we are family and if you cannot do business then I have no need for you. I had the opportunity to open a location this year and had 3 other haunts volunteer to help me build it with their employee, all I can say is these are the people that I can trust and will do any thing for. Being negative builds negativity and that is not a good environment for any business no mater what it is.
                            Phatman

Comment

Mr haunt have you considered that's its the lack of killer instinct that's resulted in the lack of a major successful haunt in your city?

It's a dog eat dog world and you can tell the real businessmen by how big and successful they are the soft cant we all just get along guys will stay mediocre.

DA

Comment

Working...
                              X