No announcement yet.

What an fool... Naked Haunted House Offered

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This thread makes me LOL. Oh noes, controlled, concealed nudity in the industry!

We better grab out pitch forks and tell this small business owner what to do, because it's our job! It's immoral, despite the fact we run haunted attractions that depict murder, enslavement, kidnapping, and sometimes irreverence.

What moral basis exists where one can complain about voluntary, controlled and safe nudity as a PR stunt but fully accept haunts that show so many acts that have a basis.

IRONY.

If anyone feels like responding to my post, I won't be responding in turn. This entire thread is ironic trolling.

Comment

to be (naked ) or not to be (naked) that is the question....

I have been watching and reading the past week about Pat's Shocktoberfest ""Unknown Haunted House" event that has gone viral nationally and has many different comments on this thread.

Personally I think it is an event that will be a fad of a year or two. The popularity of the Naked and Afraid show on the Family type channel, Discovery Channel has been very high. One has to be careful not to let it get out of hand. From what I have read it appears that Pat is setting it up to avoid problems, much like the Discovery channel blurs the body parts on the show.

The idea at this time seems very ingenious and has been a PR hit and got many talking. Larry has a point of the possible stereotype that the whole event may get. The personal attacks I have read on this thread only expose people themselves for who they are. Discuss the idea and make your points.

Would I do that in my haunt, in little small town Huntington, Indiana? The haunt that is the longest running haunt in the world even if it isn't recognized by certain experts and industry self proclaimed sites and associations? No. I won't be doing it in Huntington.

Would I do it in Ft Wayne, Indiana, at the Haunted Cave, my new haunt I just bought? Maybe. Ft Wayne is a bigger market. How would I do it? Well, one of the local radio stations morning shows that have a man and woman in their late 20's hosting have brought the idea to me to do a a ONE night charity fundraiser. So yes I may do it and keep it to one night and have fun with it as well as be very careful to control the whole event in a way to not lose our identity to a stereotype of that haunt with naked people.

Why would I do it? If done right, the event would garner publicity, and with the radio station involved like this it would be a fad event with a charity benefiting. Several years ago we did an event that Kelly Collins had talked about in a seminar at MWH that we used. Try to stay the night at the Haunted Hotel was done with a Halloween costume store. At the end of the season ten names were drawn and the person who picked the right key (only 3 were brave enough to show up) got to stay after we closed on a Saturday night and had to be there until dawn to win $1000. The hand picked staff was promised $500 to split if they were successful in scaring them out. The kid stayed, but almost left in the middle of the night. The talk of that promotion went for several years as we kept fielding calls about it by people wanting to volunteer to try to win the money.

As many have mentioned, this industry has a wide variety of event themes within itself and the idea of leaving a fear, that of being naked around others, is not broached very often. But the one host on the Today show that did say she would try it was from the United Kingdom, where nudity isn't the prudish thing we Americans make it out to be. The idea is not about sex, but fear of nudity around others.

http://www.wmee.com/portals/0/images...how/WMEEMS.jpg
      Brett Molitor (aka ~ JamBam) Member of HAA

Haunted Hotel-13th Floor (est by Huntington Jaycees in 1968 8) )
      Longest running Haunted House in the WORLD!!

Hysterium Haunted Asylum (old Haunted Cave), Fort Wayne Indiana

Hysterium Escapes - 4 rooms with 3 themes

www.HauntedHuntington.com

www.facebook.com/hauntedhotel

www.Hysterium.com

www.facebook.com/HysteriumFtWayne

www.hysteriumescapes.com

www.facebook.com/hysteriumescapes

sigpic

Comment

to be (naked ) or not to be (naked) that is the question....

I have been watching and reading the past week about Pat's Shocktoberfest ""Unknown Haunted House" event that has gone viral nationally and has many different comments on this thread.

Personally I think it is an event that will be a fad of a year or two. The popularity of the Naked and Afraid show on the Family type channel, Discovery Channel has been very high. One has to be careful not to let it get out of hand. From what I have read it appears that Pat is setting it up to avoid problems, much like the Discovery channel blurs the body parts on the show.

The idea at this time seems very ingenious and has been a PR hit and got many talking. Larry has a point of the possible stereotype that the whole event may get. The personal attacks I have read on this thread only expose people themselves for who they are. Discuss the idea and make your points.

Would I do that in my haunt, in little small town Huntington, Indiana? The haunt that is the longest running haunt in the world even if it isn't recognized by certain experts and industry self proclaimed sites and associations? No. I won't be doing it in Huntington.

Would I do it in Ft Wayne, Indiana, at the Haunted Cave, my new haunt I just bought? Maybe. Ft Wayne is a bigger market. How would I do it? Well, one of the local radio stations morning shows that have a man and woman in their late 20's hosting have brought the idea to me to do a a ONE night charity fundraiser. So yes I may do it and keep it to one night and have fun with it as well as be very careful to control the whole event in a way to not lose our identity to a stereotype of that haunt with naked people.

Why would I do it? If done right, the event would garner publicity, and with the radio station involved like this it would be a fad event with a charity benefiting. Several years ago we did an event that Kelly Collins had talked about in a seminar at MWH that we used. Try to stay the night at the Haunted Hotel was done with a Halloween costume store. At the end of the season ten names were drawn and the person who picked the right key (only 3 were brave enough to show up) got to stay after we closed on a Saturday night and had to be there until dawn to win $1000. The hand picked staff was promised $500 to split if they were successful in scaring them out. The kid stayed, but almost left in the middle of the night. The talk of that promotion went for several years as we kept fielding calls about it by people wanting to volunteer to try to win the money.

As many have mentioned, this industry has a wide variety of event themes within itself and the idea of leaving a fear, that of being naked around others, is not broached very often. But the one host on the Today show that did say she would try it was from the United Kingdom, where nudity isn't the prudish thing we Americans make it out to be. The idea is not about sex, but fear of nudity around others.

http://www.wmee.com/portals/0/images...how/WMEEMS.jpg
        Attached Files

www.Hysterium.com

www.hysteriumescapes.com

sigpic

Comment

Looks like the bad press caught up to him after all.

http://philadelphia.cbslocal.com/201...red-promotion/

Comment

Good Job

When I started I had a church stealing my signs (the sign from God you have heard so much about) and calling me a devil worshiper. Newspapers wrote editorials and radio stations speculated on their talk shows. Free advertizing - priceless. The next year attendance tripled with our slogan "Come see what the devil worshipers are doing this year. Maybe he'll be lucky enough to have protesters - ongoing advertizing. Look at Madonna, worth just short of a billion. Miley Sirus, lewd all the way to the bank. Contraversy sells
            George Maser 864-761-7223, masertents@gmail.com. For the fastest response please call or text! (I talk much better than I type)

Comment

I wonder if any of the people who ripped on me will apologize. Go back and read what I said about dragging unwanted attention upon yourself from city officials. Looks like I was 110 percent correct and the whole thing backfired. He got the community upset and the city officials and now after all the hype no more naked haunt. Hey I'm getting older but I'm not that old or dumb enough to think this was a good idea. I try to offer my opinions to help inspire discussion not slam a haunt. Maybe now u can say yeah that Larry has been around the block a few times maybe something he says might be worth considering. Larry
              Larry Kirchner
              President
              www.HalloweenProductions.com
              www.BlacklightAttractions.com
              www.HauntedHouseSupplies.com
              www.HauntedHouseMagazine.com

Comment

Damnit Ive been waiting all this time outside naked...Now I gotta go back to my car and fetch my Thong....its a good thing Larry got me and him matching ones for our Bday...Mine says...Wanna see my Darkness and Larrys says STAND BACK, IM ABOUT TO UNLEASH MY DARKNESS
                Jesus loves you, but everyone else thinks you're an asshole.

Comment

I was talking to Ross Karpelman a couple of years ago and he claimed that what put House of Shock on the map was all the churches around him coming out to protest in front of his haunt. He claimed that the news crews and people wanted to come see what was so bad and disrespectful about the haunt. I personally think what Pat did was a cheep marketing ploy, but it ended up producing a lot of free advertisement. P.T Barnum did similar things in the 1840's and he is now renowned as a great promoter. Pat I am sorry but I think it was tasteless but only time will tell, and I hope the city doesn't get into your business too much or this may backfire on you. Larry I agree that having the city upset with your haunt could be bad, they have a way of making things a lot tougher on people they don't want in their city. I would not be surprised to see a fire marshal making a visit, and lets face it if a fire marshal whats to find something they can in almost all haunts.
                  Phatman

Comment

so was it a man eating chicken or just a man that was eating chicken?

Not sure that I would pat anyone on the back for predictions without more info. The old circus side show "man eating chicken ploy" may have been played here better than most who have done it before, with or without the home-made crown.

Seems to have worked in a big market before.....

www.Hysterium.com

www.hysteriumescapes.com

sigpic

Comment

Sounds to me..

Sounds to me like everything worked out 110% perfect. Of couse city officials would have a problem with it. We live in PA! If your not a conservative, church going person, then your apparently going to hell. Come on we are in the haunt industry, since when did townships ever encourage haunted houses (at least in my area).

National (wordlwide) attention was grabbed for Shocktoberfest, and now with the nude part cut, any possible lawsuits (not there would be any with all the security) will be avoided, families can bring their kids (if that was stopping them before) and people that liked the idea will continue to bitch to the city about bringing it back. If they succeed it would have a more positive light this time.

That free million dollar marketing campaign worked out pretty damn well...
                      Jarred Alcala
                      Owner
                      Shattered FX

www.Shatteredfx.com
                      www.Facebook.com/Shatteredfxmasks

Comment

Jarred,

I TOTALLY disagree with you, I think its just the opposite because it is the opposite. He got PR for a naked haunted house, all they talked about was a naked haunted house, not the actually event he will now open. Now the PR is the opposite no more NAKED haunted house because as I think I read Pat said he took some backlash and the city officials more or less nixed the idea. I flat out said that would happen... now he's probably got others in the community thinking he's a loose cannon, maybe a weirdo or something... now they might be looking at him more than before. Additionally now that the PR was for a NAKED haunt and now there is no NAKED haunt ... I think people will be like great lets go to Bates, of Field of Screams, or the zillion other haunts in the area. I think this totally backfired in his face.

Lastly I want to point out something... there is a difference between bashing a haunter and debating the merits of an issue. The issue here is should haunted houses go to the extreme to gain PR or customers... how far should you go or can you go and is it a good idea. The people on this forum who took this conversation as a bash on Pat are wrong flat out... I totally disagree with your point of view 1000 and 10 percent.

The entire point of everything I was saying turned out to be fact... you bring unwanted attention on you it could damage your business, it could end your business, it can flat out put your haunt in the graveyard. This was a great topic of discussion because someone did something in my opinion very foolish and as it turned out the people who disagreed where right. The others who bashed on me or others for saying it was a bad idea are fools themselves who wouldn't dare do the same thing if their life depended on it but we are the fools. Ah huh.

Look the point of these forums are clear you can offer information, you can trade props, you can learn from others, you can also debate topics without making accusations that someone is trying to hurt another haunter. Fact is Pat hurt himself we didn't...

Lastly, if you can't debate this topics without trying to steer off the main point then what is the point. We are hear to get each others points of view even if we don't agree with them.

I'll be honestly I've learned from these forums even when I thought I was right about something I realized I was wrong... I hate to admit it sometimes but even I'm wrong sometimes (LOL) (JOKE).

Pat was a fool for doing this and it might in the lose him a lot of business, he might be scrutinized more by local officials now all bad things. I wish all haunted houses well, success, and all their dreams fulfilled if I didn't I wouldn't waste my time offering my opinions which in this case where dead on the money. I'm not going to bash on haunters who make mistakes, have some type of unforeseen incident, or their haunt burns down or whatever... I don't even like all the vendor bashing that goes on. I don't want to see any of that... but when haunter wants to discuss the merits of a money back haunt, or a naked haunt or whatever then you should expect that not everyone will agree. However you can take the negative and the positive to understand what is in the middle. These are all good things.

Larry
                        Larry Kirchner
                        President

Comment

All the bad PR---that's right, Scary Spice saying she'll walk naked through your haunt, that's bad PR, exactly. Right? Right..........

are those crickets.........................................?

When was the last time any of our haunts was mentioned on the Today Show? Anyone? Anyone? Bueller?

Comment

The guy who owns the place is a genius

Larry, you're missing the whole idea here. He wanted to get cancelled !!!!! Still...........look at all the free press he got out of it, by doing nothing !!!!!! Great move !!!!!! He knew it would never fly, and milked it to the max !!!! What a move !!!!!! Literally thousands and thousands of dollars in free press on major tv news at 4,430, 5, 530,and 6 pm and in the mornings as well for at least 2 days heavy rotation !!!!!! Good move, man !!!!! Have a great season and thanks for the groupon discounts, shocktoberfest !!!!!!

Comment

Tater...................

And his women !!!!! Were going to attend the naked haunt party, but now he/she will be dissapointed !!!!!

Comment

I think you are missing my point... and again this has nothing to do with this haunt or any other. He didn't want it to get cancelled. All the PR is about the naked haunt nothing else... now its cancelled. So now you think whomever you mentioned is flying out there? No! All the PR they got was negated by the negative... now the city officials are all over him and on the radar. My main point was you don't want to bring unwanted attention upon yourself if it brings your city officials into your business. They can flat out put you out of business in seconds.

The PR he got was for a gimmick which is now cancelled.

It won't help his business. What would help any of our business is if we tried some gimmick that actually involved something along the lines that its so scary no one can go through until after blank blank or its so intense you have to agree to xyz waiver or you go alone or must be accompanied by a parent, all things that have been done before... but when you come up with a gimmick that gets you national PR for that then your business will skyrocket! A naked haunt NO WAY!

Larry
                                Larry Kirchner
                                President

Comment

Working...
                                X